factory reset... questiot (NOOB)

NYGat0r

May 29, 2012
Visit site
what does it exactly do...

what will i lose...

do i have to remove sd card before i do it...

is there a program i can use to back up every inch of my phone just in case? and where will that file be if i do create one and reset?

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Factory reset returns your phone to way it was when you got out of the box. Sd card will not be affected.

Only way to back up is to have root. Easiest way is with cwm's recovery, to make a nandroid backup.

Sent using my MoPho-King photon

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Factory reset returns your phone to way it was when you got out of the box. Sd card will not be affected.

Only way to back up is to have root. Easiest way is with cwm's recovery, to make a nandroid backup.

Sent using my MoPho-King photon

Untrue. There is an app called "MyBackup" and you dont need root. Only backup your apps NOT THE DATA.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Tsukiyomi

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I did my unrooted phone with the free version of the MyBackup app from the Play Store. It took a while and you still have to change your wallpaper/arrange your widgets & shortcuts back onto your screens but it backed every single bit of info to my SD card (the paid version lets you backup online). Once I'd backed everything up I removed my SD card just to be on the safe side then did the reset and put the card back in. When your phone's up and running like it was from the box, set up your Google account, go into the Play Store and download MyBackup again. Then just use that to pull all your data back to your phone and voila. You're just left with the job of making your phone look the way it did beforehand or having a clean slate.

Here's a tip for you though - take screenshots of each of your screens. That way you can see how everything was set out when you come to putting everything back in its place.

Hope that helps. :)

EDIT: Beaten to it by Dark_Knight2. Funnily enough it was one of your posts that led me to do all of the above and it seems to have fixed most of my issues. Just waiting to see if the email LED works again (the blue FB one does) and what the battery life's like, but so far so good - cheers!

EDIT 2: I've been using an app called Folder Organizer. All of my settings from that have now gone :(

Last edited:

Starfinder

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I performed the back-up of my apps to an sd card. I did the factory reset and then downloaded MyBackup and selected Restore and received an error message stating no back ups were found at the current back up path. It says to also make sure the back up location path is set properly to the parent folder of the rerware folder. Current backup location path:/mnt/sdcard

Any suggestions? When I logged into the Play Store it only downloaded a few of the apps that I previously had.

atl10pnr

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Go to play.google.com . Log on then click on my android apps. It will list all your apps. Select which ones you want and you can remotely download them to your phone. Atleast that's the way it's supposed to work. I have yet to do it.

Starfinder

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Their tech support replied so here is the fix for anyone who runs into this problem. Uninstal the Mybackup app. Turn the phone off/on. Re download the MyBackup app without the phone being plugged into anything. It worked like a charm for me.

paulhafer

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi Tsukiyomi...Thanks for the great tip on screen shots before hard reset! I DON'T want to do a factory reset, but my Sprint SGS24GT has just functioned so poorly since ICS update, I really must try something. I loved this phone and have only had it a few months, but since the update, it functions slower and hangs, and I personally have found ics to gingerbread to be a lot like vista to xp...it broke or disabled or moved a lot of things I routinely do, and seemed to change others only for the sake of change.
*very poor battery performance
*no more usb mass storage to PC
*Contacts no longer a top line option when pressing Phone, making it more of a need to waste desktop space to have Contacts button easily available as it comes originally (I had used 3 of those bottom buttons for other functions)
*automatic brightness seems to occasionally be re-activating itself
*little things like, could the asterisk key been buried any further? (Go ahead and try to find it)...and, on GB you could tap on top bar of home screen would reveal date...no more
*overall slower operation of everything, including browser...lots of freeze-like moments, which is the main reason I'm considering the factory reset to see if that might help, but I hate having to take the time to do that and re-customize my phone layout, when it may not help.
Thanks again for the tip that will help restoring the layout.
Paul

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2