Anyone dislike their S3?

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Coming from an iPhone 4s to a HOX I'm really impressed with android, but now storage is an issues for me. Ive had to add all my music to google play in order to have memory. But it not convince with you might in a area that has poor data speeds. Im debating on the SGIII but I'm hearing TouchWiz isn't the best. I seem to have taken a liking to Sense. I would love to see some more comparisons. There aren't enough YouTube videos.

Touch wiz has been much improved for this phone. As far as music, you could use microsd cards to hold your music.

Coming from iPhone 4s, I really love this phone. Deciding what to do with it & getting it just right is gonna take time. So as I use it i'll adjust the look & feel.

Reactions: Raneciansamaiya

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
had the S3 for 3 days... now..

Not Pleased with the middle (home) button..

It is just a tad too big.. (coming from the nexus)

I just ordered the HOX via ebay.. and will play with it and see if the feel is better.. I do know the Home button will be

Coming from a long time iPhone user then hoping ship to the galaxy s2 last year I can easily say the only thing I missed was the home button. And now this year? It's literally Christmas in June because I am so glad to have it back. It gives me a central point to find my way back to on the phone...if that makes any sense.

But hey I'm one of the few weird people that feels that way. I'm sure it's hard coming from a nexus too!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Raneciansamaiya

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
If I had any complaints, and it is truly nitpicking, would be about the button.
I don't like how close it is to the bottom.
Too close to the edge of my case.

Also noticed I can sometimes see in the gap at top of the button. Since it is only occasionally, makes me think it's just loose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

abprice5

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
The one thing the bugs me is when I download a new app, it is added to the end of the app list instead of inserting it alphabetically. It only puts it in alphabetical order when I reboot.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
The one thing the bugs me is when I download a new app, it is added to the end of the app list instead of inserting it alphabetically. It only puts it in alphabetical order when I reboot.

While in the apps list click the menu icon, select view type, then select alphabetical grid. Now it will always keep them in alphabetical order. Even when adding a new app, it'll be automatic.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Let me preface this with the fact that I think the S3 is an amazing phone and have zero complaints about it. I know I'll be sacrificing some things with this decision (namely camera), but I'm returning it and getting an unlocked Galaxy Nexus from the Play Store. Seeing the improvements that Jelly Bean has just made me realize that I can enjoy stock android and have a lot of the same features I like with the S3. Voice Search is just awesome. The notification bar is incredible. The triple buffering should make Jelly Bean feel just as buttery smooth as the S3. I don't dislike TouchWiz, but I prefer stock android and Jelly Bean closes the gap enough for me.

At the end of the day, you'll all still have the superior phone. The S3 is the standard now, but for me I have to go with the stock experience.

Reactions: p3unit32

FARCrow

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Coming from the HOX, I like that screen a bit more. Mainly cause the colors were lighter. The colors on the GS3 seem really rich compared to the HOX.
Try this and see if it looks better to you this way:
Go to Settings > Display > Screen Mode > Natural (instead of Standard)

That way the colors are a lot less saturated. Obviously that will just affect the screen display colors and not the slightly over saturated camera photos.

As for me, this is my first Android device as of 3 days ago (I've owned an iPhone 3G and then an iPhone 4) and I'm really glad that I waited for an ICS device as I wasn't impressed by Android's overall feel before (although now I'm craving Jellybean). I waited till after WWDC and since I didn't see anything major coming with iOS 6 I jumped shipped and I'm glad that I did so. The customization options on my S3 are amazing. TouchWiz is apparently much better than previous iterations (as I've read from a lot of reviewers) but I decided to play around with other launchers such as Go Launcher, Nova and finally settled on Apex. The bigger screen is a huge boon for me as I do a lot of web browsing and Kindle book reading and my iPhone 4's screen was just too small for me. Another thing I love about my S3 is how all the applications are linked when it comes to sharing or opening files/links (I have 3 browsers installed to test and I can choose to open a different one each time or set one of them as a default, in most applications I can share almost any kind of file such as apps, images, audio files through any other app I have installed such as WhatsApp, Google+, Facebook, Email, etc.), and the contact linking out of the box is another plus which lets me search for a contact in one place and can get in touch with them via any method available to me from within Contacts and not having to go the seperate apps like I used to on my iPhone. And .... well let's just say I was really nervous about swapping phones as changing platforms is always a mixed bag, but I'm really happy with my S3 and Android overall. I do hope they continue to innovate and work on the strengths of Google, other app integration and the vast customization options while making the overall UI and user experience smoother to match or overtake Apple's and it seems like they're well on their way with ICS and more recently with Jelly Bean. Oh and somethings that I've missed from my Linux tinkering days and have rediscovered are the amazing communities around Android that I've found with this and other sites which are full of extremely helpful people.

As for my gripes or more like tiny little nit picks:

- I miss my dedicated phone ringer silent mode button (holding down the power button > silent mode > confirming is just one too many steps and requires me to look at my phone's display).

- The home button while very functional is a tad too small/slim for me especially that it's placed all the way at the bottom very close to the edge (I have small hands).

- Power consumption is extremely high even while using Power Save mode and keeping things like GPS and WiFi turned off but then I haven't put down the phone in the last 3 days, so I'll see how it fairs after I revert to a more normal usage pattern. Oh and I've got the International version of the device.

Now I have to go case/car dock shopping :D

Last edited:

nlocurto

May 8, 2012
Visit site
The AT&T S III does not have a screen mode setting. Only the international version.

..Gromet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

mcbaes72

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Unless I missed it, haven't read about S3 owners having problems with dropping wi-fi and bluetooth connections. That's good to see so far since my S2SR drops both daily, very annoying.

Still 50/50 on getting the S3 as my upgrade next month.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Farcrow.. how did you get so savvy using Andriod coming from iOS? You seem like a seasoned pro here and have the GS3 and ICS totally wired. Any tips you can give to a noob who's about to get a GS3? Andriod seems a bit overwhelming as does the new TW since there are so many setting, configurations and ways to customize too. I'm excited about the GS3 and can't wait to play one at an ATT store soon.

FARCrow

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Jontalk and I love your Max Headroom avatar btw :) Well I'm an IT Manager by day and tech geek by night as my wife likes to lovingly remind me :p I spent the last month and a half or so since they announced the S3 reading up on the device and Android in general. Obviously there's a lot to take in so it's easier to start with specific tasks and apps that you already use day-to-day and read up on how they're done and if they're available on Android. Lurking on Android forums helped a lot of course, and finally there's nothing like reading the manual which I must say is quite good. Here's the AT&T version of the S3 User Manual for you. They've also got the following helpful pages:

Galaxy S III Starter Guide
Tips & Tricks: Galaxy S III

It probably also helps to spend a few days just to get accustomed to the included Samsung & Androids apps and the TouchWiz UI, and if you find something isn't quite up to your liking then start looking for apps that'll give you the functionality/features you're looking for. And when in doubt, these and other Android community forums are a great resource full of helpful people so if you search and don't find an answer start a new thread and you'll get lots of helpful feedback!

Best of luck to you with your transition :)

atrixfll

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I have tried the HOX for the past 2 days..screen is not as good ... and ICS just does not fit right.... it too is back on EBAY..

I will go back to my "happy place" the GNEX..

I sold me GNEX last week and ordered one at the lower price yesterday

I feel the size is better ..the HOME button is better ..the battery life is better...

I only use the phone for communication /emails/stream music/a couple of web sites

once my GNEX is set like I like it.. my SGSIII will go back to ATT

Lucki

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I did buy it had it for 3 days then returned it. I miss the screen but really didn't like that home button always felt like it could break or w.e. Back to my SGS2. But I do kinda miss it. It is a nice device.. who knows maybe Ill get it in a month or so just wish I could make up my mind lol!!

lynxy

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't like it already. If it doesn't have multilanguage support. Att can stick it and keep. Going to change the provider.

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm going back to the GSM Gnex and returning my s3. It's still a great phone but miss the feel of the Gnex, and want the first phone to have jelly(Belly)bean. And with the recent price drop of the gnex to $350 through google... no brainer. :cool:

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
..... And now this year? It's literally Christmas in June because I am so glad to have it back. It gives me a central point to find my way back to on the phone...if that makes any sense.

Makes total sense 2 me.... With phones getting bigger & bigger, i never would've dreamed the usefulness a "wake phone/home button" could have, but honestly, so i am with you, "Home Buttons Are Priceless...." To look at a phone designed with them you might say "that is sooooooo 2 years ago", but then find yourself with one of the taller newer phones & constantly having to feel up the sides searching for a button to turn on a phone and its gets REAL old REAL quik!

BTC

jjb70

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
@guinn
I can understand that about the feel. To me the Gnex is the most perfect form factor of any phone. The curved screen is the key. Really thought that would have caught on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: guinnkevinr