[Official] July 25th Update - Links first post, and/or page 72

esoh

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Official Rumor] July 11th, now July 25th Update

For those of you that can't wait.

Taken from XDA (thanks and full credit to xyzulu and coolfrooddude for links and instructions)

Download file directly from Google (for the paranoid, like me)
http://android.clients.google.com/p...c0.signed-sojus-GRJ90-from-GRJ22.39fe4c59.zip

Install instructions (use the file you downloaded above, not the one in the instructions)
http://www.androidcentral.com/how-manually-update-your-nexus-s-android-233

At your own risk.

Reactions: Label facing right

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: [Official] July 25th Update - Links first post, and/or page 7

Can anyone confirm if the MANUAL update will delete all data off the phone?

I just flashed it on mine. All your data stays intact. I grabbed the update directly from google's servers and flashed it. Was pretty painless.

chrismc

May 9, 2011
Visit site

You can download the update direct from Google's servers at http://android.clients.google.com/p...c0.signed-sojus-GRJ90-from-GRJ22.39fe4c59.zip

Rename the file to update.zip, place on the root of /sdcard, boot into recovery (turn off, then Pwr + Vol Up, then select recovery) and apply update.zip.

You will lose a custom Recovery partition like CWM, though.

**Edit** Looks like I took a little to long to type that out, redundant now.

**Edit AGAIN** CRAP, you WILL LOSE ROOT! It will stay unlocked, though.

ortam

May 18, 2011
Visit site

You can download the update direct from Google's servers at http://android.clients.google.com/p...c0.signed-sojus-GRJ90-from-GRJ22.39fe4c59.zip

Rename the file to update.zip, place on the root of /sdcard, boot into recovery (turn off, then Pwr + Vol Up, then select recovery) and apply update.zip.

Try Shabby Penguin's One click root again. He said it would regrant you root privileges after the ota update.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

To flash do you need to be rooted or have custom rom?
if you're not rooted or anything....just like the day you bought it.....download and rename the file, then reboot into recovery.

chrismc

May 9, 2011
Visit site

Try Shabby Penguin's One click root again. He said it would regrant you root privileges after the ota update.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know there was a newer, easier way to root. I already re-rooted 2.3.5 GRJ90 using the old way, though.

I also found that the older CWM recovery ROM from the original rooting instructions can't correctly install the 2.3.5 GRJ90 update.zip. I had to update it to CWM 3.1.0.1.

chrismc

May 9, 2011
Visit site

Hah, they totally pulled an Apple- CDMA signal strength went from 2 bars to 4 bars after the update, same dBm. 4G bars did not change (still 1 at work, one of the only places I've seen 4G service). I'm testing data speeds now.

So far, my testing shows that 4G service is slower after applying the update. (1.33Mbps vs 1.99 Mbps down, 0.67 vs 0.99 Mbps up).

3G data has dramatically improved for me: Now 830/611 (down/up), was ~150/50.

We'll see how things look when I get to a "fringe area" (which Sprint thinks is a perfect 3G/4G service area) at my home tonight.

arrogant437

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know there was a newer, easier way to root. I already re-rooted 2.3.5 GRJ90 using the old way, though.

I also found that the older CWM recovery ROM from the original rooting instructions can't correctly install the 2.3.5 GRJ90 update.zip. I had to update it to CWM 3.1.0.1.
Just name the file update....leave out the zip....the file type automatically gets assigned

arrogant437

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site

Soooooooooooooo....at this point there is no reason to flash any rom's or kernels since they are based on 2.3.4 right?

DesertSilver#AC

May 18, 2010
Visit site

I posted the following on XDA:

For those that think data speeds did not increase, here are my results using the SpeedTest app. The phone was placed on the EXACT same spot on my work desk, which is in a very bad signal building.

Android 2.3.4, across 7 tests
Download: High 188, Low 55, Avg 92 kbps
Upload: High 79, Low 14, Avg 53 kbps
Ping: High 857, Low 422, Avg 548ms

Android 2.3.5, across 9 tests
Download: High 704, Low 192, Avg 415 kbps
Upload: High 182, Low 43, Avg 83 kbps
Ping: High 219, Low 159, Avg 178 ms

steraser

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I am getting the triangle exclamation point. Not rooted. Suggestions?

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Wait, if there is an update.zip straight from google why wasn't it posted earlier? Where did it come from? How would you go about finding it ON google on your own in the first place?

esoh

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

FWIW, I can't get tethering or mob hotspot to work, 3G or 4G. Some others at XDA are saying the same. Not saying that it's permanent, but it's what I have now. If you need tethering or MHS, DO NOT apply update for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryricherd