Premium Date charges for what?

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I know those of you who have the Galaxy S III (or are waiting for it) and the EVO LTE have/will have great devices. And you also have concerns about the operations, etc., of those devices. But has anyone asked what the deal is with Sprint's Premium Data charge? I realize it isn't a lot of money. But are you being charged for a service that doesn't exist? There is no Sprint LTE network yet, and your devices won't connect to the WiMax network. All you have right now is the pathetically slow (in many locations) Sprint 3G network. Since I don't have either device yet...although I'm hoping...I don't have a point of reference.

So I ask, is Sprint charging you the Premium Data service? It's mandatory if you have these devices. Am I out of line? Has anyone questioned this? Or is this just something that makes you go, "Hmmmm"?

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
They came up with the Premium data charge when the original Evo 4G was released. At that time people assumed that was for the 4G service and Sprint was kind of cloudy about it, not giving a straight answer. This was during the time when other carriers still had unlimited data as well, so they couldn't use that as an excuse, but that's exactly what it is now, an extra charge to be able to give their customers unlimited data.

I am really hoping the new Network Vision system will be all we are hoping for, the best of both worlds: Speeds that can keep up with the competition and unlimited data.

Hope that answers your question.

Reactions: Ntchwaidumela

fivegear

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
This is and has been a major point of discussion in other threads ever since the original EVO came out and they started this fee. Sprint charges it for any smart phone basically. They even have the nerve to charge it on Nextel iDEN "smart" phones. I have an iDEN BlackBerry still on my account that they would charge me this fee on if it wasn't grandfathered in. Now what really burns my ass is that they have never even bothered to update the Sprint side of the network in my area to 3G let alone any form of 4G. Yes that's right, I still have dial up speeds, never any better than that. I have tried many times to get some form answer out of them if and when they will ever update the towers in this area to no avail... :mad:

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
This is and has been a major point of discussion in other threads ever since the original EVO came out and they started this fee. Sprint charges it for any smart phone basically. They even have the nerve to charge it on Nextel iDEN "smart" phones. I have an iDEN BlackBerry still on my account that they would charge me this fee on if it wasn't grandfathered in. Now what really burns my ass is that they have never even bothered to update the Sprint side of the network in my area to 3G let alone any form of 4G. Yes that's right, I still have dial up speeds, never any better than that. I have tried many times to get some form answer out of them if and when they will ever update the towers in this area to no avail... :mad:

Now that really sucks! Are there any other options for you? :-\

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Yup, if you ask sprint reps now, they say that the capabilities of the phone itself allow for more than average usage of data:mad:

even the samsung transform which has no access to 4g have this charge for the same reason

in any case...it is what it is...they wont remove it.....I've tried along with many others on forums just like this one

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Yup, if you ask sprint reps now, they say that the capabilities of the phone itself allow for more than average usage of data:mad:

even the samsung transform which has no access to 4g have this charge for the same reason

in any case...it is what it is...they wont remove it.....I've tried along with many others on forums just like this one

iirc it was initially only for the wimax capable devices but people complained about being charged a premium for wimax when it wasn't available everywhere so they just started tacking it on any new smartphone.

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I've been paying for this Premium data charge since I got my OG EVO 2 years ago. Never had wimax in my area, and of course no LTE either.

fivegear

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Now that really sucks! Are there any other options for you? :-\

Only other carriers. Which by the way all have 3G in my area and HAVE HAD for a long time. It won't be long before Verizon even has LTE here, before Sprint can be bothered with giving us 3G. Even the prepaid carrier Cricket has 3G here and Sprint doesn't..... Our towers (plural) still send out 1xrtt only, no rev 0 or rev A for us.

The only hope we have at this point is the death of iDEN having an actual date means that they will most likely update us to 3G before that happens so they can migrate current iDEN Direct Connect users to CDMA.

Maybe if I didn't have 6 lines on my account I would be more willing to jump to a different carrier. At the end of the day it doesn't much matter how much cheaper Sprint is than the competition if the service is not just terrible but unusable in many aspects...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I think as someone mentioned here it comes down to Sprint's way of getting a few bucks out of many to keep the unlimited data alive. Its not based on 4g Wimax or 4g LTE, its based on the devices that are known or considered to consume more of the network bandwidth and data usage. In some ways they fail with their reasoning behind it... My daughter has my old BB Curve and she beats my wife and I hands down on data usage every month and we don't get charged the extra $10 for her device.. So in that respect, FAIL....

But its a win win for me not having to pay $10 more when she is the real data gobbler in the family :)

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
iirc it was initially only for the wimax capable devices but people complained about being charged a premium for wimax when it wasn't available everywhere so they just started tacking it on any new smartphone.

Actually, you are correct....In the VERY beginning it had to do with the fact that clearwire was charging sprint for every wimax phone activated EVEN if the phone was activated in an area without wimax. It was later sprint did the following...

I.... its based on the devices that are known or considered to consume more of the network bandwidth and data usage. .... :)

I think its just to make more $$$ because they could... and for those that were against it...sprint had boost and virgin unhappy customers could go run off to....so in the end sprint wins again! :D

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
No data charge, no network upgrade EVER.

Forget that it's a premium data charge...you are still better off than the other carriers, assuming you can live with 3G and use WIFI when you can.

If you can't deal with it, I would absolutely switch as soon as I was able to.

Really...there are far bigger problems in this country than agonizing over something such as this folks. Unemployment is high, the government and wallstreet are nothing but crooks, Europe is about to crash and drag down the worlds economy further and you worry about Sprint charging you @120 a year to improve itself for you?

If only this energy could be directed toward things that should really matter. :(

Reactions: mrpat67

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Yep they started charging extra for data when the Palm Pre was released. It was supposed to fund the LTE build out

correction: WiMaxx / LTE build out

Last edited:

pteezay

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I know those of you who have the Galaxy S III (or are waiting for it) and the EVO LTE have/will have great devices. And you also have concerns about the operations, etc., of those devices. But has anyone asked what the deal is with Sprint's Premium Data charge? I realize it isn't a lot of money. But are you being charged for a service that doesn't exist? There is no Sprint LTE network yet, and your devices won't connect to the WiMax network. All you have right now is the pathetically slow (in many locations) Sprint 3G network. Since I don't have either device yet...although I'm hoping...I don't have a point of reference.

So I ask, is Sprint charging you the Premium Data service? It's mandatory if you have these devices. Am I out of line? Has anyone questioned this? Or is this just something that makes you go, "Hmmmm"?

Bro, you got to be new.
This is a lost cause and known on this Site for almost three years now. Quit the crying, stand in line, and pay up with the rest of us. It's the ultimate hustle, I know, but what can we do about it?

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Well if you look at plans and cost you can see that even with the $10 fee Sprint is still cheaper. using the 450 mins of talk $40 on Verizon, Unlimited Text $20 and 2GBS of data $30. This adds up to be $90 without tax or discounts. Plans - Verizon Wireless

Sprint however the cost are $69 for 450 minutes talk, unlimited text and data + 10 fee for smart phones so your total is $80 before tax and discounts. http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/sho...abId=pt_individual_tab&INTNAV=ATG:HE:IndPlans

So on one line for the same stuff your saving $10 bucks. Depending on your area if Sprint is great and you do not have a problem with there service they would be the best option for you. If your service is crappy and slow then spend the extra money for a service that would work for you.

This fee omg has been on Sprint for 2 years now. Can we all just understand that its for having a smart phone lol .

Before anyone blames Sprint for over charging or having crappy service. Make sure you do your homework and look into where you live and travel to see who has the best coverage and network that will work the best for you.

Its like I pull up to MannyZ28 with my Kia Sophia and get upset when he smokes me off the line. But not when I pull up with my Charger Hemi lol

Check your area and service then pick the best carrier for you. :)

vz3j84

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I am with Sprint for more than 10 years and as crapy as the coverage is in my area I did not switch. Unlimited data and pricing is a good incentive to me however I would love my GS 3 on Verizon instead of Sprint. LTE from Verizon is great in my area.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

LMychajluk

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
As sndpalce showed, overall, Sprint works out to be cheaper. I went from a $110 bill on VZW w/ 3g to $80 w/ Sprint when I got my Epic almost 2 years ago.

However, I'm still a bit annoyed at the 'Premium Data' charge. As an IT professional, data to me is a series of 0's and 1's. My data usage is measured in how many of these 0's and 1's I use. When roaming, I don't get charged seperately for 'data' and 'premium data'. So, what's 'Premium Data'? Sprint can't define it, and they can't quantify it by itemizing it on my bill, but for the past 2 years, I've been paying for it. I still don't have 4G coverage at my home in a suburb of NYC (and my phone rarely switches to 4G even when I'm in the 4G coverage areas), and there's no data my Epic can access that other non-4G smartphones can't, so Premium Data is 'not' 4G, right?

If they want to call it a 'Smartphone' fee or 'Unlimited Data Fee', fine...whatever. Actually, I'd just as soon they increase the data plan fees and be done with it. Just stop the marketing BS.

Makad

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I've been paying for this Premium data charge since I got my OG EVO 2 years ago. Never had wimax in my area, and of course no LTE either.

I'm in the exact same position , 2 years no 4G. To think sprint was the first 1 with 4G now they are in last place. I want $240 back for that bogus charge.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm in the exact same position , 2 years no 4G. To think sprint was the first 1 with 4G now they are in last place. I want $240 back for that bogus charge.

It's not a wimax tax, it's pretty much become a 'Smartphone' fee or 'Unlimited Data Fee' as suggested above. Sprint knew people were complaining so they figured they'd just pick everyone's pocket.