Better late than never: Sprint's "One Up" early upgrade program.

weknsmith

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
It sounds better than AT&T and Verizon since it includes a discount on the monthly service fee. I'm interested to see what discount they offer on family plans.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping it looks more like T-Mo and their JUMP plans as well. Hopefully they don't screw the pooch when they give out the details this week.

Posted via Android Central App

weknsmith

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Comments on some of the techie sites imply that people have to turn in the phone they currently own when they initially sign up for the program. That doesn't make any sense. I would guess people read the requirement for turning in the existing phone when you upgrade within the program and assumed it applies even when you first sign up.

Also, I wonder if you own the phone after making 24 payments? I believe all the other carrier programs are set up so that you own it after paying the full purchase price.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It sounds better than AT&T and Verizon since it includes a discount on the monthly service fee. I'm interested to see what discount they offer on family plans.

Yep. That's why AT&T / Verizon's plans suck for this.. They don't drop the monthly price at all.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

lennyj17

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't see myself ever using this when I come back to Sprint. I have Reward Credit Cards offer better incentives/financing for my Electronic purchases.

But for those that don't have other/better credit alternatives to spread out payments this is pretty Awesome deal.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't see myself ever using this when I come back to Sprint. I have Reward Credit Cards offer better incentives/financing for my Electronic purchases.

But for those that don't have other/better credit alternatives to spread out payments this is pretty Awesome deal.

I know with T-Mobile they will run credit before approving you for it.. So ones that don't have credit or have bad credit will most likely face higher monthly fees.

weknsmith

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I know with T-Mobile they will run credit before approving you for it.. So ones that don't have credit or have bad credit will most likely face higher monthly fees.

Yeah, it would make sense that folks with bad/no credit will have to put more money down or pay higher fees.

Mitri360

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
So since they're giving a $15 discount while your paying and the phone may cost $27 it'll in turn still raise your bill by $12+ taxes and whatever surcharges they decide to place on?

My question on this is if you say pay off the phone early will you still keep the discount because you took advantage before? What if you buy a phone outright, will you then get this discount? What'll this do for the contracts because of the phones?

weknsmith

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Sprint has the FAQ up on their site now. The $15 discount only applies while you're making payments on a device that was acquired via the One Up program.

I read through the whole FAQ page, and either I missed it, or they don't specify what effect the One Up plan & discount has on contracts.

They are obviously not ready to completely follow in T-Mobile's steps to separate the device cost from the service cost. It is at least better than the ripoff that AT&T and Verizon are offering.

danibal

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I just noticed the One Up plan is not available in Florida or DC. Wonder why that is? Was thinking of getting my wife off her iphone and back into an android, but if we don't get One Up, I'll have to wait a few more months.

Gary Friderichsohn

May 20, 2012
Visit site
apparently Wirefly has a $36 activation fee credit today. I'll bet this returns for the holidays. I hope it does as I am waiting for Note 3 or LG G2. It would be nice to get the $36 Activation Fee credit, nothing down for the phone, or perhaps the phone at a Black Friday discount. The OneUp Plan article says that "In celebration of this significant launch, Sprint is rewarding current customers with the opportunity to join Sprint One Up through the holidays." So $15 less than I pay now for Unlimited. I am waiting to get my $10 per month discount for being a AAA member. I wonder if this can be added on? I bought my last phone through Newegg.
I discovered that the Activation Fee credit applies to only new lines and not to people who are signing on for another 2 year contract.
I also found out that OneUp is apparently available only through corporate stores in my area and not affiliates.

Last edited:

jscholz22

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I have read that if you receive a corp. discount it will only applied to the data portion of the bill ($30). This is much like Verizon. My question is this, where and how is the $15 discount applied? Is it off the data or the voice/text plan? I am just trying to figure out a true cost minus the discounts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87