Is 16GB going to be it?

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I have 143 apps on my phone and I only have 16gb internal memory (actually 11)

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2

kgbj83

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Since there was only the 16GB version available I purchased that and plan on buying a 64GB SDXC. Anyone seen any sales?

PastorDroid

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Even after reading all of the threads I have a hard time figuring out why 16GB is such a problem. I guess it all falls down to personal usage and organization? I can never install enough apps that would make 16 GB a problem. Add to that a 32 GB microSD, 75 (after getting more free storage from activating this phone and the EVO) GB from dropbox, as well as 5 Gigs each from Google and Microsoft... my 16GB phone now has 133 GB available for me,. Local storage (music etc) on my microSD, pics and other important or business related files in the cloud... and I'm not out of any more money up front. Works for me.

dvdmon

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Even after reading all of the threads I have a hard time figuring out why 16GB is such a problem. I guess it all falls down to personal usage and organization? I can never install enough apps that would make 16 GB a problem. Add to that a 32 GB microSD, 75 (after getting more free storage from activating this phone and the EVO) GB from dropbox, as well as 5 Gigs each from Google and Microsoft... my 16GB phone now has 133 GB available for me,. Local storage (music etc) on my microSD, pics and other important or business related files in the cloud... and I'm not out of any more money up front. Works for me.

I also am really puzzled about this. The only thing I can imagine is that some people want to have a huge library of music and videos on their device accessible to them even when there's no connection. While I get that on some level, I feel like these days most people have a data connection (3G, 4G, or Wifi) most of the time. If they didn't there wouldn't be a big point to buying such an expensive smartphone, right? 16GB is really more than enough for app spaces unless you really want to load 300+ apps, and really who needs so many? Maybe one day if apps start getting huge, I can see needing more space, but few apps seem to be more than 10-15MB, and most seem to be considerably less...

dvdmon

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Also, if you are going to count cloud storage, you might as well count Google Music accounts, which offer online access to up to 20,000 tracks of music that you can upload from your PC. I have access to my entire music library via this. I can make my most-listened-to stuff accessible offline, but generally that amounts to less than 1GB of stuff...

TheBundo

May 30, 2010
Visit site
$400? $100 for 16GB of memory? Geez? I guess that means the 64GB, if it's ever out for Sprint, will be $500-600 SUBSIDIZED! Or, what, like $1,100 contract free?

Question is, who needs that kind of storage? If you can pay $50 or so for a 64GB SDXC card and put all your video, audio, and photos on that, wouldn't that suffice? Even without rooting, 16GB should let you store multiple hundreds of apps along with their data in the phone's storage. I just can't see using all, or even half that space right now. At least not with the current app sizes. Maybe if something happens and we start seeing apps that are typically 200-500MB a pop, but currenlty I rarely see anything above, say 15MB? And most are well under 10MB, or even 5MB...

Yeah, but what if you want to take all 635 episodes of the old TV show Gunsmoke, plus the 5 TV movies they made of it after that, and take it with you on your annual 2-week pilgrimage to Area 51? You gotta have something to watch when things are slow in the sky, right? 64GB is better...................

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Please people. Remember that these phones, like the S3, DO NOT ALLOW YOU TO MOVE APPS TO THE SD CARD. You can store photos, videos, music, movies, etc., but not apps. Apps such as APPS 2 SD that previously allowed you to easily move your apps to the sd card don't work on these devices. I'm not sure if you can do so on rooted devices, but definitely not on stock devices. So, don't think you will have enough external memory for your apps, etc., if you simply install a 32GB or 64GB sd card. I suggest to those who will have apps galore on their devices that you get as much internal memory as possible. You won't regret it later.

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Please people. Remember that these phones, like the S3, DO NOT ALLOW YOU TO MOVE APPS TO THE SD CARD. You can store photos, videos, music, movies, etc., but not apps. Apps such as APPS 2 SD that previously allowed you to easily move your apps to the sd card don't work on these devices. I'm not sure if you can do so on rooted devices, but definitely not on stock devices. So, don't think you will have enough external memory for your apps, etc., if you simply install a 32GB or 64GB sd card. I suggest to those who will have apps galore on their devices that you get as much internal memory as possible. You won't regret it later.

Are you saying that apps2ext extentions/mods won't work on this phone? I thought that that was a rom issue...

dvdmon

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I fully realize that. But even with that fact, you can still fit HUNDREDS of apps on it and still have plenty of space left. That's as long as you get an microSD card to store your photos, videos, and any other data - some apps will let you save data to the card. You may not regret getting more memory, except in that you have to wait longer for phones with 32GB and 64GB to come out (if they ever do) and spend lots more for them. In my mind they simply are not necessary. No one NEEDS to so much capacity for apps. Maybe having it makes you feel better some how but I still have yet to hear a practical reason why someone would need this extra amount for apps (or for content/data if there's a much cheaper method of buying external memory for that).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non