Rooted. Now what?

Bodhi Utah

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I decided to root for the sole purpose of getting Titanium Backup running.

I tried rooting without tripping the flash counter, but it hung up on the SAMSUNG screen. The only way to undo it was a wipe and factory install. I wiped the phone which put me back to 4.0.1., then restored my data and Kies upgraded me back to 4.1.1. I tried again with the same result. Wiped again. Tried rooting before the restore and it worked, but when I restored my data, Kies upgraded the phone to 4.1.1 and I was back to no superuser.

So I decided to root without worrying about the flash counter and it worked fine. Titanium Backup is running.

I'm not necessarily interested in 4.2.2 or custom ROMs (yet). But what's next now that TB is running? I've heard discussions about manually stripping AT&T bloatware. Anything else I should be looking at doing now that I have root access? Any root apps that are a must have (other than TB)?

Thanks in advance.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I strongly urge you not to willy-nilly start deleting bloatware. If you want to do this, use TiB to "freeze" the apps first. That way they can't run, can't use any resources, and can't slow down your phone, but if you want to get them back you can simply "defrost" them. I've seen too many people delete a bunch of "bloatware," only to discover later that they deleted some critical piece of code that they can no longer get back.

If, after some reasonable period of time (a week? a month?) you are confident that freezing them hasn't caused any problems to anything else, and you really need the extra storage, then you can delete them.

Bodhi Utah

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I have a plan for that too. 4.2.2 is pretty sweet, but I want to make sure everything is backed up first. Once TB backup is complete, I plan to try CM with 4.2.2. I need to synch with Kies to Outlook (contacts/calendar) so I want to make sure synch works with stock ROM (it appears to work fine) before switching to a new ROM.

Bodhi Utah

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I strongly urge you not to willy-nilly start deleting bloatware. If you want to do this, use TiB to "freeze" the apps first. That way they can't run, can't use any resources, and can't slow down your phone, but if you want to get them back you can simply "defrost" them. I've seen too many people delete a bunch of "bloatware," only to discover later that they deleted some critical piece of code that they can no longer get back.

If, after some reasonable period of time (a week? a month?) you are confident that freezing them hasn't caused any problems to anything else, and you really need the extra storage, then you can delete them.

Great advice here. Thanks again. Apps frozen with TiB instead of deleting. They don't use any resources, and they disappear from the Apps menu, so its like they're gone... But TiB can thaw them out quickly if necessary.

I was reminded of this advise when all the ATT bloatware was added to 4.1.2 update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress