Nexus S Has Terrible 4G Radio, Terrible Wifi Radio, and Wifi Tethering Crashes Data

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully you submitted to Androidcentral.com as well? The more attention the better. Remember that whole SMS bug a couple months back? It had existed for a long time until blogs start writing about it then el goog fixes it within a couple days. Hope this has the same result because the signal issues need to get fixed ASAP or Sprint is going to see a mass exodus

Yes I sure did ;)

Reactions: mayflower

jp22382

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
*insert massive grain of salt* I just got away from my Pre and really don't want to screw around with getting another phone I don't really want.

9:51:00 PM : Connected to sprint.ehosts.net
9:51:00 PM : Session ID: -------

9:51:00 PM : Me: Initial Question/Comment: want to know if anything is being done about the Nexus S 4G's signal problems, outlined here: Sprint Community: Signal Issues with Nexus S

9:51:10 PM : Billy A. has joined this session!
9:51:10 PM : Connected with Billy A.. Your Reference Number for this chat session is -------.
9:51:10 PM : Thank you for contacting Sprint. My name is Billy A..
9:51:40 PM : Billy A.: Yes we are working on it diligently and you will see the best results in coming days.
9:52:10 PM : Billy A.: I would like to mention that this was not such a serious mater though.
9:52:25 PM : Billy A.: But you know the likings and perceptions of the people.
9:52:50 PM : Billy A.: There is the little problem with it that is being worked upon.

9:53:16 PM : Me: ok, just havent been able to find anything official and my 30 day return period is quickly running out

9:53:16 PM : Billy A.: Please keep watching the same place, you will get the nice reviews.
9:53:25 PM : Billy A.: I am sure for that.
9:53:45 PM : Billy A.: As I said it is nothing serious.
9:53:55 PM : Billy A.: So Sprint won't make it official.
9:54:10 PM : Billy A.: It is something that can be tackled easily.

9:54:32 PM : Me: well it is serious to customers like me that literally cannot use their new phone in their own apartment and the only option is buying an airave :)

9:55:05 PM : Billy A.: I agree with you and will add your name to the list of the people complaining about this.

9:55:17 PM : Me: that would be much appreciated

9:55:20 PM : Billy A.: I will then forward that to the higher departments.
9:55:30 PM : Billy A.: It will be my pleasure,.
9:55:45 PM : Billy A.: Is there anything else I may assist you with?

9:56:54 PM : Me: no thank you. should i expect any kind of reply from support when the issue is resolved?

9:57:15 PM : Billy A.: Most certainly, you will be notified.

oxeneers

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
*insert massive grain of salt* I just got away from my Pre and really don't want to screw around with getting another phone I don't really want.

9:51:00 PM : Connected to sprint.ehosts.net

Holy.. ****. Is Billy ... ******ed? Haha, no, but seriously - I doubt Sprint will fix it and not make any sort of announcement about it. That doesn't make any sense. We'll see. I'm patiently waiting.

fixxxer1022

Banned
Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
remember that aosp roms always have lower signal strength than sense roms did, even on my evo. but this for sure needs to be fixed. i cannot see sprint doing a mass recall either. hopefully this is software related and not hardware. the worst part of this is the horrid battery life you get when your phone is constantly pulling for a signal.

Reactions: mayflower

fixxxer1022

Banned
Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
I've also submitted to Gizmodo and Engadget as well as tweeting to Sprint and Sprint Cares. Hopefully they get the message and stop playing around.

read my post above, this is a sprint issue not google or samsung unless its the new 2.3.4 radio.

xda needs to acknowledge this and put it front page as well. the 4g doesn't get alot of love on that site.

Last edited:

darealm

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
i am wondering if this is a sprint issue because when im at home with my airrave i get a perfect 4 bars.

I have aan airave and my signal wavers between 2 and 3 most of the time....sometimes it will go to 4 and I get giddy (oh the nerd that I am)

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Sigh, as of today I can now use my upgrade and really wanting to pick up one of these but now I'm a little concerned if I should just wait and see what happens with all this... decisions, decisions....

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
If they don't issue a recall/push a software update they will be getting a lot of returns or exchanges and I don't think Sprint wants to eat the cost of all those phones coming back. Finally get to put 4g through its paces today, 3g is ok but wifi is still pretty bad. Updating the Sprint PRL (settings>about phone>sprint system updates>update PRL) helped as a temporary fix but the problem soon resurfaced as bad as it was before. Still worth putting up with this than dealing with Verizon!

fixxxer1022

Banned
Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
I spoke to sprint today and they are not aware of the issues. I have dropped 30% today just trying to surf the web with no bars. This is ridicolous. I called best buy and they will let me exchange for another phone. I wish the 3d was out because ill probably have to get a new evo. Why isnt this on the front page of android central yet? I can see a massive recall coming. Sprints response was never get a brand new phone on launch date as they will have bugs. Hate to say it but she is rigsrht. This needs to be addressed ASAP!

Richard1864

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Just an FYI - with all the storms going through the country, antennae have beenknocked out of alignment, thus causing signal issues, per a conversation I had with the FCC a couple minutes ago. They suggested that when calling Sprint/Verizon/Whoever with your signal problem that you ask them to check the antennae in your area for alignment problems. I did that this morning myself, and they are sending teams out in Baltimore now to realign lots of the towers today and yesterday.

Just an idea.

I have also heard that there is also a problem with the radio file in the NS4G 2.3.4 update, which Google is working on now. This problem affects ALL of the Nexus phones (Nexus One, Nexus S, and NS4G).

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
YAY, now we can get some perspective on the issue! :D

I'm patiently waiting with my 23 month old Pre to get an NS4G. :'(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member