New to Android, installed ICS

ludvball

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,

I am new to Android. I had WebOS prior to tthe Nexus S 4G. I just rooted last night and installed ICS CM9.0.0-RCO-NS4G. I also installed the Google Apps ROM. Are there any other packages that I would need to install? The only issue I have noticed so far is that I get a message that clock has stopped. Thanks for any advice.

I am also curious if there are other versions that would be recommended over what I installed?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the NS4G and The Other Side (Rooting).

Good pick going with CM9, I'm sure you will have fun exploring what it has to offer. You did right installing the Google Apps package and that is all you need to make that ROM package function.

I always recommend to users to grab a few ROMs, take em all for a couple day test drive like a new car... Try them out, get a feel for them and the differences until you find a ROM that fits your style, feel and needs..

ludvball

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks!

I have ROM manager installed and was looking on there. It looks like there are many ROM's out there. It could be fun trying a few different ones. I have to be good about how much time I put into this, or my wife may not be very happy with me. :p i will have to try a few out though.

Any thoughts on the message that I get? It says 'sorry the clock has stopped'. I guess it is a remnant of the ROM build.

Also, what would you recommend for a tether app to install? I want to be able to use my laptop and touchpad when traveling. I was considering 'wireless tether for root' or 'barnacle wifi tether'

mikiemike

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
the clock stopping message is probably going to require a factory reset to resolve. easy to do and highly recomended. after you flash a rom it is not a bad idea to do a quick reset just to clear the air so to speak. and also remember to always wipe everything while in recovery before you flash a new rom. this means factory reset, wipe cache and wipe dalvik cache. find the last one in the advanced menu. I recomend flashing roms from recovery, not through rom manager, you will be more familiar with your phone and it's workings and rom manager doesn't usually wipe everything. great for downloading roms though, I have the premium license, I suggest you do the same if you haven't yet. also install titanium back up or something equivilent, it will save you a boatload of time re-installing your apps after you flash a different rom. (keeps the wife off your tail!)

I am running code name android and love it. give it a try. just remember to back up your current rom before flashing a new one, and rename the backups afterwards so they make sense to you.

Welcome to the NS4G forum!

smcolbert

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I started off using the dooderbutt from, which was ok, but I'm on the one that's built from the supposed official leak now and it's flawless. Everything works fine. I'm going to switch to the official update when it's out, cuz I just tend to prefer stock when it comes to Nexus. I'm getting the Sprint Galaxy Nexus when it comes out anyway, so it doesn't even really matter to me anymore.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

drummer7

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I started off using the dooderbutt from, which was ok, but I'm on the one that's built from the supposed official leak now and it's flawless. Everything works fine. I'm going to switch to the official update when it's out, cuz I just tend to prefer stock when it comes to Nexus. I'm getting the Sprint Galaxy Nexus when it comes out anyway, so it doesn't even really matter to me anymore.

I have the latest dooderbutt update and my phone seems a bit...slower....it lags up often switching from screen to screen and just seems a bit buggy. Do you definitely recognize better performance with the stock leaked update

ludvball

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
the clock stopping message is probably going to require a factory reset to resolve. easy to do and highly recomended. after you flash a rom it is not a bad idea to do a quick reset just to clear the air so to speak. and also remember to always wipe everything while in recovery before you flash a new rom. this means factory reset, wipe cache and wipe dalvik cache. find the last one in the advanced menu. I recomend flashing roms from recovery, not through rom manager, you will be more familiar with your phone and it's workings and rom manager doesn't usually wipe everything. great for downloading roms though, I have the premium license, I suggest you do the same if you haven't yet. also install titanium back up or something equivilent, it will save you a boatload of time re-installing your apps after you flash a different rom. (keeps the wife off your tail!)

I am running code name android and love it. give it a try. just remember to back up your current rom before flashing a new one, and rename the backups afterwards so they make sense to you.

Welcome to the NS4G forum!

Great advice....Thanks! Installing Titanium Back up now. Then going to reset. I was looking for a guide last night, but didn't find any info of this sort. Android Forum is great!

I will let you know how things workout.

ludvball

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I backed everything up to Titanium backup, then went into recovery, factory reset, wipe cache, wipe dalvick cache. rebooted, then reinstalled from titanium backup. I am getting more messages that apps are stopping. Should I have reinstalled the ROM before rebooting?

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

can you point me in the direction of the rom you're talking about?

mikiemike

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I backed everything up to Titanium backup, then went into recovery, factory reset, wipe cache, wipe dalvick cache. rebooted, then reinstalled from titanium backup. I am getting more messages that apps are stopping. Should I have reinstalled the ROM before rebooting?

Make sure when you restore your apps with titanium backup that you do application only, no data. I would get some force closes also, it usually works itself through. Also some if your apps may not be ICS compatible.

ludvball

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I have some more questions. I have been running Peters latest ROM for while. early last week, I started having random reboots as well as rebooting into recovery, and apps forced closing on me. I tried a couple of different ROMs thinking that maybe it was something with the ROM and I wanted to try something different anyway. The reboots and reboot to recovery have become very frequent (every couple of hours, sometime less). So, now I am back on Peters ROM from April 9, which I never had a problem with in the past. Now I am still having the reboots, as well as reboot to recovery.

I have been using Goomanager with Twerp for my changes. I have cleared cache/dalvick cache and factory reset each time. What am I doing wrong?

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I have some more questions. I have been running Peters latest ROM for while. early last week, I started having random reboots as well as rebooting into recovery, and apps forced closing on me. I tried a couple of different ROMs thinking that maybe it was something with the ROM and I wanted to try something different anyway. The reboots and reboot to recovery have become very frequent (every couple of hours, sometime less). So, now I am back on Peters ROM from April 9, which I never had a problem with in the past. Now I am still having the reboots, as well as reboot to recovery.

I have been using Goomanager with Twerp for my changes. I have cleared cache/dalvick cache and factory reset each time. What am I doing wrong?

First off, with titanium back up, make sure you are only restoring user apps, NO system apps. And forget about data too (if you want to restore a few random app datas like for game saves and such feel free but keep it to a minimium). Next, are you doing any kernel tweaks, like under or over clocking in any extreme? Many custom roms will set the kernel to very conservative settings, but they dont always play nice with every phone. Download "nstools" from the market if you dont have another way to control these settings.

Also if you havent tryed it, give Bugless Beast (click for link) a try.

I have been running AOKP almost exclusively since I rooted my phone, running milestone 5. Flashed the matching gapps and the kept the most recent Matr1x kernel on there. I have only had 3 or 4 FC and reboots in the last 2 months. I love this kernel as it has the deep idle option, and boy does that save battery when it is enabled!!

I know that not all phones are the same and not all can handle the same tweaks, so keep that in mind. If I was at all unclear just let me know.

ludvball

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
First off, with titanium back up, make sure you are only restoring user apps, NO system apps. And forget about data too (if you want to restore a few random app datas like for game saves and such feel free but keep it to a minimium). Next, are you doing any kernel tweaks, like under or over clocking in any extreme? Many custom roms will set the kernel to very conservative settings, but they dont always play nice with every phone. Download "nstools" from the market if you dont have another way to control these settings.

I have been running AOKP almost exclusively since I rooted my phone, running milestone 5. Flashed the matching gapps and the kept the most recent Matr1x kernel on there. I have only had 3 or 4 FC and reboots in the last 2 months. I love this kernel as it has the deep idle option, and boy does that save battery when it is enabled!!

I know that not all phones are the same and not all can handle the same tweaks, so keep that in mind. If I was at all unclear just let me know.

I had been backing up and restoring all data. However, I haven't restored from Titanium back up in the last three attempts at installing the ROM, just in case that had something to do with it. I have been allowing Google to restore all my apps though. I think I will try without a Google restore.

I have been pretty conservative about what I tweak on the phone. I have not been tweaking the settings for overclocking/underclocking. I have not added a kernel, just the ROM and apps.

I wonder if I have the correct gapps installed. I just installed the most current version dated 4-29-12 i believe.

Thanks for the help I will try your recommendations and see if it helps.

ludvball

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site

I just checked the link for Bugless Beast. That is the ROM I have been running up until this problem. I have been back on the 4/9 version of Bugless Beast for two days now. No Kernel installed. I thing the version of gapps installed is dated 4/29.

last night my phone rebooted into recovery, also when I tried to reboot, it would hang at the initial Google screen and never fully boot. This morning the phone was running for about three hours and when I received a phone call, and I tried to answer the call when a number of Google processes crashed.

Beyond deleting cache/dalvick cache and factory reset, is there anything I can do to make sure I am starting with a clean slate?

ludvball

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I just cleared the SD card and reinstalled Bugless Beast. I stopped all apps from loading. Going to slowly add apps and see how things go.

ludvball

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Well, one hour after installing Bugless Beast, i got a random reboot into recovery. Once again, I cleared cache/dalvick cache, cleared SD and factory reset. Any thoughts?

I read something about SD cards being bad. Could that cause this problem?

ak1312

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I have had incredibly similar issues with the same series of Peter's ROMs (Bugless Beast ICS). I had no problem through his April release, but as soon as I updated to the June releases I have had frequent reboots into recovery and hanging at the Google image on reboot. Otherwise the ROM is great. I have tried switching to his stock ROMs which come with the standard kernel instead of his custom one, but I had the same problems within a couple of hours. Did you ever figure anything out ludvball?

Here is the error message from cwm:

Starting recovery on Thu Jun 28 13:32:28 2012
can't open /dev/tty0: No such file or directory
framebuffer: fd 3 (480 x 800)
ClockworkMod Recovery v5.0.2.0
recovery filesystem table
=========================
0 /tmp ramdisk (null) (null)
1 /sdcard vfat /dev/block/platform/s3c-sdhci.0/by-name/media (null)
2 /system ext4 /dev/block/platform/s3c-sdhci.0/by-name/system (null)
3 /cache yaffs2 cache (null)
4 /data ext4 /dev/block/platform/s3c-sdhci.0/by-name/userdata (null)
5 /misc mtd misc (null)
6 /boot mtd boot (null)
7 /recovery mtd recovery (null)
8 /bootloader mtd bootloader (null)
9 /radio mtd radio (null)
10 /wimax mtd wimax (null)

W:Unable to get recovery.fstab info for /sd-ext during fstab generation!
I:Completed outputting fstab.
I:processing arguments.
Fixing execute permissions for /cache
mtd: successfully wrote block at 0
I:Set boot command "boot-recovery"
I:Checking arguments.
I:device_recovery_start()
Command: "/sbin/recovery"

ro.secure=0
ro.allow.mock.location=1
ro.debuggable=1
persist.service.adb.enable=1
ro.build.id=GRJ90
ro.build.display.id=GRJ90
ro.build.version.incremental=138666
ro.build.version.sdk=10
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.release=2.3.5
ro.build.date=Mon Sep 5 11:25:08 PDT 2011
ro.build.date.utc=0
ro.build.type=eng
ro.build.user=koush
ro.build.host=Koushik-Lion.local
ro.build.tags=test-keys
ro.product.model=Nexus S 4G
ro.product.brand=google
ro.product.name=sojus
ro.product.device=crespo4g
ro.product.board=herring
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
ro.product.manufacturer=samsung
ro.product.locale.language=hdpi
ro.product.locale.region=
ro.wifi.channels=
ro.board.platform=s5pc110
ro.build.product=crespo4g
ro.build.description=sojus-user 2.3.5 GRJ90 138666 release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=google/sojus/crespo4g:2.3.5/GRJ90/138666:user/release-keys
rild.libpath=/vendor/lib/libsec-ril.so
rild.libargs=-d /dev/ttyS0
ro.sf.lcd_density=240
ril.ecclist=911,#911,*911
ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=310120
ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Sprint
ro.telephony.default_network=4
ro.wimax.interface=uwbr0
ro.opengles.version=131072
wifi.interface=eth0
wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=15
dalvik.vm.heapsize=32m
keyguard.no_require_sim=true
ro.ril.hsxpa=1
ro.ril.gprsclass=10
ro.config.notification_sound=OnTheHunt.ogg
ro.config.alarm_alert=Alarm_Classic.ogg
ro.rommanager.developerid=cyanogenmod
ro.url.legal=http://www.google.com/intl/%s/mobile/android/basic/phone-legal.html
ro.url.legal.android_privacy=http://www.google.com/intl/%s/mobile/android/basic/privacy.html
ro.com.google.clientidbase=android-google
ro.com.android.wifi-watchlist=GoogleGuest
ro.setupwizard.enterprise_mode=1
ro.com.android.dateformat=MM-dd-yyyy
ro.com.android.dataroaming=false
ro.config.ringtone=Playa.ogg
ro.modversion=CyanogenMod-7.1.0-RC1-NS4G-KANG
ro.kernel.android.checkjni=1
ro.setupwizard.mode=OPTIONAL
dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=m=y
net.bt.name=Android
net.change=net.bt.name
dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt
ro.factorytest=0
ro.serialno=353433F1F51200EC
ro.bootmode=unknown
ro.baseband=D720SPRKE5
ro.carrier=SPR
ro.bootloader=D720SPRKC5
ro.hardware=herring
ro.revision=34
init.svc.recovery=running
init.svc.adbd=running

I:Checking for extendedcommand...
I:Skipping execution of extendedcommand, file not found...
mtd: successfully wrote block at 0
I:Set boot command ""

Any thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress