[ROM] ICS SDK Port [WIP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Ok, here's the steps for changing the Downloads icon to Android 4.0 and fixing up the look of the Settings sections so they all have the right icons. Check back one page to see what I mean. To both of the following, you'll need the android sdk manager and tools with everything up to date and "SAMSUNG USB Driver for Mobile Phones" downloaded from the SDK manager. (Let me know if you can't find that, i'll help.) Back up your system, as always, then delete "DownloadProviderUI.apk" from your phone using a root file explorer. Reboot your phone. Continue on to the following steps:

Download icon:

When we finish, it will look like this: Click to view quoted image

Step 1: Plug in your phone and turn on USB debugging by going to Settings > Developer options > USB debugging. Your Nexus S 4G must be running this ROM. I only tried this on the latest 3.6 release from yesterday.

Step 2: Browse to the "tools" folder in the program files. On Windows, go to (My) Computer > double clock the "C:" drive, go to Program Files, Android, android-sdk, tools, then finally double click ddms.bat. If that doesn't open up, right click it and click "Run as Administrator".

Step 3: Let it open up and when it does, you'll see a string of letters in numbers with a tiny image of a phone to the left of it. If you don't see this, make sure USB debugging is on. Click that, then click the Device menu at the top and choose File Explorer.

Step 4: Download the following file and put it on your desktop.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15668564/DownloadProviderUi.apk

Step 5: Go to system then app

Step 6: Click on any .apk in that folder, then choose the icon at the top left with a small phone with an arrow on it facing the right. Click it, then find the apk we downloaded in Step 4. Double click it click open if it doesn't automatically. "DownloadProviderUI.apk" will be added to the list of apks. Then, click that apk and choose the same icon we chose before, the one with the arrow facing the right.

Step 7: Go to your app drawer and check to see if Downloads has been added to it. Then icon should be the new downloads icon as see above. If not, reboot your phone, then check.

Changing the Settings app as see on the previous page:

Follow the same steps as above, including the steps in the paragraph at the top of this post first.

When you get to step 4, download the following file instead of the Downloads apk.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15668564/Settings.apk

Follow the same exact steps after step 4, except you'll be dealing with the Settings apk from above, instead of the Downloads apk.

If you need any help, please let me know via PM or here. :) Post letting me know how it worked out for you.

PS: I tried just deleting the original files then trying to install them by copying to system/app on my phone and it didn't work which is why I tried this.

Followed this, but when I got to deleting the DownloadProviderUI.apk from my phone, it keeps saying" Deleting file....
Then after a few seconds,
File not deleted....

What could I be doing wrong?

Batting1000

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it was a link to one that didn't force close for me.

--

My superuser force closes too, but when allowing root permissions, it works fine. You could try pulling the file from the phone in the same file manager interface in the sdk manager

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I long tap and select delete from a file manager, shows up in market as root file manager, but must not be. What free root file explorer to use?

I recommend ES File Explorer. Make sure to hit menu -> settings and give it root access + mount system as writable.

m3grady2

May 8, 2011
Visit site
The market force closes when I open it and click on apps. Also fancy Widgets no longer works it just force closes when adding a widget on the screen. I'm on 3.6

FL0OD

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I am sorry I just have to say this. It absolutely amazes me how impatient people are. You do realize that Beezy and the other people that work on this rom do this for fun and more than likely a hobby. For people to ask for updates on a daily basis and what's next all the time just boggles my mind. If everyone was paying for this I could maybe understand some of these comments but only some. Just be thankful and grateful that these gentlemen even decided to share any of this with us. Beezy could have easily kept this all to himself and no one would have seen this until the official release. But for whatever reason he did want to share this, and I am only guessing, because of all the hounding, excessive comments on here, probably wishes he didn't at times. I imagine he has a life, a job, a relationship, and all those things should be far more important than putting out the latest greatest little update just to put the crying masses at bay. If this was something easy to do than you would see Nexus S 4G Ice Cream Sandwich roms all over the place. Let's all share our experiences, try to help where we can, keep up with the thread, and just lay back and wait. Or you could always make your own ICS rom. *rant

Sent from my neXus s 4G

Batting1000

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I am sorry I just have to say this. It absolutely amazes me how impatient people are. You do realize that Beezy and the other people that work on this kernel do this for fun and more than likely a hobby. For people to ask for updates on a daily basis and what's next all the time just boggles my mind. If everyone was paying for this I could maybe understand some of these comments but only some. Just be thankful and grateful that these gentlemen even decided to share any of this with us. Beezy could have easily kept this all to himself and no one would have seen this until the official release. But for whatever reason he did want to share this, and I am only guessing, because of all the hounding, excessive comments on here, probably wishes he didn't at times. I imagine he has a life, a job, a relationship, and all those things should be far more important than putting out the latest greatest little update just to put the crying masses at bay. If this was something easy to do than you would see Nexus S 4G Ice Cream Sandwich roms all over the place. Let's all share our experiences, try to help where we can, keep up with the thread, and just lay back and wait. Or you could always make your own ICS rom. *rant

Sent from my neXus s 4G

Not sure what the heck you are talking about because no one, in the last few pages at least has shown any sign of impatience, nor has anyone complained or the like.
If you are referring to my post about face lock, I was simply being sarcastic and it is quite obvious. In fact I've been helping beezy, even ask him. No one has told him to go faster. He told us he is doing this for fun so I respect that.

Please, don't post garbage like that without proof because I haven't seen anyone deliberately ask for daily updates.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

FL0OD

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what the heck you are talking about because no one, in the last few pages at least has shown any sign of impatience, nor has anyone complained or the like.
If you are referring to my post about face lock, I was simply being sarcastic and it is quite obvious. In fact I've been helping beezy, even ask him. No one has told him to go faster. He told us he is doing this for fun so I respect that.

Please, don't post garbage like that without proof because I haven't seen anyone deliberately ask for daily updates.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

I know you are on here all the time and I was not referring to you so do not be offended. You brought the super cool launcher over that I love. That being said as you read through this thread you cannot deny there are way to many posts asking about updates and what not. That was my point and how ungrateful a lot of folks seem to be. This thread now is over 150+ posts surely if you need any "proof" as you call it there is plenty. Not here to argue with you Batting, I truly appreciate your contributions as I am a big asthetics fans and you have made this rom more authentic.

Sent from my neXus s 4G

Status
Not open for further replies.