Now that we officially have Jelly Bean what are your thoughts?

Richard Butler

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
How do you turn off mobile data quickly, now that it has been removed from the notifications screen.

I need to be able to toggle LTE off/on to save battery

spartanrob1

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
How do you turn off mobile data quickly, now that it has been removed from the notifications screen.

I need to be able to toggle LTE off/on to save battery

Haven't found one. Settings>>More Settings>>Mobile Networks. there may be a way to create a shortcut. You can't turn off LTE on an ATT S3 via the UI

spartanrob1

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Had some issues immediately post upgrade. Did a system reformat and wiped everything. Reinstalled my apps and things seem to be much better, and (knock on wood) maybe a little better battery (of course right after i ordered a Hyperion 4200).
Home button seems to be a bit 'laggy'

austinography

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
One thing I'm really liking.I can swipe notifications off the pull down shade. There are some that I might not need to open, but I want them off the notification bar and you can just swipe them off to the side and they go away from the notification bar also.

That has been in since Honeycomb. Swipe to delete in the new Gmail is a welcome new feature though. I really missed that since my Palm Pre days.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
That has been in since Honeycomb. Swipe to delete in the new Gmail is a welcome new feature though. I really missed that since my Palm Pre days.

I hadn't noticed you could do that with ICS, but then I had ICS exactly 7 days and then this update came out and hadn't even begun to see what all ICS would do lol

betsuni

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I hadn't noticed you could do that with ICS, but then I had ICS exactly 7 days and then this update came out and hadn't even begun to see what all ICS would do lol

The new feature that JB brought to the notifications is that you can see part of the message for gmail and gtalk (and if you don't want to, can two finger swipe up and it minimizes it back to just a notification).

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately I think the only way to activate Google Now is to long press the home button, and press the google button in the middle. That or activate voice search in the search bar.

Long press the menu button and Google Now will come up. I was using my GN2 as my daily driver since I received it November 9. I updated my S3 without issue with Kies. Used it today and it was fine. Did not notice any issues other than delete key being gone in photos and battery life down to 16% right at 5 pm, which seems a bit low compared to what I recall on the battery life.

I did not have and random reboots or anything out of the ordinary. LTE was as fast as before. Google Now was working as it did on my GN2. Also the blue tooth was working fine in my car and better than my GN2! Overall seems like a good update!

Last edited:

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Well these are all interesting feedback comments.. I come away thinking 'the jury is out' when deciding to update or not. Frankly, my phone works fine, great battery life, no crashes to speak of and I love Swiftkey 3 so updates to the stock keyboard aren't relevant. Will be curious if the update improved low light camera performance though because in my opinion, it sucks. This is coming from a second gen iPhone too.. No argument that the GS3 is head and shoulders nicer than the iPhone though.. The search bar and voice recognition rock!

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Loving it so far. Nova is a little laggy for me every now and then, but I am considering checking out touchwiz again now that the folder icons don't look like something from the 80's. The best thing I noticed though is that JB has fixed the clipboard bug that has plagued me for the last month. Not being able to copy/paste had been horrible.

Other than that Google Now is probably my favorite thing. The cards are creepily accurate. After the latest GNow update I opened it up and was giving a driving time to not only my home but to a local bar I frequent at the end of the week. 20 minutes later got a text from a friend asking if I wanted to meet for a drink there. Creepy coincidence.

Also like the slide to zoom function when moving finger up and down the left or right edge of the screen that appears to work in Chrome/Stock Browser/GMAIL(once zoom enabled) and most other apps that zoom. Not sure if that's JB or Samsung, but I don't remember it in ICS.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
So far I like it a lot. Before I was using over 1gig of ram and now it's down about half and my battery life is up.

So I hear that JB has notifications but I already have GO Notifications. Could I un install Go and be Ok?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

beanctr10

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
So far so good no issues that I keep reading about hope it stays that way too :)
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I missing something here. Are you, You or YOU saying that AT&T now officially have Jelly Bean for the Samsung Galaxy S3?

I've tried to perform an update from the device, but it stated that one wasn't available.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Long press the menu button and Google now will come up. I was using my GN2 as my daily driver since I received it November 9. I updated my S3 without issue with kies. Uses it today and it was fine. Did not notice any issues other than delete key being gone in photos and battey life down to 16 right at 5 pm.
A bit faster than I recall.
NICE!!! Thanks for the heads up, I had no idea, that is totally awesome!

D16RR

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
You have to do it via Kies

Maybe I missing something here. Are you, You or YOU saying that AT&T now officially have Jelly Bean for the Samsung Galaxy S3?

I've tried to perform an update from the device, but it stated that one wasn't available.

juustin56

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Are there any differences between the google jellybean update and the ATT SGS3 jellybean update?

*Please note: not all features on your device will have the Jelly Bean features explained in this article.

I saw this on the Samsung how to update page. What features are they talking about?

D16RR

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I got no issues so far. I'm finding almost exclusively things I like. For instance, now I can bring up the phone keypad before the call connects whereas before it was grayed out prior. The gray notification bar was a fail, but not something I really care about. Google now is a happy thing. You want it for that alone. The rest I wouldn't know. Don't use the camera much, don't game, no movies, no music, use a little internet...

After reading online, there seems to be various issues with Jelly Bean and the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3.

Maybe I\we should wait, no?

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I went back on my word. I've since installed it, but I'm yet to see what the what all the fuss is about with Jelly Bean. Maybe over the next few days I will see it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer