Can I still return the evo LTE for an S3?

Scotlac

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Ultimately it's a personal preference decision between 2 great phones, so I'm going to resist the urge to troll this thread with all the reasons I think the EVO is better ;):p

I know it's a little off topic but I would really love to hear you reasons. :)

I'm in the same boat as these other guys. I had the Evo LTE for 14 days and returned it because of the multitasking issues and a couple of other little concerns. I plan on trying the GS3 for a couple of weeks (I've never owned a Samsung phone before) but if I don't like it I'm definitely going back to the Evo.

I've recently heard people saying that one of the reasons that the GS3 is faster and gets better battery life is because it's running the 4.0.4 software as opposed to the Evo which is running 4.0.3. I'm kind of intrigued by this idea that the Evo may have some major performance improvements once that update is delivered.

crs2265

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I'll throw in my 2 cents here... I always loved HTC and was never a big fan of Samsung. BUT, the last HTC phone i truly liked was the OG EVO 4G. I had the Shift briefly and went back, then when it was time for my next upgrade I flirted with the EVO 3D but it just didn't do anything for me so I opted for the Galaxy SII (or whatever long name you wanna call it). I've had this phone for 6 months and yes, it felt cheaper and "plasticky" it also had many cool features that surpassed anything before it.

Now fast forward to the EVO LTE I received mine almost a month ago. I was excited by all the hype and really thought they would come close to the original EVO. Truth is, it looked great coming out of the box but it really isn't all that special. It also feels plasticky (is that a real word?) the camera wasn't the ultimate camera it was hyped up to be. Hell, even the shutter button which i thought i would appreciate, wasn't that big a deal to me after all this time without one. The multitasking sucks, and Sense is still a piece of crap that keeps reloading itself making me wait. While Galaxy's TouchWiz isn't quite as fluent, it never made my phone sluggish.

Bottom line is im switching the GS3, my EVO LTE is on its way back to BB and I had to go back to the Galaxy S2 for the time being (as my GS3 will take a few days to ship) and i[ve already noticed that the GS2 felt friendlier to me than the EVOLTE did. And i know this is crazy but the EVOLTE screen is not quite the masterpiece it was made out to be. The minute i fired up my GS2 and saw the vibrant colors i had to scratch my head,,, To me it looked better, more colorful, vivid! Maybe im crazy... Needless to say, im very much welcoming the GS3, sad to say, this was a very easy decision to make...

Sorry HTC... I think another clincher to this deal for me was Samsungs ability to keep the same form to the GS3 on all carriers internationally, Thi swas a huge move in my book and will finally give us a mobile phone that will sell the numbers to warrant accessories as easy to find as the iStuff.... Brilliant move!

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I know it's a little off topic but I would really love to hear you reasons. :)

I'm in the same boat as these other guys. I had the Evo LTE for 14 days and returned it because of the multitasking issues and a couple of other little concerns. I plan on trying the GS3 for a couple of weeks (I've never owned a Samsung phone before) but if I don't like it I'm definitely going back to the Evo.

I've recently heard people saying that one of the reasons that the GS3 is faster and gets better battery life is because it's running the 4.0.4 software as opposed to the Evo which is running 4.0.3. I'm kind of intrigued by this idea that the Evo may have some major performance improvements once that update is delivered.

With apologies to the OP, I'll engage, but try to keep it out of the troll-zone. I was only over here on curiosity because I'm a phone geek in general with no fanboy affiliations to any particular brand (except that I can't stand Apple), and this thread caught my eye.

TBH, I was stuck on an Optimus S, itching to upgrade, and got caught up in the LTEVO hype before I knew anything firm about GS3 availability. Got it on the first day pre-orders were shipped. I'm not the kind of person that can jump around on phones every few months, so I wanted something that I could live with for the life of the contract.

I'm a big believer that any software shortcomings can be fixed (I was a ROM-whore on my Optimus), but you're stuck with the hardware - internal specs and overall look/feel of the phone itself. Developer support is already through the roof over on XDA, and once HTC finally releases the source code it's only going to get better. I'm sure the the GS3 will have similar support as popular as it is.

Specs being pretty much a wash (though the extra GB of RAM would be nice), it comes down to the form factor and the display for me. I played with some other Samsung phones and just did not like the way they were constructed. They felt cheap and plastic-y compared to the LTEVO. I was also concerned about reports of subpar GPS/WiFi/cell radios on Samsung phones.

I did not like the display of the Samsungs I played with - the colors seemed oversaturated and cartoony on the Note, dark and just "not right" on the GNEX. Going back to the LTEVO was a relief to my eyes. Crisp, clean, just right. Jury is still out on GS3 display because I haven't seen one in person, I could only go on what I saw at the time and knew that the GS3 display was based on very similar technology.

I also just don't like the way the GS3 looks, which is just a personal opinion and not an affront to those that do like it. Some people think the LTEVO 3-tone back is ugly - I like it.

These are just my opinions and I go with what works for me. Your opinions may differ and something else may work for you. The beauty is that you can't go wrong choosing between the two. We're talking Rolls vs Bentley while everything else is out there is Chevy and Ford. These are great times for Android and Apple knows it.

Reactions: Scotlac

El Nivek

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Sense. Man I never used it before but it blows touch wiz out of the water. Do you think the new touch wiz offers as many features as sense. I really like how it uploads pictures to facebook and the people widgit. Is the new touch wiz just as good?

TouchWiz offers a lot of software features like S Voice, Smart Stay, and motion based gestures. There's no people widget on Touchwiz but in my experience Touchwiz is just as good as Sense, but they offer different features. If you need help comparing you should look at this.

It seems like your problems are mainly with Sense. You could try flashing CM9 on the Evo LTE, cause HTC's hardware rocks. I miss the kickstand of the OG Evo and the screen on the Evo LTE blows the SGSIII out of the water. The 2GB RAM in the SGSIII is nice to be sure, but I wouldn't consider a huge deciding factor. Still, I think both phones are top notch and you can't go wrong with either one.

ibleedbloo

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Must have missed your post. This is good to know. All I want to do is exchange it for an S3. are you sure that I will be able to get get the discount price ($199) on the S3?

My experience was on day 29 went to a best buy (different from the one I purchased phone from, but no problems) and told the person in the cell phone department I wanted to exchange my EVO LTE for iPhone. After about 2 minutes of typing away on his computer he brought out the iPhone and started the activation process. As he begun activating I began hard resetting my Evo LTE and we both finished about the same time. No more than 15 minutes later I was back in my car. Painless.

Sent from my OG EVO.

vertcobra99

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
My experience was on day 29 went to a best buy (different from the one I purchased phone from, but no problems) and told the person in the cell phone department I wanted to exchange my EVO LTE for iPhone. After about 2 minutes of typing away on his computer he brought out the iPhone and started the activation process. As he begun activating I began hard resetting my Evo LTE and we both finished about the same time. No more than 15 minutes later I was back in my car. Painless.

Sent from my OG EVO.

sweet thats great news. I am going to try out an S3 for sure. Did they charge you a restocking fee?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez