Google voice - Way to do voicemail ONLY - Not texts?

porthos7

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
could someone explain how to go from google voice to google voice lite? instructions would be helpful for those of us NOT in the know! Thanks!

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
It's a way to use Google Voice without getting a separate Google Voice number. You lose a couple of features and I don't really see the point to be honest.

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I've read through this, and I'm not quite sure I understand how to only do VM. I don't remember seeing anything during the setup to not receive texts. I don't see anything in my online GV settings to disable Sprint integration. I have a check box for "Receive text messages on this phone," which I have unchecked but am still receiving text messages through GV. I signed out of GV on my phone, and it said it would remove all my settings, so I did that and signed back in. I'm not sure if this solved any issue as I haven't had any texts yet. This seems like it is a lot harder than it should be, IMO. Also, so GV handles all my calls now? Instead of what? I was a little concerned that one of the posters was not receiving calls because, like him/her, I don't get very many calls, but the ones I do are typically important.

Sorry for my ignorance, I'm new to the whole GV on the phone. I'm used to just managing it online, having a dummy number and it ringing multiple lines at once.

If youve set up integration then In the app click menu->settings. Turn text messages on and inbox sync off. This will stop Google voice from alerting you of texts. They will still show up on the webpage and the app when u open it but they will not cause a notification. And you can use any app you choose to do messaging I.e. handcent, chomp etc.
When you get a text from your own number open the voice app and it will auto refresh. Then you can listen to the voicemail as usual.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

d14racer24

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Now I get notifications from the messaging app and google voice. I dont know how people use this; it is very frustrating to me. It's called google voice not google voice and text. Lol

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Then won't that defeat the purpose of having google voice or am I missing something?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
These answers always get way more complicated than they need to be.

In short, no.

Freakin Google needs to word the two options differently. I've said this I don't know how many times on here. (by the way, im not getting snippy with you, just the way that they make this harder than it needs to be ) You can either integrate your SPRINT number OR a Google generated GOOGLE VOICE number. If you integrate your Sprint number, Google Voice will handle your calls and texts and voicemail.

If you integrate your GOOGLE VOICE number, you can have two different phone numbers on your phone. IF YOU CHOOSE, you can make and receive calls with BOTH your Sprint number AND your GOOGLE VOICE number. You can also receive texts to BOTH numbers. Regardless of if you use the GOOGLE VOICE number or not, Google Voice will still handle your voicemails.

The SPRINT number integration is more trouble than it's worth (obviously) in my opinion and only really offers texting through the PC, but that can be done with other apps.

I have the Google Voice number and Sprint number setup on my phone. I have zero problems with this setup. I can hand out two numbers to people, one for work, one for personal. All voicemails go to the same inbox that i can manage on my phone or online. I can call out with two numbers from the same phone, again, work, personal. It's easy as pie. Or cake. Whichever you prefer.

Reactions: d14racer24

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I have the Google Voice number and Sprint number setup on my phone. I have zero problems with this setup. I can hand out two numbers to people, one for work, one for personal. All voicemails go to the same inbox that i can manage on my phone or online. I can call out with two numbers from the same phone, again, work, personal. It's easy as pie. Or cake. Whichever you prefer.

I like crepes.

Wait, you "Skipped" or you "Integrated" your Google Voice number as your number instead of the Sprint.

d14racer24

May 12, 2011
Visit site
These answers always get way more complicated than they need to be.

In short, no.

Freakin Google needs to word the two options differently. I've said this I don't know how many times on here. (by the way, im not getting snippy with you, just the way that they make this harder than it needs to be ) You can either integrate your SPRINT number OR a Google generated GOOGLE VOICE number. If you integrate your Sprint number, Google Voice will handle your calls and texts and voicemail.

If you integrate your GOOGLE VOICE number, you can have two different phone numbers on your phone. IF YOU CHOOSE, you can make and receive calls with BOTH your Sprint number AND your GOOGLE VOICE number. You can also receive texts to BOTH numbers. Regardless of if you use the GOOGLE VOICE number or not, Google Voice will still handle your voicemails.

The SPRINT number integration is more trouble than it's worth (obviously) in my opinion and only really offers texting through the PC, but that can be done with other apps.

I apologize for making you regurgitate this...again, but thank you for doing so. Your explanation made every thing very clear. I do agree with you that this is WAY harder than it needs to be. On the other hand, after all this, I think I have a better understanding of how my parents feel when I try to show them how to email. :D

THANKS AGAIN!

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I apologize for making you regurgitate this...again, but thank you for doing so. Your explanation made every thing very clear. I do agree with you that this is WAY harder than it needs to be. On the other hand, after all this, I think I have a better understanding of how my parents feel when I try to show them how to email. :D

THANKS AGAIN!
Like I said, none of that was directed towards you. I love helping when I can. That simple change in wording though would save a lot of people a lot of headaches.

Let me or any of us know if you still need help. Once it gets setup the "right" way, it really is one of the best services out there.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Like I said, none of that was directed towards you. I love helping when I can. That simple change in wording though would save a lot of people a lot of headaches.

Let me or any of us know if you still need help. Once it gets setup the "right" way, it really is one of the best services out there.

The most interesting part about Google Voice is how it's free.... Amazing.

I was excited for Sprint integration at first. I couldn't wait. I was even more excited when I got the beta testing. Loved every minute of it. Till the issues arose.

What really is strange to me: how these issues only happen with the Sprint integration. Of course one was human error of Sprint removing coding from accounts. But calls not being forwarded to my Sprint phone that was reaching Google and then it's voicemail. Very weird.

Anyways, after messing with it for a while I think the downfalls of the integration outweigh the good. Sure you can send text and make phone calls from your PC with your Sprint phone number; but, is it really worth it at this point with the bugs? I don't think so. And, I find it far more useful (Even though I hardly use it) to have a second phone number. I still use it as my primary Voicemail service for Sprint. though.

The biggest thing I thought about when having it: cool. I can use my computer as my phone. This would help in my house where I have no service (Pre-airave), or if my phone dies I can use the computer. But if I can use the computer... and my phone is dead... I can charge... can't I? lol. And if my phone is broke which has never happened to me; but, in that emergency where in a strange place that has computers but not phones: I could just call with my other GV number anyways.

So, by far more useful if you have a second number. Especially if you need it for something like work.

But yes, they need to reword things better.

hjstod

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm going by the title which would indicate that he has integration if his texts are coming through GV.

1) Sprint Visual Voicemail does not work on the Nexus
2) As far as I know the notification for REGULAR sprint voicemail does come up. It did when I had it.
3) He integrated his Sprint number with GV to get GV+S. However, he doesn't want the texts to be handled through GV. If he wanted to have voicemail through GV but no texts he has 2 options:

A) With current GV+S Configuration: you can enable text messages to your phone through the regular SMS app my CHECKING the box for messages. This will cause double notification from both apps. You THEN! have to turn off notifications to your GV app if you don't want double notifications. BUT, if you want your voicemail notifcations you'll have to have them forwarded to your email because it won't come through with notifications off. (You can still listen to them through there).

B)To uae GV JUST FOR VOICEMAIL: Go onto the GV website. Disable Sprint integration. Go to your app on your phone. Sign out. MAKE SURE you have the newest version of GV. Go to the market. If there is and install button install. (OR if it says update update). THEN, the next time you open up your GV app you will have the option to SKIP integration. Which, will then guide you through signing in and setting up voicemail (visual) for GV. It will give you a number to dial and click through the steps. Then you won't have integration. you want have SMS through the app (unless to your GV number) and your missed calls with forward to gv number for voicemail.
OMG thanks so much for the steps BlackHawk!!!!! I tried to do it the other night and couldn't figure it out!!! The skip integration was what I was missing!!!!!!!! :) Visual Voicemail is what I missed most when I switched to the Nexus from the Epic!!!! Amazinggggggg!!!!

Is there a way to change the greeting?

d14racer24

May 12, 2011
Visit site

Don't worry, I don't get all bent out of shape unless you specifically target me and call me a moron or something, haha.

I did get everything straightened out. It took some finagling even after I disabled Spring integration, for some reason. Either, way it's good to go now.

elomire678

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Now I get notifications from the messaging app and google voice. I dont know how people use this; it is very frustrating to me. It's called google voice not google voice and text. Lol

Or just turn off the notifications in the Google Voice app, or uninstall the Google Voice app and get your voicemail through e-mail. I don't know why everyone here is making things more complicated than they have to be.

Though I don't know about the method A integration, as I came in with my preferred number being my GV number and did the B method. The only niggle with that is that MMS shows up as from the Sprint number not the GV one (but that's Google's fault). The B method integration at least is the best thing a carrier has done in a long long time.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Or just turn off the notifications in the Google Voice app, or uninstall the Google Voice app and get your voicemail through e-mail. I don't know why everyone here is making things more complicated than they have to be.

Though I don't know about the method A integration, as I came in with my preferred number being my GV number and did the B method. The only niggle with that is that MMS shows up as from the Sprint number not the GV one (but that's Google's fault). The B method integration at least is the best thing a carrier has done in a long long time.

I'm sorry if this is off topic; but, months ago when I went to the Google Voice Feature Suggestion page to suggest MMS I noticed above that was Accepting Faxes. How cool would it be to receive faxes on your phone, haha. I don't know why people still use faxes.

But, wait: If you integrate your Google Voice number using your GV number: if you someone sends MMS to your GV number you get it via Sprint number? Why can't they just email it you?

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
But, wait: If you integrate your Google Voice number using your GV number: if you someone sends MMS to your GV number you get it via Sprint number? Why can't they just email it you?
I personally don't feel like having to explain to people why or when they need to do that.

You know who else suggested emailing pictures instead of MMSing them? Apple did. You don't want to be like Apple, do you? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress