Has anyone gotten the 2.3.7 update?

Seven2k

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Called Sprint to see if they can push the update....they did not WTF was going on. One of the operators even said she had on her phone and she tried to convince me that Google Wallet was just an app download and I did not need an Android Software update. REALLY?!? I think im going to apply to be in tech support cause no one know whats going on there...its sad.

Anyway....who has received the update through their phone?

I email Dan Hesse and this is the response i got

Thank you for taking the time to write me.

A representative from my office will be contacting you.

Once again, from all of us at Sprint, thank you.

Dan Hesse
CEO
Sprint

Last edited:

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
One of the operators even said she had on her phone and she tried to convince me that Google Wallet was just an app download and I did not need an Android Software update.

that's true of Google Shopper (it's already on mine)...but not Wallet.

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
OP really what do u expect from first level sprint support? and email from Dan Hess is just an auto reply. Now lets make this simple.

OTA updates roll out in phases, once your batch is released you will get it. there is no way to get it early.

Google wallet requires an OTA update because its not just an app but a security update which includes libs, certs and app itself. Thats why you have to get it in the form of OTA. if you go to google wallet website, its all there.

If you want to get it earlier than OTA then you have to do some leg work. Over on xda developers people were able to save OTA update and posted them for others to download. You can go there and apply it manually. they have already packaged rooted roms or u can just manually flash it via recovery if are not rooted and dont' want to be. I'm sorry but you wasted your time calling sprint and emailing them. I spent 15 minutes reading, clicking links and downloading files.

End results:

You - aggravated, pissed off at sprint phone support

Me - Enjoying google wallet and $10 free bucks from google

Seven2k

May 17, 2010
Visit site
OP really what do u expect from first level sprint support? and email from Dan Hess is just an auto reply. Now lets make this simple.

OTA updates roll out in phases, once your batch is released you will get it. there is no way to get it early.

Google wallet requires an OTA update because its not just an app but a security update which includes libs, certs and app itself. Thats why you have to get it in the form of OTA. if you go to google wallet website, its all there.

If you want to get it earlier than OTA then you have to do some leg work. Over on xda developers people were able to save OTA update and posted them for others to download. You can go there and apply it manually. they have already packaged rooted roms or u can just manually flash it via recovery if are not rooted and dont' want to be. I'm sorry but you wasted your time calling sprint and emailing them. I spent 15 minutes reading, clicking links and downloading files.

End results:

You - aggravated, pissed off at sprint phone support

Me - Enjoying google wallet and $10 free bucks from google

I see what you are saying but I rather get the update from Sprint....specially since its going to have financial data. I was going to do the OTA from XDA like i did 2.3.5. i dont know what might been done to the XDA update. Yes I am that paranoid, ive been a victim of ID theft so very cautious.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I see what you are saying but I rather get the update from Sprint....specially since its going to have financial data. I was going to do the OTA from XDA like i did 2.3.5. i dont know what might been done to the XDA update. Yes I am that paranoid, ive been a victim of ID theft so very cautious.

Then you'll have to wait for the gradual roll out of the update. That is just how Google has done software updates for the Nexus phones even going back to the original Nexus. I don't think you can really bash Sprint for that. Be patient and you should have it within a week if you want to wait for the "official" OTA process.

Seven2k

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Then you'll have to wait for the gradual roll out of the update. That is just how Google has done software updates for the Nexus phones even going back to the original Nexus. I don't think you can really bash Sprint for that. Be patient and you should have it within a week if you want to wait for the "official" OTA process.

Understood..my gripe was with them not knowing what Google Wallet was or how to apply it. My question to them was can you send the update to my phone. The attitude of the support was what annoying. She didnt even say that they couldnt do that.

Anyone get he update via OTA?

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Updates on xda forums are directly from google. I can always check for md5 hash. Sprint doesn't do individual updates. If u want ota you have to wait until it gets to you. Updates are rolling out and people are getting them.

Reactions: Seven2k

Seven2k

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Updates on xda forums are directly from google. I can always check for md5 hash. Sprint doesn't do individual updates. If u want ota you have to wait until it gets to you. Updates are rolling out and people are getting them.

Couldnt wait...screw it i did the update manually. Got my $10. So far in OC SoCal it McD's, Jack in the Box, CVS, Petco, Home Depot, Stater Bros (Market), and Dairy Queen.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I just wanted to make a comment. I've been hanging out mostly over at XDA the last few days and I haven't seen a have you got the update yet thread anywhere, lol.

About the financial thing: the official link from Google would be just the same with no worries about someone messing with the zip prior to you getting it for future reference.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm still on 2.3.5... Come on Sprint

Grab it right from Google and then you dont have to wait.:

http://android.clients.google.com/p...41.signed-sojus-GWK74-from-GRJ90.2e8d4014.zip

-Download the update and save it to your desktop

-Rename the file to “update.zip”.

-Transfer the update file to the root of your SD storage.

-Power off the phone and unplug the USB cable.

-Hold “Volume Up” and “Power” buttons to boot the phone.

-From the menu, choose Recovery Mode. Navigate using the volume keys and select an action using the power button.

-When the yellow exclamation mark appears, press the Volume Up + Power buttons simultaneously to make the phone enter Recovery. You might have to try it a few times. Hold one button down for a second and then the other.

-Now select “Apply sdcard update.zip” and the “update.zip”.

-Reboot

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I already went from a custom ROM back to the new stock ROM, activated Wallet, got the free ten dollars, bought dinner with it and went back to the custom ROM.

To each their own.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I already went from a custom ROM back to the new stock ROM, activated Wallet, got the free ten dollars, bought dinner with it and went back to the custom ROM.

To each their own.

If I felt like going on the full desktop site I would like this. But seeing that mobile sites always limit features. Ill do it the old fashion way.

*thumbs up*

gramamoose

May 14, 2011
Visit site
So far things I've noticed. . .
Bluetooth, it gave me some new permission notification and pop up when I went to use my head set. However it didn't work so I had to restart and fixed.
Google music, device doesn't seem synced. Haven't tried to re sync it but i'm sure it will. however the app looks totally different. I like the new look!

adamsalazar

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Called Sprint to see if they can push the update....they did not WTF was going on. One of the operators even said she had on her phone and she tried to convince me that Google Wallet was just an app download and I did not need an Android Software update. REALLY?!? I think im going to apply to be in tech support cause no one know whats going on there...its sad.

Anyway....who has received the update through their phone?

I email Dan Hesse and this is the response i got

Thank you for taking the time to write me.

A representative from my office will be contacting you.

Once again, from all of us at Sprint, thank you.

Dan Hesse
CEO
Sprint
Omg I got the same thing.. sprint tech support don't know sh*t....

its_miller_time

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I can confirm that, well, wireless tether still works with 2.3.7. I recieved the update, re-rooted my phone, and used the wireless tether app this morning and works like a charm! :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch