Force Kies to update to ICS

Sasquatch76

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Go to tools and select to initialize the upgrade. Enter your serial number and model number. Then just follow the instructions. Worked perfectly for me.

caffewmilk

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I came here looking for a solution to not being able to update my SG2 Skyrocket to ICS. So far most answers point to forcing Kies to do the update.

In a weird way, that's not working in my case. Here is a little background of what happened to me:

1. phone was running CyanogenMod9 ICS stable
2. Didn't like it after a while so looked up and found instructions on how to revert the phone to stock
3. While using the phone back in stock-mode(2.3.4 or .5), I received an OTA update and me thinking it was ICS, I let it install.
4. Come to find out it was not ICS but GB 2.3.6. Since I still wanted to run ICS but the official version, I installed the latest Kies to my computer
5. Connected the phone to the computer, Kies recognized it and it said the phone was at the most up to date version or something like that.
6. Kept trying the force software update, but it just won't happen.
7. Came to the forums and found others had issues close to mine, but not entirely the same

The last thing I tried was reflash the stock ROM so the phone would revert to the version before the OTA update. Train of thought was, maybe it won't update because it's running 2.3.6. However, that's not the case and Kies still refuses to update the phone to ICS. Yet, I've read of others who have successfully updated their phones to ICS from 2.3.6 using Kies. :confused:

I've been searching the 'net for someone who may have the official ICS update in a flashable file. Then I can use ODIN to flash ICS to the phone, but all I can find are the modded ICS ROMs which I don't want. :p

caffewmilk

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Yes, downloaded the stock ICS ROM and used ODIN to flash it. Funny thing is battery is doing better with the stock ICS ROM than it did with CM9. :confused: :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez