3/27/12 Update?

JayHawk9292008

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I turned my phone on this morning for it to say there is an update available. My question is do I have to return to stock to accept the update? Running as follows
Firmware: 2.3.6
Base: i510-06 V.EP4; SCH-I510 V.EP4
Kernel: 2.6.35.7-EP4
Build: HUMBLE 5.0

And if it will only lose root access is there a link or thread to just re-root without flashing a complete rom?

Markctco

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I just posted essentially the same question about 5 minutes before you did and haven't had any responses. We can't be the only 2 people in this situation. And it looks like they're gonna shove this update down my throat...update notifications are getting more aggressive. WTF?

JayHawk9292008

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, gonna have to wait and see. I dropped my phone in my shower the other day and it has acted strange ex. shutting off on it's own and really being sluggish. So now that this update is out I am wondering if the update will help, as it is doing it a lot so far today. But as of 20 mins ago it's staying on finally. I hate this phone but am stuck for a while with it. Or until I figure out the next trick to upgrade since they screwed me on transferring an update to a device I shut off that was out of contract. I transferred update first in case you are wondering.

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
If you have a rom or non-stock kernel, then it appears you have to Odin back to ep4d to get the update. There are modem links on xda if that is all you want.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
There are modem links on xda if that is all you want.

This to me is the best option, and it is what I did. I flashed just the new FP1 radio/modem.

FP1 - All packages up to date - xda-developers

Also, for those who are rooted and want to stop the OTA notifications, here is a link that tells you what to do.

Stop ota notification fix - xda-developers

For those who don't want to go to XDA, here are the steps to follow to stop the notifications if you are rooted and do not want the update. You need root explorer or an equivalent app. This solution was posted by XDA members RWNube and motcher41.

Better way by RWNube:
Here is what should work:
Open Root Explorer, browse to /system, mount R/W, long press build.prop, and select Open in Text Editor.
Find the line:
ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/SCH-I510/SCH-I510:2.3.6/GINGERBREAD/EP4:user/release-keys
Change this line to whatever the new ROM's equivelent build.prop's line is. I suspect that just "EP4" needs to be changed to "FP1".
Save the changes to the build.prop file.
Restart

You may have to restart a few times to get data back working, you can also turn data off and on again, see if that works. That worked for me after one restart, notification for update is gone.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
You have to be stock to get the ota update. Im pretty sure the update will fail if you are rooted. If it doesnt fail you will definitely lose root. Xda forum has great info on the update and rooting and roms after the update, etc.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

shobuddy

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I ran the OTA update on my rooted phone and am still on firmware 2.3.6 and EP4. Now the OTA update is no longer available but I am still rooted. How can I unroot then upgrade? Will doing a factory reset unroot the phone?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I ran the OTA update on my rooted phone and am still on firmware 2.3.6 and EP4. Now the OTA update is no longer available but I am still rooted. How can I unroot then upgrade? Will doing a factory reset unroot the phone?

odin back to stock, do the OTA then reroot.

A FACTORY RESET IS THE WORST YOU CAN DO

Markctco

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to try the XDA method described above. I found out that being rooted would not allow the update when I tried to let it do its thing. It tried, got so far, then just rebooted my phone. Good enough, so I thought. But soon the notiifications started coming, so I've been doing the same thing...letting it try to update, fail, then go on till the next notification comes. I'm tired of this game. I hate it that this update is being shoved down my throat. The part of the update I worry about the most is the "remote access" feature, which claims is to aid customer service reps but only with the users ok. Yeah right! If a google maps update comes out and I don't want it I don't have to take it. Why are they so persistant in "giving" me this update. And it's a shame I'm going to have to try something that I've never done before to get this to quit. Don't know if it's Verizon or Samsung, but I'm hatin on somebody:) I'll let you all know what happens. And thanks for all the help and responses.

Markctco

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to try the XDA method described above. I found out that being rooted would not allow the update when I tried to let it do its thing. It tried, got so far, then just rebooted my phone. Good enough, so I thought. But soon the notiifications started coming, so I've been doing the same thing...letting it try to update, fail, then go on till the next notification comes. I'm tired of this game. I hate it that this update is being shoved down my throat. The part of the update I worry about the most is the "remote access" feature, which claims is to aid customer service reps but only with the users ok. Yeah right! If a google maps update comes out and I don't want it I don't have to take it. Why are they so persistant in "giving" me this update. And it's a shame I'm going to have to try something that I've never done before to get this to quit. Don't know if it's Verizon or Samsung, but I'm hatin on somebody I'll let you all know what happens. And thanks for all the help and responses.