Porting Number from Sprint to another carrier

jainm1234

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I apologize ahead of time if I am in the wrong forums.. I really don't know where to go to ask this.

I currently have a GSIII from Sprint and am up for a renewal on June 1st. Since I am on my parents plan, I would like to break away and get an unlocked/non-contract phone. The problem is that my contract isn't up for another 8 months but I would like to go ahead and get a new phone now since I am having issues with my current one. The ETF and the cost to keep the line open for another 8 months is $160. My parents are alright with keeping the line open for another 8 months. Now my question is... Can I port my current number to my new phone and assign a new phone number to the current line?

I would be going to StraightTak with the unlocked GSV.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I apologize ahead of time if I am in the wrong forums.. I really don't know where to go to ask this.

I currently have a GSIII from Sprint and am up for a renewal on June 1st. Since I am on my parents plan, I would like to break away and get an unlocked/non-contract phone. The problem is that my contract isn't up for another 8 months but I would like to go ahead and get a new phone now since I am having issues with my current one. The ETF and the cost to keep the line open for another 8 months is $160. My parents are alright with keeping the line open for another 8 months. Now my question is... Can I port my current number to my new phone and assign a new phone number to the current line?

I would be going to StraightTak with the unlocked GSV.

To port the number would mean to take it with you. When you port it, it will immediately cancel the line, incurring the ETF. As for assigning the current line with a new number and still keeping the old one, that I am not sure. You can ask Sprint and see what they can do about that part.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
To port the number would mean to take it with you. When you port it, it will immediately cancel the line, incurring the ETF. As for assigning the current line with a new number and still keeping the old one, that I am not sure. You can ask Sprint and see what they can do about that part.

This. Not sure if Sprint would allow you to take the number and just assign a new number. They'd have to assist with this because as soon as you port the number it will cancel the line... But if you worked with them on this they may be able to stop it from canceling and have a new number assigned once the old one is ported out.

Sent from my Verizon HTC One M8 using AC Forums.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo