Worst phone name ever, purposely ironic?

nathanb131

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I apologize for this rant but I really want to know if I'm the only one....

I know this is a great phone and I really like Sprint. This isn't a knock on the hardware. However, every time I see this phone advertized I cringe on behalf of Android people when they say the name. And they ALWAYS say the FULL name in the ad! I would somewhat understand if Verizon did this because they are the standard for trying to dumb something down to appeal to the 'average user'...I mean why else would anyone bother putting 'touch' in a non-blackberry smartphone name in 2011? But Sprint? Sprint who has a reputation for having the most cutting edge phones closest to their pure form?

What is wrong with just calling them ALL the Galaxy S2? Yes I know they are moderately different for each carrier but then we can all say 'the Verizon s2, Sprint s2 etc' to differentiate. Who do they think they are fooling by adding all that stuff to the name? It's only going to confuse 'the average user' and it's not fooling any of us android geeks. The last thing Android needs is to perpetuate the idea that they are fragmented compared to Apple. Which in this case is even more ironic because the Galaxy S2 line is perhaps the first flagship-level Android phone that is pretty much universally available on any carrier and therefore a trend towards un-fragmenting android. I'm not sure I could come up with a more fragmented-sounding name than GalaxyS2-Epic-4G-Touch!

I'm starting to think that this phone was named ironically, as a way of thumbing their nose at the iphone by having the exact opposite of a simple device name that 'the average user' can easily refer too. I really can't fathom any other way this name cleared 2 different marketing departments...

Sprint found a way to 'jump the shark' with a phone name. Bravo!

Who's with me?

treotraveler

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
You think that's bad, try going through life dragging a MoPho around. I don't get worked up by phone names. If the phone works, I'm all for it, whatever they call it.....

Night Train

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes I call it "My Galaxy S2" or sometimes "My Epic Touch 4G." Most of the time I just say, "My phone."

I agree that whoever named this phone went way overboard. Maybe it does simply reflect the state of the Android phone....fragmented and getting no better anytime soon.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
How about Sprint giving it a stretchy name because they wanted attention being the 1st to release US version of device topping that with 4.5 display.
Such advertising seemed to work . AT&T , T mobile & V customers made trip over for device.
hmm I'm betting 50% of them went back to original carrier due to Sprint network reliability though lol

Drummerboy1975

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
You know what's worse than saying the name? Trying to find the right case for it! Which I'm finding no know makes a good, durable, Otterbox-ish case yet.

The people at best Buy tried to sell bme a case for another Galaxy S II Touch Epic 4G Smart iPhonics phone. The opening for the speaker way off and the camera opening was way off.

I know it's very confusing unless you do some research and then it finally comes clear.

Geesh!:mad: