A couple of questions concerning the next Note...

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
I intend to upgrade from my S10+ to the Note 20+ at some point after release (read: when it's cheaper, lol). I have a family member that has a Note 8, so I decided to test it out, just to get familiar with the feel in-hand. While doing so, I noticed that the S-Pen feels very flimsy and fragile in my hand. I'd assume S-Pen construction has improved with newer iterations on the Note 9 and 10/+ but as someone with thicker fingers, it's hard to get a firm grip on the Note 8's pen. Is there any other pen stylus I can use with a Note without missing out on all its functionality? If so, how would I go about charging it up when the need arises?

Also, considering the fact that there's no longer a headphone jack, can anyone recommend a compatible dongle that allows for simultaneous charging of the phone and listening to music or watching videos? I've never used a wireless Bluetooth headset before, but I'm concerned about power draw of having it constantly enabled, as well as reduced call quality. Your experiences and recommendations are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bodestone

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
On the S-Pen front it is quite thin and I take a little while to orient it if I need the button so for versy short taks where the button is required that coouple fo seconds can be annoying but you do get used to it and I love the functionality it provides. It will not easily break though.

As for additional drain of bluetooth headsets, that is minimal.
From the first month I moved to bluetooth I could not go back to wired. I had a bothways commute of 3-4 hours, all of which was on Bluetooth music and I rarely put the phone on charge at less then 30% after a full day.
I use in ear buds with a neckband for mine so also love the convenience of just taking the buds out and leaving them hanging round my neck when not in use. If I get a call I can just pop them in and answer. When listening to music, pause an pop them out when at the till etc.
I have gone through a couple of phases of finding the right ones though.

If you are still not ready to shift to bluetooth then you can get USC adapers for under a tenner with an amazon search on: usb c charging and 3.5 adapter

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
should have no problems with the pen. might be a bit narrow but the more you use it, the easier it gets. also since you said you have the s10+, maybe you can check out its bluetooth feature as far as the sound quality. It would be very similar.

Bodestone

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
should have no problems with the pen. might be a bit narrow but the more you use it, the easier it gets. also since you said you have the s10+, maybe you can check out its bluetooth feature as far as the sound quality. It would be very similar.

Agreed. It is narrow and light but not fragile and I love the No-logging-in note taking since the 8 (or was it the 4?). I've not used the pin to AOD shopping list idea for real yet but will do. The hover for more info functiionality is amazing and the smart cut to get am image of a phone number and dial it is just Gonzo.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I would say the later pens... are just as fragile as my Note 8 pen. Not to say easy to break since mine still perfect in 3 years. But I also don't use it daily.

But the Note 9 when released there were many people commented out of box their pens had a bend or bow to them. Some internal differences to the 8 but structurally and feel pretty much the same and personally can't tell them apart.

If it breaks they are not that expensive to replace if out of warranty.

If you don't mind carrying a pen separately, any Wacom compatible pen will work for the basic pen features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SzE3NpEKWw

I intend to upgrade from my S10+ to the Note 20+ at some point after release (read: when it's cheaper, lol). I have a family member that has a Note 8, so I decided to test it out, just to get familiar with the feel in-hand. While doing so, I noticed that the S-Pen feels very flimsy and fragile in my hand. I'd assume S-Pen construction has improved with newer iterations on the Note 9 and 10/+ but as someone with thicker fingers, it's hard to get a firm grip on the Note 8's pen. Is there any other pen stylus I can use with a Note without missing out on all its functionality? If so, how would I go about charging it up when the need arises?

Also, considering the fact that there's no longer a headphone jack, can anyone recommend a compatible dongle that allows for simultaneous charging of the phone and listening to music or watching videos? I've never used a wireless Bluetooth headset before, but I'm concerned about power draw of having it constantly enabled, as well as reduced call quality. Your experiences and recommendations are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bodestone

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
The S-Pen is thin and I have trouble orienting it for the first couple of seconds so for quick tasks that can be awkward but most quick tasks you don't need to find the button in my usage. Though it won't break in uyour hand the lightness is a little distracting at first but I got used to that.

Regarding the headphone jack I have not been able to go back to wired phones for over 10 years. I am generally listening to 4+ hours of music a day and leave them connected for the rest for little extra drain on the phone's battery.
I can't compare it to wired but the usage was mimimal in istelf. My Note 3 actually became unusable for months due to the headphone jack filling with water in a rain storm and only being able to have any audio with wired phoned plugged in.

I use in ear phones with a neckband and love the convenience of just popping out the ear buds and leaving them hanging fromthe neck when not in use. At the checkout in a shop, or just at my desk. Phone rings, pop them in and answer. Walk out of the shop, pop then in and press play on them.

If you need to remain with wired then just search for: USB C 3.5mm adapter charging

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I've used the Note 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9. The S Pen is thin on them all but I've never broken one. They keep it light weight and slim to fit inside a phone. On the tablets they quit storing the S Pen inside the device and made them larger.

The S Pen doesn't require a charge to write or interact with the screen, it's powered by Wacom tech and any modern Wacom pen should work. You could also buy a replacement S Pen from one of the tablet models and use that.

Since the Note 9 the S Pen does function as a remote via bluetooth too, it's for simple things like clicking the button to activate the camera, that functionality would be lost using a different pen.

Bodestone

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I've used the Note 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9. The S Pen is thin on them all but I've never broken one. They keep it light weight and slim to fit inside a phone. On the tablets they quit storing the S Pen inside the device and made them larger.

The S Pen doesn't require a charge to write or interact with the screen, it's powered by Wacom tech and any modern Wacom pen should work. You could also buy a replacement S Pen from one of the tablet models and use that.

Since the Note 9 the S Pen does function as a remote via bluetooth too, it's for simple things like clicking the button to activate the camera, that functionality would be lost using a different pen.

1,2,3,4,8,10 myself. Love the pen and all the advances in ways to use it since. I like the pin to AOD for Samsung Notes that is there now so I can pin a shopping list to the AOD and cross stuff off without ever having to unlock the phone.

The new bluetooth remote gestures will be great if I ever have need of them.
I do quite often make use of the hover preview though and the pointer preview proximity circle is very handy in drawing apps to reconnect where you left of or on remote sessions to move the mouse pointer without touchng the pen to the screen. Also websites in PC mode with hover to drop down menus. These have been there since the start but are some of the most useful things I find.