2.2.1 wifi issue

Skatedawg

ROM Abuser
Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Maybe im the only one having this issue and if so that's fantastic because that means it's fixable. Anyways, I am having an issue with getting my wifi to turn on and connect to a network. It turns on, searches for a network and then turns itself off.

Ideas?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

dagodpapa

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Seems like wifi is a pain with this DX. I've come up with some solutions that will work at home. If you can access your router settings, switch the signals to "g only" instead of mixed or both. If that doesn't work, try to list your phone's mac address on the router settings and assign it a static ip address, that way it won't have to look for one every time you want to use wifi. I've had luck doing this at home, however in public I've yet to try out wifi since the update.

Jihoonie

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah my wifi says that it's connected to a network but does not transfer data. Not sure what's going on. I used to have the issue of dropping a connection before the 2.2.1 update, but I haven't been able to connect AT ALL after the update.

dahlheim

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
i specifically noticed trouble before and after the update with some Netgear routers. quickly cycles from "connected" to "searching" to "connecting to..." and back to the start. no troubles with my Buffalo or Asus routers at home at all, without needing to specify "g only" etc.

Skatedawg

ROM Abuser
Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I found that my problem was with a wifi file that I mistakingly edited to hack my devices so i could run my galaxy tab off my droid x.

kedesa

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I could never keep a connection with my cousin's router (Netgear) before the update. Now I can keep a connection on her router but I am having problems on my router (Verizon FIOS) I can surf for about 20 to 25 mins then I will stop transmitting data. Connection is still there but now data transmission. I go to airplane mode then back out and I am good to go for another 20 mins or so.

I watch a lot of youtube in the bed.

It's not enough to make me want to throw the phone, but still very annoying.

horseshoe

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Mine is set with T/Warner with 0 issues, strong connectivity. I read all over the place about other Wifi connection methods with continual issue.

mooserman

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I could never keep a connection with my cousin's router (Netgear) before the update. Now I can keep a connection on her router but I am having problems on my router (Verizon FIOS) I can surf for about 20 to 25 mins then I will stop transmitting data. Connection is still there but now data transmission. I go to airplane mode then back out and I am good to go for another 20 mins or so.

I watch a lot of youtube in the bed.

It's not enough to make me want to throw the phone, but still very annoying.

I have that same data shut off issue, but with 3g service, hmmm. Did you try restoring the phone?

CanOfBees

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
hey skatedawg -
i'm having similar issues (not rooted, and running 2.2.1) with wifi either a) (@ home) scanning available networks and refusing to connect to my SSID-hidden home network, or 2) taking a looonnnnng time to connect to the networks here at work.

i've tried checking settings > wireless & networks settings > wi-fi settings > menu button -- advanced > enable auto ip to see if that helped the problem but it's hard to say if that's done any good for me.

i haven't tried changing my home router to broadcast the SSID to see if that helps the issue. fwiw my home router is belkin model that is at least 6 years old, so i don't think it's a g/n issue. but i don't know for certain.

hth & keep us posted on what you find out.
cheers!