One week update-Switch from IPhone to Samsung S4

mspm47

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
One week today I left Fanboy land and made the jump over the walled garden. Notes are
1-The big screen is great but still having trouble getting use to the extra size. What I could do easily with one hand on the IPhone takes more effort with the S4. I am dealing with it.
2-It is DIFFERENT. There is a learning curve, where Apple gives you just one way to do certain things you have more options in Android land. For the most part, that is good.
3-There are many more apps in the Apple App store but I have found I do not need them. I mean, how many different flashlight apps do I need?
4-The camera and it's options are way superior on the S4. I am sure Apple will address this with the next release but I can only imagine it will be a catch up feature only.
5-I miss the lockscreen/sleep mode notifications on the IPhone. I love the notifications of missed calls and text messages on the lock screen and that they "wake up" the phone. I have tried a few apps for the S4 but they will not work if you have your lock screen on security. I wish they would change that.
6-I am just starting to use the Micro SD card that I purchased for the S4. I can already tell that will be a definite plus.
7-I am really struggling with contacts/calendars. I have been using ICloud to sync my phone with Ipad with PC's (non Mac pc's and one Mac Book Pro). For business purposes, I have over 3,000 contacts and finding no way to use the ICloud to keep all devices updated. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have another week to return the S4 to AT&T but, as of right now, I do not see me doing that UNLESS other issues reveal themselves. It will be very interesting to see what Apple announces in the coming weeks/months in regards to the new IPhone (either 6 or an S).

In summary, the S4 is a very nice piece of equipment

MsPm
Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Glad you are enjoying it (for the most part). Maybe I can help.

1) Yeah, that's a trade off. Bigger screens are nice, but of course the bigger you get, the harder they are to use one-handed.

2) I assume you have read these threads. If not, they may help:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/31622-getting-started-android-tips-tricks.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/137252-apple-users-guide-android.html

3) Well, there's not that many more (Android is posed to pass Apple in sheer number of apps soon). But there are obviously differences. Like you said, how many flashlight apps do you need (zero on your S3 since it has it built in). But there are apps on each not available to the other, and I have found either the same app or an equivalent replacement for pretty much every app from iOS on Android. iOS has a few games I'd like on Android, but I can deal.

4). Agreed. I kindof lol'd when Apple had their "iPhone 5 takes panorama photos now" commercial. Not to make fun, but I was thinking "It didn't before? Wow...."

5) Have you tried WidgetLocker? I use that and it's pretty good and works with security.

6) Nothing to add.

7) iCloud is an Apple thing, and like most (all?) Apple things, it's not really compatible outside the Apple ecosystem. My suggestion is to just use the power of Google (picture me raising a sword in the air He-Man style while I say that). There are options available to migrate all your contacts to Gmail (like this one: How to transfer contacts from iPhone / iCloud to Google Contacts). Once you have all your stuff over in gmail and Google calendar, you have access to it everywhere (even on your iPad). I see no reason to keep my contacts elsewhere.

I hope that helps.

jcochran1977

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
Have you tried the blocking mode on the S4? This is very similar to the do not disturb feature on the iPhone. ??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

con5150

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
7-I am really struggling with contacts/calendars. I have been using ICloud to sync my phone with Ipad with PC's (non Mac pc's and one Mac Book Pro). For business purposes, I have over 3,000 contacts and finding no way to use the ICloud to keep all devices updated. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have another week to return the S4 to AT&T but, as of right now, I do not see me doing that UNLESS other issues reveal themselves. It will be very interesting to see what Apple announces in the coming weeks/months in regards to the new IPhone (either 6 or an S).

In summary, the S4 is a very nice piece of equipment

MsPm
Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult.

Thanks for sharing, I have never had an iPhone, I am coming over from the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and I must say the contacts in the S4 I find to be a total mes compared to the Galaxy Nexus....agree with EvilMonkey btw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa