Email Update Not Working Properly

nobodyisherenow

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
So I just recently got a galaxy s3 and the major issue I'm having with it right now is with receiving emails. It seems no matter what setting I set it at, whether it be every 5 mins, 10 mins, etc., the only way I can determine if I have a new email is if I go into the actual email app. Does anyone else have this issue? I would think that every email I receive would give me a notification, which I have checked to notify me when I receive an email.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi nobodyisherenow, that's interesting. If you have 'Email notifications' + 'Select ringtone' checked ? then it should, as fas as I think I understand it, give you an audible ringtone notification along with placing a notification icon up in the notification bar. Of course, if you have the 'Select ringtone' set to 'Silent' . . then you won't get the audible ringtone notification.

I was wondering if mine was working properly as well, but then realized that since I have 'Sync email' set to 'never' ? mine only syncs email when I open the email app ? and thus my GS3 DOES NOT ring a tone or even put the icon up in the notif-bar. :confused: Which seems a little strange. But maybe it doesn't because I've got the email app open, watching the emails download, I guess. Anyone else know if that's typical?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I use gmail, so I don't know about the other email app that is on the phone , but with gmail, there is also a setting for "Labels" and that is each box, inbox, priority, sent, etc. When you go to each of those, there is a setting for sync'ing and notifications. So you can set it to notify and sync in the main setting and it can be turned off there is you don't have notifications checked there also. Don't know if it is the same for the other email app or not.

D16RR

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I hate the stock email app. On a perfect day it's slow and aggravating. Try K9 and don't forget to use a widget that has an unopened message counter. When I had message count issues with the stock app I deleted and re-added the mail account. Even then it acted stupid for a while until it decided to behave. If your email supports imap you can set it to push via K9. Sexy time.

nobodyisherenow

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
i have a gmail and aol account. neither seem to update with the stock email app unless i go into the app and hit refresh. only then will i receive my new emails. i'll try deleting and re-adding my accounts to see if that fixes the problem.

edit: just tried deleting the email accounts and re-adding them. the stock email app still is not notifying me every 5 mins as i selected. i did download that k9 email app and that DID notify me when i received emails. so i guess i'll start using that more often than the stock email app. thanks for the help all!

Last edited: