Anybody switch from Verizon to T-Mo? I have some questions about changing.

Bbeelzebub

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Hello. We currently have a family plan with three lines. Two of my phones are on the edge plan on Verizon. I'm trying to do this the simplest way without spending money out of pocket. It appears the cost saving will be worth the switch.

1- How long did it take for T-Mo to give you your gift card to cover the pay off of the Edge plan phone?
2- Does Verizon send you a final bill and then you give that to T-Mobile or do you just tell T Mobile, "I owe this, etc." or can you let them see your Verizon account?
3- Can I request a bill from Verizon showing all the info without canceling immediately? Then freeze the Verizon account once T-Mo's service kicks in, turn in my edge phones to T-Mo and wait on the ETF debit card?
4- Can I just cancel the Verizon service, continue Edge payments while I wait on T-Mo?

It's not so much that I refuse to pay out of pocket to leave, but i've been burned in the past with promises of gift cards, etc that there is suddenly a loophole for and I end up spending more than I was told. Thanks!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Hello. We currently have a family plan with three lines. Two of my phones are on the edge plan on Verizon. I'm trying to do this the simplest way without spending money out of pocket. It appears the cost saving will be worth the switch.

1- How long did it take for T-Mo to give you your gift card to cover the pay off of the Edge plan phone?
2- Does Verizon send you a final bill and then you give that to T-Mobile or do you just tell T Mobile, "I owe this, etc." or can you let them see your Verizon account?
3- Can I request a bill from Verizon showing all the info without canceling immediately? Then freeze the Verizon account once T-Mo's service kicks in, turn in my edge phones to T-Mo and wait on the ETF debit card?
4- Can I just cancel the Verizon service, continue Edge payments while I wait on T-Mo?

It's not so much that I refuse to pay out of pocket to leave, but i've been burned in the past with promises of gift cards, etc that there is suddenly a loophole for and I end up spending more than I was told. Thanks!

1 - I haven't ever done it but from what I have heard / seen from others doing the process it can take awhile. Just think of it like any rebate you normally submit for.

2 - Verizon does send a final bill and you will have to show T-Mobile that you received the ETF (or phone payment all at once) -- and that you paid it.

3 - Doubt it. Verizon isn't really going to be willing to help you leave them by providing everything. You have to just cancel (usually it is easiest to just port out and the account auto-cancels).

4 - You cannot. Verizon will not allow you to still finance the phone when you cancel service. They will send you a bill with your last month charges + the rest of the amount owed for any phone on the payment plan.

The T-Mobile deal is good but you definitely have to pay everything up-front and then get reimbursed.

Bbeelzebub

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the response! Much appreciated.

I couldn't sleep last night, so I did some middle of the night calling and called Verizon and T-Mobile both.

Some of the info you gave me is a bit different from what VZW and TMO gave me.

1- Yeah, it can take up to 8 weeks to receive the gift card.
2-Verizon does send a final bill, however, see number 4. (The TMO rep said there was no reason for me to submit anything having to prove I paid in full, the bill is all they require.)
3- The VZW rep said I could technically cancel to get a bill and resign up, but I'd be without service in the meantime. So that is pointless.
4- VZW gives a choice, you can pay your final bill and the remaining balance on the Device repayment plan, or they will allow you to continue payments on the device until it is paid off.

I'll probably call again later today and see if I get the same answers from VZW. With them, you can never believe what one rep says.

If what they told me is correct, it will work. Just pay the two payments for the two phones while I await on the TMo gift card to do the rest. I just have to call after receiving the bill and let them know I want to make device payments in the meantime.

Thanks again!

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I switched august 19, I believe and am still waiting on the t-mobile gif5 card which can take up to 8 weeks.

You have to submit to t-mobile (via online form) the last bill from Verizon showing the etf and/or edge balance. One thing to keep in mind, actually two:

1. Verizon's bill is not very clear on the numbers associated with edge payments, you have to look on the bill and preferably highlight for the t-mobile workers where to find the details. Also, since the Verizon bill is quite long, scanning the whole thing would be too large a file to upload t9 t-mobile website so I only uploaded the pertinent pages

2. Verizon will not give you a final bill for the edge program even if you ask. I got a final bill showing the etf for the lines onn2 year contract but nothing on the edge. Had to go to the Verizon store and pay off the edge lines and was only given a credit card receipt. What I suggest is you find on the last bill, the details of your edge payments and highlight it and upload to t-mobile. CHECK THE STATUS OF THE REBATE REGULARLY SO THAT YOU CAN CATCHBAN EVENTUAL DENIAL OR REFUND EARLY. THIS WAY YOU MAY BE ABLE TO RESUBMIT DOCUMENTS.

PS: Verizon knows you're in need of edge details and that's why they don't want to provide them... Such a cheap, evil company! I'm glad to have made the switch

Best of luck

The panda has spoken

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
If you have your VZW on auto pay cancel that before you cancel your service. I found that once I cancelled I no longer had access to my account and therefore could not view and print final bill to give to T-Mobile. I had to go to VZW store and have them print for me.

Keep an eye on your rebate. T-Mobile initially rejected mine, had to call and CSR was confused why rebate was rejected. He did an override and I had rebate within a week after that.

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I cancelled my auto pay with Verizon before I went to tmobile to switch. I had 4 phone lines on edge agreement and 1 tablet eft. I made the switch on Aug 8th and my billing cycle was on the 10th of every month. A few weeks after I made the change in got a 175 etf bill foe Aug then last week I got a hard copy of my bill for the device balances. Even though you don't have full access to the Verizon wireless site you do still have access to your online bills.

Now when you go into tmobile you turn in your old devices and they give you partial credit for each device ( I got 994.00) then when you get your final bill, about a month to a month and a half later, you turn that in via https://www.switch2tmobile.com and put what is owed on each device the upload a copy of all final bills, I got 2 (1 with my EFT and 1 with my device totals). Then it can take up to 8 weeks to get visa cards with the remainder left owing from what they already gave you as a credit when you turned the devices in and what's left owing on the device.

So my final bill is over 1600 with verizon, I already got a 994.00 credit so I should get 600 in visa cards to make up the difference.

Hope this makes sense and is clear. :)

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
When I called Verizon (twice) before I switched, both times they told me that the phone payments were separate and I would continue to be billed monthly until paid off. T-mobile also said when I signed up that they just need to see the balances on the final bill, not that I paid them already.
I hope this is the case with Verizon, which is why I called twice to ask.

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
They definitely did not just continue to bill me for the devices considering my device bill is over 1600.00 so that is not true

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
They definitely did not just continue to bill me for the devices considering my device bill is over 1600.00 so that is not true

That's what they told me and I asked if what we talked about was noted on my account and they said yes. So, we'll see what kind of crap they try to pull.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I can say I backup what Bkeaver said.. No phone company I know will allow you to continue payments after you leave them. They all say "* remaining balance becomes due of you cancel service".

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brownsjames