Clock not working after 5.0 Lollipop update; Any Ideas?

wmg390

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
I updated to android 5.0 (lollipop) yesterday. The clock is not working, when I press the icon for the clock I get an error message saying unfortunately, clock has stopped. Any ideas? My phone is my main alarm clock and any help would be appreciated.

lyingfromyou

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Are you using a shortcut from the homescreen or the icon from the main app tray? If it's the shortcut, try deleting it and dropping a new one from the app tray! Hope it helps!

alpha1two

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
No, it didn't work when I tried it even from the app in the app list. I have the same problem. I'm hoping to find a fix without having to master reset, I literally just got this phone a couple days ago.

Is there anyway to get notifications to stop showing up as pop-ups, like WhatsApp messages? I was able to disable lock screen notifications, but still can't seem to get WhatsApp messages to stop popping up every message, even when I'm in the app. And, the pop up setting is off in the app.

I'm still so new to this phone, so I'm still working with it, but is there a way to turn off the boot sound? Ever since the update it makes an awful scratching sound when it boots up. Thank goodness this is the only time it sounds like that!

Ok Samsung & Sprint, get that patch out!

alpha1two

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
No, it didn't work when I tried it even from the app in the app list. I have the same problem. I'm hoping to find a fix without having to master reset, I literally just got this phone a couple days ago.

Is there anyway to get notifications to stop showing up as pop-ups, like WhatsApp messages? I was able to disable lock screen notifications, but still can't seem to get WhatsApp messages to stop popping up every message, even when I'm in the app. And, the pop up setting is off in the app.

I'm still so new to this phone, so I'm still working with it, but is there a way to turn off the boot sound? Ever since the update it makes an awful scratching sound when it boots up. Thank goodness this is the only time it sounds like that!

Ok Samsung & Sprint, get that patch out!

alpha1two

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I ended up doing a master reset :( twice....the first one I set it back a day, but apparently it had backed up a restore point after the update, so that didn't work. When I chose a clean install the 2nd time it worked and now I have no issues, except the boot sound is scratchy when the phone turns on. No other sounds are scratchy though. Still trying to figure out how to make the pop up stop showing and phone calls don't go away like they used to...ugh, updates man.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1) If an update messes up a phone, the update carries its own warranty - bring the phone to the carrier and ask them to please fix what their update broke.

2) If it's a new phone (with most carriers that means 2 weeks), just ask for a new one (after backing everything up - see Backing up an Android Phone). It's cheaper for them to hand you a new phone than to spend time trying to fix the one you have. (It costs them nothing - it goes back to the manufacturer and the carrier gets a replacement.)

wolff093

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
I did the exact same things and I still can't get it to work. My alarm is set to go off every day of the week at 6 AM and I can't make it go away! Just what I want is for it to go off at 6 on the weekend when I don't have to work. :mad:

wolff093

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as you. My alarm is permanently set for 6 AM every day of the week now. I've tried everything I've read online to fix it. I guess my only option is to go into a Verizon store now and see what they can do.

Dee Dozier

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as you. My alarm is permanently set for 6 AM every day of the week now. I've tried everything I've read online to fix it. I guess my only option is to go into a Verizon store now and see what they can do.

If you go to your widgets, there's an alarm one where you can at least turn that off. It's a real pain but I ended up downloading a different clock app just as a backup until they patch this :-\

Da13Harris

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
If you go to your widgets, there's an alarm one where you can at least turn that off. It's a real pain but I ended up downloading a different clock app just as a backup until they patch this :-\

My wife and I were both having this issue and this widget workaround seems to do the trick. No access to the clock features (like the timer) is super annoying tho. I hope they patch this soon.

DarkLeftArm

May 27, 2015
Visit site
I updated to android 5.0 (lollipop) yesterday. The clock is not working, when I press the icon for the clock I get an error message saying unfortunately, clock has stopped. Any ideas? My phone is my main alarm clock and any help would be appreciated.

New guy here.
Been messing with this clock for awhile now and finally fixed it.
Easy schmeasy.
" Go to Settings--Date and Time--Select Date Format, and then choose a date format. Once I picked 'regional' the clock worked without the error "unfortunately, clock has stopped"

No fuss, no muss.
peace

Nevada user

May 27, 2015
Visit site
New guy here.
Been messing with this clock for awhile now and finally fixed it.
Easy schmeasy.
" Go to Settings--Date and Time--Select Date Format, and then choose a date format. Once I picked 'regional' the clock worked without the error "unfortunately, clock has stopped"

No fuss, no muss.
peace

Adjusting the settings for date and time format did nothing to fix this problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699