2.2 android for captivate?

XANAX

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I had OCLF enabled before I tried to flash the first time and I had a lot of trouble flashing a kernel and ROM...I eventually had to flash to stock. I'm not sure if OCLF was the cause, but it wouldn't hurt to remove it.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Wouldn't an odin master clean fix that
I had OCLF enabled before I tried to flash the first time and I had a lot of trouble flashing a kernel and ROM...I eventually had to flash to stock. I'm not sure if OCLF was the cause, but it wouldn't hurt to remove it.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

the3dgm

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Now that actually makes sense! It would also explain why when I still had my BB 9000 that U.S. Blackberry was the last country to get the 4 to 5 update!

XANAX

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Whatever. As long as DG keeps doing what he does, I'll think I'll be happy. One thing is for sure...Samsung will most likely not see any business from me again.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Man, you guys believe the weirdest stuff. 2.2 has been out for the Galaxy S phones for MONTHS. The carriers are the ones that are either holding it up, or the minuscule changes made to the phones are causing the CARRIERS trouble in tweaking the EXISTING 2.2 for Galaxy S to work with the US carrier tweaked phones.

Of all the carriers in the WORLD that carry Galaxy S phones, it is ONLY the four in the US that can't seem to get it done.

How is that Samsung's fault?

Paralegal99

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Man, you guys believe the weirdest stuff. 2.2 has been out for the Galaxy S phones for MONTHS. The carriers are the ones that are either holding it up, or the minuscule changes made to the phones are causing the CARRIERS trouble in tweaking the EXISTING 2.2 for Galaxy S to work with the US carrier tweaked phones.

Of all the carriers in the WORLD that carry Galaxy S phones, it is ONLY the four in the US that can't seem to get it done.

How is that Samsung's fault?
OK...not sure where you got your information from...but answer this...if this is true...then why did Samsung put out tweets about Froyo coming out at the end of December...and why then did Samsung answer CNET's inquiry about Froyo with the response that they wanted to ensure that upgrading to Froyo would be a smooth experience (this is not meant to be a direct quote)
Put down the Koolaid and take two steps back...
Paralegal99

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok, koolaid down... as I read this on my 2.2 Captivate with the leaked froyo from October 1. Samsung may have to say SOMETHING with everyone yelling at them, but their actions speak clear enough for me. Froyo is out. It has been out, and it works, everywhere except in the US. I can understand why Samsung doesn't throw the carriers under the bus and call them out on it, but the FACTS of the 2.2 upgrade, and where it is and isn't, sure indicate where the problem is to me.

Keep on jumping on the Samsung haters bandwagon though if it makes you feel better. I on the other hand will continue to enjoy the best non-apple screen out there... on 2.2.

Paralegal99

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Ok, koolaid down... as I read this on my 2.2 Captivate with the leaked froyo from October 1. Samsung may have to say SOMETHING with everyone yelling at them, but their actions speak clear enough for me. Froyo is out. It has been out, and it works, everywhere except in the US. I can understand why Samsung doesn't throw the carriers under the bus and call them out on it, but the FACTS of the 2.2 upgrade, and where it is and isn't, sure indicate where the problem is to me.

Keep on jumping on the Samsung haters bandwagon though if it makes you feel better. I on the other hand will continue to enjoy the best non-apple screen out there... on 2.2.

I don't consider myself a Samsung hater...having had the Blackjack and Blackjack 2 WinMo phones before going with an Iphone. I can say that I really like my Captivate...and I agree with you...the screen is wonderful. And for the record...I have had, for the longest time, my own suspicions about the carriers role in this delay. I don't expect Samsung to throw any of the carriers under the bus...but....they are the ones who have been putting out the information about Froyo soon...and therefore I have to then assume then that they are the ones responsible for this delay. I certainly don't think the carriers are completely innocent in this whole debacle, and the point of only the US carriers not having Froyo certainly calls into question their part in all this. But, admittedly that is only speculation whereas we have the info released from Samsung that, at least to me, indicates the bulk of the responsibility for the lack of Froyo. Certainly, they are completely culpable for the lack of information and the current bad press about the lack of Froyo upgrade. I can say...as a simple tech layman...that Samsung seems have all its focus on putting out the new stuff and forgetting about the past stuff that the consumer have bought with the reasonable expectations of the Froyo upgrade. I am, perhaps naive, but I would think that a successful business model would be to support your legacy products (with, of course, limits) and consumers are going to be more likely to come back in the future and purchase again from the same company. I feel, as others have also stated, that if Samsung does not change this way of doing business...I will certainly be looking at other companies products before I come back and buy from Samsung again. Doesn't make me a hater but rather a voter with my wallet. I think also getting this sort of information out there benefits people who are thinking of buying a Samsung product, and does so with not just the knowledge of the product, but also knowledge of how the company supports its products.

Paralegal99

Reactions: asuprice

asuprice

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't consider myself a Samsung hater...having had the Blackjack and Blackjack 2 WinMo phones before going with an Iphone. I can say that I really like my Captivate...and I agree with you...the screen is wonderful. And for the record...I have had, for the longest time, my own suspicions about the carriers role in this delay. I don't expect Samsung to throw any of the carriers under the bus...but....they are the ones who have been putting out the information about Froyo soon...and therefore I have to then assume then that they are the ones responsible for this delay. I certainly don't think the carriers are completely innocent in this whole debacle, and the point of only the US carriers not having Froyo certainly calls into question their part in all this. But, admittedly that is only speculation whereas we have the info released from Samsung that, at least to me, indicates the bulk of the responsibility for the lack of Froyo. Certainly, they are completely culpable for the lack of information and the current bad press about the lack of Froyo upgrade. I can say...as a simple tech layman...that Samsung seems have all its focus on putting out the new stuff and forgetting about the past stuff that the consumer have bought with the reasonable expectations of the Froyo upgrade. I am, perhaps naive, but I would think that a successful business model would be to support your legacy products (with, of course, limits) and consumers are going to be more likely to come back in the future and purchase again from the same company. I feel, as others have also stated, that if Samsung does not change this way of doing business...I will certainly be looking at other companies products before I come back and buy from Samsung again. Doesn't make me a hater but rather a voter with my wallet. I think also getting this sort of information out there benefits people who are thinking of buying a Samsung product, and does so with not just the knowledge of the product, but also knowledge of how the company supports its products.

Paralegal99

Well put. You get my thanks

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok... how about a brief of my history with ATT. Before I got my captivate I had 2 Blackberry Smart Phones. Both of which were great phones in there own time. I had a BB8800 and the 9000(which many will say is still the best BB). It was about 1 year into owning my BB 9000 that a major OS update was released. The BB9000 released with 4.6 and 5.0 was released in the 4th quarter of that year. A couple months later a version of 5.0 was avaliable to all carriers and the 9000 was included. To this day ATT never released a 5.0 version of the software yet every other carrier out there has it. I dont' fault Samsung in the slightest for us not having Froyo. ATT has always dragged it's feet on updates. Think about it. Probably in the next month or so there will be a new phone with ATT that has 2.3. ATT will want to push new customers to that phone so we will get shafted. Thank god for DG and everyone else making custom roms.

Just a thought. I don't buy phones expecting some sort of update. If it does it is gravy, but why in the world buy something when you aren't happy with it when you get it .

the3dgm

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Having come from the BB 9000 also, I can tell you you're wrong in one way, yes AT&T never released OS 5 for the Blackberry, neither did any other carrier. Blackberry released it in the U.S. around October 2010.

The only way to get it is by Blackberry Desktop. BD is like a world class version if Kies on steroids. OS 5 came out for Blackberry shortly after version 6 of the Desktop came out. About, a year after Europe got OS 5.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
the3dgm,

You really need to check your facts before trying to call someone out as not knowing what they are talking about.

First you either have the OS version and device confused or you really have no clue about the Blackberry 9000. What I think was realeased in October of 2010 was the new OS6 that was on the torch, and it was released in a light version for the 9700's and 9600's that only have 256mb of app memory. The Blackberry Bold 9000, which was the first to cary the bold name by the way, was released in late november early december of 2008. Came with 4.6 and only had 128mb of App Memory. BBOS5 was released in late 09 and was released by several carries in the first half of 2010 for BB9000. ATT was the only US carrier to carry the Bold 9000 and in the entire time it was avaliable only realeased 1 official update. BBOS5 was never released by ATT even though they continued to sell the phone new almost up until I got my captivate. I was just stating that it was a great example of the company hold off on a software upgrade with what i suspect as a desire to push people to newer devices.

Fortunately with one very simple trick any offical BBOS Release can be loaded on any BB phone world wide as long as the release is for the same model. So I can take a Rogers os BB release for it's BB9000 and load it on my ATT branded Bold 9000 and it works fine. DM can be used for that but surely isn't required.

I do agree though Kies sucks

the3dgm

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
OK, mavrrick, first I wasn't calling you out, I was just stating the facts as I know them.

I admit to being wrong on one point the official version of did not come out in Oct 2010, it was Aug, 25, 2010 from Blackberry and not AT&T. (Oct was probably when the sensor on my roller ball went out and cost me 20 bucks to have fixed)

Day one

I don't know who Rogers is nor can I speak for any carrier other than AT&T and as you'll notice from the above link is the Blackberry support forums for the Bold 9000 and prior to my post that day a lot of post where asking why OS 5 was not available in the U.S. If it came out in Europe in Dec. 08 it was more than a year behind. (and after the post was why the phone no longer worked. I was lucky and had no problems with OS 5, it simply made my BB 9000 a bit faster and opened some more memory.)

And yes, Kies does suck! LOL

netposer

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
The difference between RIM and Android manufacturers is the fact the RIM creates every OS for Blackberrys. So if you find an OS offered from another carrier for your device specifically you can load that OS on your device. Granted the model numbers have to match so a Verizon Curve 8330 is not the same as an ATT 8310. But as long as the model numbers match you don't have to wait for a carrier.

The problem with Android is you have too many manufacturers and devices to do this.

At least with BB's you did not care if ATT ever released an update as long as you could find another carrier that offered the OS. You installed the Windows installer, deleted vendor.xml, then rand loader.exe and now you have a brand new OS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty