Tethering methods and speed

aquaholik

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
For those of you guys that are not rooted and does not need wifi or infrastructure mode, USB tethering via EasyTether or PDANet is MUCH faster than the hack sprint hotspot and I would imagine also faster than wifi tether. You get essentially the same speed as your phone is pulling with USB tethering and a fraction of it using Sprint Hotspot. Pretty useless if you want to watch netflix.

I am rooted and on Calk 2.8.1 with 4G hotspot hack(that is really capped at 3G speed on the download side) and it is easy to tether to various device(since infrastructure mode is supporte) without needing a USB cable. It is convenient but not very fast. If all you need to do is tether your laptop, EasyTether or PDANet is the way to go to get maximum speed. If you need tethering for your tablet then I guess you must root and install some custom rom. I rarely ever tether since the phone does all I need but if I am stuck in a hotel and traveling, EasyTether is what I will be using if I need speed.

Stearmandriver

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Funny, I get good 4g speeds using the hotspot hack. Just used it in a hotel last night, way faster than their wifi. About 6mbps down, way faster than any 3g speed I've seen?

I'm stock el29 rooted with cwm.

MattN03

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I tested both PDAnet and EasyTether Pro and both works fine on laptop or desktop. Have you enable USB Debugging.

Yep, USB debugging in enabled. I used PDAnet with my EVO for a couple years without issue, so I think it's something with Samsung & Windows 7.

aquaholik

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Funny, I get good 4g speeds using the hotspot hack. Just used it in a hotel last night, way faster than their wifi. About 6mbps down, way faster than any 3g speed I've seen?

How did you get the Sprint hotspot hack to work if it is not built in the custom rom? If you are stock, then rooted, how did you add just the Sprint hotspot hack to the stock rooted rom? Is there a zip file somewhere that you flash?

aquaholik

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
How did you get the Sprint hotspot hack to work if it is not built in the custom rom? If you are stock, then rooted, how did you add just the Sprint hotspot hack to the stock rooted rom? Is there a zip file somewhere that you flash?

Nevermind, found the standalone flash for hotspot on XDA.

aquaholik

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Well I'll be darned. I was up in Atlanta last week. My 4g was showing about 10Mbps download speed and I was able to tether the touchpad and pulled 4-6Mbps on it. Came back to Florida, get the same 10Mbps on 4G, tether the touchpad but it only pulled 400-600kbps. Can't figure that one out. Difference cities, similar 4g speed, but different hotspot speeds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa