[SOLVED] help needed, replaced build.prop & phone won't start up

zharris24

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: help needed, replaced build.prop and phone won't start up now

Hiero, if you have any success in getting a backup please let me know. I am in the exact same situation as you are and have tried the previous xda links as well. It would be much appreciated !

hiero

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

Hiero, if you have any success in getting a backup please let me know. I am in the exact same situation as you are and have tried the previous xda links as well. It would be much appreciated !

for sure, I will share if I get the nandroid backup before UL can get it to me (or if he does, I will let you know!). At least I've got someone else to feel my pain here! lol :-!

zharris24

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I hear you! This happened to me yesterday morning as I was messing with firmware files as well. I guess that's what you get for trying to do things "too quickly" and skipping the backup step. If I come across a backup as well you will be first on my list to receive it.

Reactions: hiero

hiero

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

Now now what have we learned from all of this?

Fortune favors those who nandroid :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

It will certainly be the first thing I do when my phone comes back to life ;) :p

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Just found this!! Someone please tell me this will fix things?? And how do I use the file? (am downloading it now)

Samsung releases source code for Sprint CDMA Galaxy S III | The Droid Guy

This is of no use unless your a kernel or ROM developer. This is the source code which is required by law for them to release as an OEM, observing the GPL rules.

There is nothing here for me or you to flash.

Again guys, as you continue on your journey down the Android path remember to keep passing the knowledge along in which you have gained by this... ALWAYS fully understand what it is you are doing and NEVER skip the Nandroid Backup, especially on a brand new released device.. Sucks to know that the 5 minutes it would of taken to make the Nandroid Backup could of saved you from all this mess ;)

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for looking out UL! unfortunately, that only fixes the bootloader it looks like (I hope I'm getting the terminology correct here). I had found that link earlier and actually went ahead and tried it, unfortunately, it helps you get the phone to boot, but not fix the ROM problems that I incurred by trying to mess with build.prop (boy am I learning some lessons fast).

If you can nandroid for me tomorrow that would be fantastic UL! Please keep me updated and for the rest of the forum, I would be happy to provide that stock backup to anyone who needs it (with the ok from the original owner of course).

Sure thing... Give me a little time, but it shouldn't be a problem. :cool:

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: dmmarck and hiero

hiero

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

This is of no use unless your a kernel or ROM developer. This is the source code which is required by law for them to release as an OEM, observing the GPL rules.

Again guys, as you continue on your journey down the Android path remember to keep passing the knowledge along in which you have gained by this... ALWAYS fully understand what it is you are doing and NEVER skip the Nandroid Backup, especially on a brand new released device.. Sucks to know that the 5 minutes it would of taken to make the Nandroid Backup could of saved you from all this mess ;)

ah well, worth a glimmer of hope, UL to the rescue now!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Lol... I couldn't wait, so I did the Nandroid already. So now the question becomes.... How do I get it to hiero?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Do you have Dropbox? You should be able to upload it to there and throw him a link. It'll be big. It should be a folder within your SDcard...probably clockworkmod is the name (or something like that or ROM Manager). Find the folder with the name it saved as (usually the date/time), and that's what you'll want.

You can longpress on that with something like Root Explorer to share it, or you can plug your phone in and simply copy and paste that folder from your phone's drive to your computer then upload from there.

Reactions: Uncle Louie

zharris24

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Definitely a learn from my mistake moment... You know I will be taking a backup the first second I get my firmware backup and running!

hiero

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

Do you have Dropbox? You should be able to upload it to there and throw him a link. It'll be big. It should be a folder within your SDcard...probably clockworkmod is the name (or something like that or ROM Manager). Find the folder with the name it saved as (usually the date/time), and that's what you'll want.

You can longpress on that with something like Root Explorer to share it, or you can plug your phone in and simply copy and paste that folder from your phone's drive to your computer then upload from there.

Yes! I just sent a PM with dropbox, yousendit, etc, depends on the size of the file of course, what should we expect as far as size ballpark?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Yes! I just sent a PM with dropbox, yousendit, etc, depends on the size of the file of course, what should we expect as far as size ballpark?

They can get big. I've had some as little at 500 megs and some as big as 1.3 gigs, depending on apps and such of course.

Is there a size limit for uploading with dropbox? I've never gotten crazy with it so i have no idea. He could also zip it up, but then you MUST unzip it b/c it needs to be in its "folder" form for you to restore.

Then you're going to have to make sure that you have your backups folder (which you undoubtedly do you if you have already made on). Slide that sucker in there, and don't rename it. People like doing that, but honestly, at this point, we're taking the path of least resistance and least risk lol

hiero

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

They can get big. I've had some as little at 500 megs and some as big as 1.3 gigs, depending on apps and such of course.

Is there a size limit for uploading with dropbox? I've never gotten crazy with it so i have no idea. He could also zip it up, but then you MUST unzip it b/c it needs to be in its "folder" form for you to restore.

Then you're going to have to make sure that you have your backups folder (which you undoubtedly do you if you have already made on). Slide that sucker in there, and don't rename it. People like doing that, but honestly, at this point, we're taking the path of least resistance and least risk lol

wow, yeah, dropbox's web interface has a limit of 300MB, but if you use the desktop version the only limit is how much space you have available (i.e. if your max storage is 2GB, then you could upload a 2GB file.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

wow, yeah, dropbox's web interface has a limit of 300MB, but if you use the desktop version the only limit is how much space you have available (i.e. if your max storage is 2GB, then you could upload a 2GB file.

Well then let's hope Uncle Louie is a Dropbox application enthusiast :).

Does Google Drive have an upload limit?

zharris24

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

If there is anything I can do to help let me know. I have Google Drive, SkyDrive, Dropbox, and potential an FTP site we could through it up on. Also mediafire may be an option....

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
how big is the nandroid backup?

Worst case take 7 zip and just Zip/Compress the file... That should compress it with 7zip's stock settings by at least a good 60-75% of original size...

That would then make the upload and download easier for both of you... Then when he downloads the file, unzip/extract it before placing it in his clockwork/backup/ directory to restore in CWM.

I've had to do this many times when uploading an Odin tar file (Which is what we use on Samsung devices...) they are normally about 200+ megabytes for the factory restore image so it compresses it to a nice 150-160 megabytes....

Mediafire & Mediashare both have 200 megabyte file size limits along with many other free file hosting services.. So the "zipping" option is a nice workaround to fit those bigger files ;) Yes this isn't my first rodeo .... LOL

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

Last edited: