Sprint Note 3: security update after KitKat

dafoot2

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Both me and my wife have the note 3. Ever since updating to kitkat we have been getting a security update popup from Samsung more than once.It shows up in the notification bar and looks like a shield. If you hit ok to update we either get a update had already been applied or error updating and to contact Samsung. This is happening over and over on different days. Anyone else having this problem?

Last edited by a moderator:

rivencap

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: security update after kitkat

No, I'm sorry. Not here on my Note 3. But if something changes, I'll let you know. Sorry you are having troubles.

Palm Treo line > BlackBerry line > Samsung Galaxy S line > NOW the awesome & powerful Samsung Galaxy Note 3! 😆📱😆

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

Mine is working fine and smooth as ever after the update.

Sent from my SM-N900P using AC Forums mobile app

handwerk79

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

had the same thing few days ago, not sure if it updated when i got home, but it might have been an update for lookout

c1971ace

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

Im wondering if your hitting the Knox...I know I have done it and it tells me there is an update but I refuse to do it.

Posted via Android Central App

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site

I had the notification in my task bar a couple days ago but I wasn't in a position to take it. When I got home it was gone and I haven't seen any more notifications since. Could it have installed itself in the background?

VisualFin

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm experiencing the exact same issue. The update alert will appear once every few days. When I attempt to update, it fails and provides a link to a Samsung page that does not exist.

Chris Grapes

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
If you look in your application manager you will find that same icon named Security update, and when it came up on my phone in my notification panel I long pressed it to check its permissions before updating it and I was severely disturbed by what this app could do, and the fact that I did not install it nor update it, so it was remotely installed onto my/ our phones, just check your app manager under "All" and im sure youll see it, click on it, and scroll down, you'll be shocked, if your unsure what the permissions are saying, click on them and it wil give you a description of what the permissions capable of, i took screen shots and uploaded them to facebook, check it out......https://www.facebook.com/CGrapesMDARNG/posts/10200809646923307?notif_t=like

dafoot2

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Getting them every two or three days, same with the wife. Took a screen shot and wanted to send to Samsung but unsure where to send it.

Chris Grapes

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Samsung isnt gonna be able to tell you anything, i really think this is over their head, and your carrier is just gonna tell you it's a necessary app within the systems requirments, but nothing should have access the way that app does
Getting them every two or three days, same with the wife. Took a screen shot and wanted to send to Samsung but unsure where to send it.

tee52

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
We get the same thing. It would not update because I had wireless turned off. I turned on wireless and let it update, no more notifications. I also hate all the permissions with it but seems all apps require way too much info on us.

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
The security notification was definitely a problem on Jelly Bean, but the KitKat update was supposed to have fixed it. I'm not completely sure it did, because I dismissed that message for 30 days shortly before the KitKat update rolled out. So I'm not sure if it not appearing is because KitKat stopped it or because I did. Anyway, the only thing I remember being suggested that might help is to go to Settngs, General, Security, Security Policy Updates and do an update. Turning on automatic updates is probably a good idea, too. I hope this is of some help.

Steven Hook

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I've been having the same problem updating it fails on this advice of turning Wi fi on it disappeared without me even touching it!? I'll report back if it reappears!

Steven Hook

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Nope just came back again tried connecting to Wi fi then quickly pushing before it disappeared and just said the latest updates have been applied I'm using an s4 gt-i9505 btw

Databyter

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I've been getting spammed with security update failed for several weeks. When I click on the more info link it goes to a bad page.

I get the same shield icon on my notification tray on top, and if I clear it it just tries again, especially if I'm on wifi.

Yes I have the Note 3, a newer one from Amazon Wireless, which incidently has no GPS issues as reported by some. Navigates like a champ in San DIego.

Databyter

Databyter

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
I just tried this. I also set my preferred networks to wifi AND network instead of just wifi as it was. I manually asked it to check for updates, and it notified me of a successful update (woot!).
Now it's just a matter of waiting a few hours/days to see if the spam is really gone. If it's not I might just set the sec. policy update to NOT automatically update and just manually do it once a while or so.

Melisbadke

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Chris- How did you get rid of this? I went in and can only find everything under Samsung Security updates which let me click on force stop but that is all. When I did go in the way you suggested then I did get to see all the "virus type" sketchy stuff it does, my biggest problems was because it freezes my phone on the lock screen all damn day long! Even when I need to answer a call. JUST NEED TO TAKE IT OFF! But I realyl dont want to do a factory reset if I dont have to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87