AC Members - Tell us about your device history!

rcunningham

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Re: Post Your Phone Timeline

My list of my phones:
LG Ally
LG Ultimate 2

The LG Ally was my favorite, then I bricked it because I had no recovery at the time. Modified a .so file and the restarted and it bricked. My LG Ultimate 2 has no ROMs or recovery, so I am gonna get the LG Ally again to finish my CM6.1 project.

mltvfl

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site

Not counting dumbphones.

Apple iPhone 4
Samsung Galaxy S2
HTC Rezound
Apple iPhone 5
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
LG Nexus 4
Samsung Galaxy S4
LG Nexus 5
LG G2
HTC One M8
Motorola Moto X (2013)
OnePlus One
Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Posted from my SM-N910A

dyana9673

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site

Blackberry pearl, blackberry curve, Evo , g2x, lg my touch 4g, Samsung galaxy s2 &3 ,HTC One S , Nexus 4, Nexus 5, IPhone 5s ,Sony z1s, Lg g2 , Lg g3 , Nexus 6. I am sure there are a few I forgot.

32gig

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site

Some Nokia brick - US Cingular
Couple flip phones - US Cellular
Couple flip phones - Verizon
Blackberry Pearl - T-Mobile (service sucked so went back to Verizon)
Motorola RAZR flip phone - Verizon
Sidekick - Verizon
HTC Droid Eris - Verizon
HTC Rezound - Verizon
Nexus 5 - Straight Talk

Posted via Android Central App

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Your Android phone history

What was your first Android? What other Android phones have you used?

I'll begin.

The first Android phone I have ever used was the humble Samsung Galaxy S II GT-i9100G unlocked variant way back in 2011. It ran a dual-core TI OMAP 4430 SoC clocked at 1.2GHz and featured 1GB of RAM and ran Android Gingerbread when it was new, with TouchWiz 4.0 laid on top. It was fast for its time and that display looks absolutely gorgeous, even today. It's lived it's purpose, though. The battery is shot, but the phone lives on, and is currently the phone that we use for travelling with local SIM cards. It currently runs Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich with TouchWiz 4.0 + the Nature UX launcher. Has a Transcend 8GB Class 2 microSD card.

The second one on the list is the Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-i9300 unlocked variant from 2012. Running a quad-core Samsung Exynos 4412 clocked at 1.4GHz and with 1GB of RAM, it's a monstrous performer when it was new, along with Android 4.0.4 ICS with TouchWiz Nature UX 1.0 laid on top. The camera is excellent for its time and packs a lot of features that has become standard today like NFC. It's currently a backup and development device for testing out different custom ROMs. Currently runs Android 5.1 Lollipop on a CyanogenMod 12.1-based ROM. Features a 16GB SanDisk Ultra for storage expansion.

The third one is the HTC One M7, from 2013. My initial choice was to go with the Galaxy S4, but after seeing the impressive design and speakers, the M7 was my choice. Rocking a quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 clocked at 1.7GHz and 2GB of LPDDR2, the phone is crazy fast, even today. Though it ran Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean when new, it has received a lot of updated and currently stands at its final update, Android 5.0.2 Lollipop. The camera was capable when it was new, but currently suffers from extremely poor contrast and the purple tint defect. It's also a backup device now and also used to test custom ROMs. Currently runs Android 5.1.1 Lollipop on a CyanogenMod 12.1 nightly. Does not feature an SD card slot.

The fourth one on the list is actually my dad's; the 2014 LG G3 D855. I suggested it to him when his previous phone (the Galaxy S3) started crapping out and lagging randomly. The G3 was my choice over others like the HTC One M8 after seeing many recommendations from my friends who have the same phone. To this day, I have no regrets. It rocking a quad-core Snapdragon 801 clocked at 2.5GHz and 3GB of LPDDR3 might sound underpowered due to the Adreno 330 + 1440p combo, but really, this phone is more than fast enough to handle what my dad throws at it. It hasn't really lagged horribly, though it does have minor stutters, though none really bothered my dad as much as his S3 did. It ran Android 4.4.2 KitKat when new and currently runs Android 5.0 Jelly Bean. Surprisingly, no issues so far. As said before, it runs Android 5.0 Lollipop now, with LG's UX 3.0 UI laid on top, and also has a Kingston 16GB Class 4 microSD card.

The fifth and final one (for now) is my current daily driver, and by far, my favorite phone on this list; the 2015 LG G4 H815. It was my preferred choice when I watched the G4's launch event and I've been following it closely even before launch. When I heard that this will have a removable battery and microSD card slot like the G3, I knew that this was my choice, given how my M7 had progressively worse battery life and it's filled to the brim storage-wise. While it rocking a hexa-core Snapdragon 808 clocked at 1.82GHz for the A57 and 1.44GHz for the A53 might sound underpowered, the G4 is more than quick enough for my usage, and does so better than many phones equipped with the Snapdragon 810. 3GB of LPDDR3 also helps with multitasking. It runs Android 5.1 Lollipop with LG's UX 4.0 UI laid on top, which I actually really like. The camera is killer and many aspects of the phone made me want to keep this phone for longer than usual. It has a 128GB SanDisk Ultra Class 10 microSD card and an extra 3000mAh battery.
DSC02130.jpgDSC02135.jpgDSC02140.jpg

So, that's my Android phone history. What's yours?

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: Your Android phone history

I started with the original HTC G1, in black, ordered within a few minutes of the opening of pre-orders. Mine is very early production and I still have it. It has some minor flaws, but is in generally good condition. I put it back to totally original configuration, Android 1.0 unrooted a couple of years ago. Last time I fired it up was about a year ago and it worked fine. Now I wish I'd kept the original box, etc.

Since then I've a succession of Androids, I won't go through them here. But I always made a point of buying phones that came with vanilla Android, even if I intended to root them. Vanilla is the only way to go. Presently, our in-service devices are a 2012 Nexus 7, a 2013 Nexus 7, a Nexus 5 and a Nexus 6. And when it comes time to replace these, it will be with Nexus units. Well, it could possibly be a new Moto X Pure. Very nice, well-priced phone running nearly vanilla Android, probably close enough. Tempting. We'll see what the new Nexus phones are like and figure it out then.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site

Decided to make the switch after my iPhone 4 mainly just to try, for no other reason than to say I did. I liked IOS, but knew nothing of Android and wanted to give it a go.

With that, the LG Optimus G came to AT&T. The first quad core phone in the US. Snapdragon 400. Read about this phone for some time before it came out in November of 2012. I've never looked back.

Next was my Nexus 5, for obvious reasons. It's a Nexus. Snapdragon 800. Getting to know the Android community, I wanted to know what the Nexus experience and stock Android was all about. It's the best phone I've ever owned.

Now I'm on to my LG G4 and loving it more and more over time. Also, I'm glad the tools are in the Google Play store to give me a stock Android experience.

Posted from my LG G4 via the Android Central App

Last edited:

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

I started with the original HTC G1, in black, ordered within a few minutes of the opening of pre-orders. Mine is very early production and I still have it. It has some minor flaws, but is in generally good condition. I put it back to totally original configuration, Android 1.0 unrooted a couple of years ago. Last time I fired it up was about a year ago and it worked fine. Now I wish I'd kept the original box, etc.

Since then I've a succession of Androids, I won't go through them here. But I always made a point of buying phones that came with vanilla Android, even if I intended to root them. Vanilla is the only way to go. Presently, our in-service devices are a 2012 Nexus 7, a 2013 Nexus 7, a Nexus 5 and a Nexus 6. And when it comes time to replace these, it will be with Nexus units. Well, it could possibly be a new Moto X Pure. Very nice, well-priced phone running nearly vanilla Android, probably close enough. Tempting. We'll see what the new Nexus phones are like and figure it out then.

I have to give a Nexus a try.

Even though I have some devices running (almost) stock Android

32gig

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site

I started off with the htc droid eris, nice little phone.

Then upgraded to the htc rezound, was a great upgrade from the eris. I did like the sense ui at one time. Both of these were on Verizon.

Then I made the greatest upgrade ever to the nexus 5. Ditched Verizon and put my nexus 5 on straight talks at&t sim. Best decision I've ever made, and hands down best smartphone I've ever owned.

Posted via nexus 5 (straight talk)

washuai

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site

I started with an HTC Thunderbolt, which started earning its keep right away and got me unlimited. Then one day mine hit the water and the replacement units were issue plagued, which led to Motorola Droid Razr Maxx, then the current Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD. I almost got a Droid Maxx and even had it in hand, but sent it back, because I wasn't prepared to downgrade to 16GB internal. So I'm limping along on my Droid Razr Maxx HD, until someone sells the phone I want or I'm forced to get another misadventure swap. The magic of battery life, small size, SD slot, 32 GB memory, & water resistance is apparently hard to replicate.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

3 different Sprint flip phone's
Motorola Q
BB Pearl
BB 8330
Motorola Droid
HTC Incredible
HTC Thunderbolt
Droid DNA
Galaxy Nexus
HTC M7
HTC M8
Next will be Note 5

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

Nokia 5110
Nokia 3315
Moto flip phone
Moto flip phone
Samsung flip phone
Pantech Link
Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Galaxy S3
Galaxy Rugby Pro
LG G2
Moto G
2014 Moto X
LG G4
Alcatel Idol 3

Sent from my 6045I using Tapatalk

WP7Nettwerk

May 21, 2015
Visit site

My first phone was Siemens C35. I had a lot of phones. But here is a list with few phones what I remember. Motorola V3, Benq-Siemens EF-81, Nokia 6310i, 8910i, Sony Ericsson k750i, Nokia 9210i, Palm Treo 6xx, Palm Pre, iPhone/3/4/6 Plus, One Plus One, Nexus 6, Samsung (with first color screen), Nokia Lumia 930, 1020, HTC Diamond, HD7, Titan, Nokia 8210 and more...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

312MotoGus

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
Long read Re: Post Your Phone Timeline

My mobile history. Oh man. Dates, when I can remember them, are very approximate. New phones came at roughly 2-year intervals, all under AT&T’s former companies: Cellular One, Cingular, etc.

My first cell phone was a gift from my dad, for my college graduation at age 24 in July, 1995. It was a Motorola MicroTAC, their first big flip phone. The Striiv fitness watch I wear these days probably has more computing power.

Next was the Motorola StarTAC, their first small flip. Fun little piece, smaller than the battery on the previous beast.

Then a different direction, an Ericsson digital phone, the R320 candy-bar. Just awful, I hated that thing, sounded like crap and ugly as stink. Can’t remember why I bought into it. *shudder*

The first legacy phone I still have was my sweet little Nokia 282 flip. I was downstate in Peoria visiting my then-girlfriend, and I saw this phone at a Cingular (AT&T) kiosk. I flipped for it (ha!) and signed up on the spot. (Turns out I had to go back to my Chicago-area to sign up, but I got one.) I loved this phone, and still have it. It was relatively thin, light, and the flip action was smooth and precise. Only the screen on the flip, not the battery like the StarTAC, so it was lighter. Can’t say enough about it, it was great. Still have it.

My next one was also a Nokia, the legendary 3360 bar phone. This was also a fantastic unit. Solid, felt like it was carved from granite. Worked great, perfect size, and the interchangeable covers were fun, I had about a dozen. Fun trivia: it could stand on its end, and if you called it with the buzzer on, it would slide along a smooth surface with each buzz- hilarious! Still have it.

Went with Motorola again when the V60 flip caught my eye. In retrospect, it was only a so-so phone, but it was my first camera phone, with something like a 1.3MP camera. Wow. First color LCD too. Think I still have it.

Samsung’s SGH-A737 was next, a really nice little vertical slider, with QWERTY keyboard. Camera was about the same as crappy as the V60. But this phone was really nice, liked it a lot. Still have it.

Samsung made a great follow-on in the Flight, similar to the A737 but larger and less rectangular. Slightly better camera, and my first touchscreen. Really nice, I liked it a lot. Still have it.

Back to Motorola from here on, with the Atrix 2, my first smartphone. Love this little thing. Durable, handsome, and overall a great smartphone experience in its time, which was only about 3-4 years ago.

The Motorola Atrix HD was the successor, and I liked it a lot as well. Slightly bigger screen than the Atrix 2, but it looked more so, and mostly thinner except for the camera hump at the top. Had it for less than a year when I fell asleep laying back in the recliner with the HD on my chest. Woke up and straightened up the chair, reaching for where I had left the HD to catch it. At that instant, a crunching sound came from under the chair. The HD had slipped down into the workings of the recliner, and was crushed. Bent my SIM card in half, but thankfully left the micro SD intact. Dig:

I had insurance on it, so they sent me a 2013 Moto X, in early 2014. Was not able to Moto-Maker it, but in basic black it’s a good looking piece. This is what I’m using now. It’s great, there is very little I don’t like about it, the screen burn-in being #1. It’s been great, but recently has felt small.

In July I ordered a 2014 Moto X from Moto Maker, Navy Blue back, Black front, and Orange trim, the Pure Edition. It was great! I loved it, it did everything better than my 13 but felt so very familiar. No learning curve to speak of. Then they announced the 2015 Moto X Pure Edition, and I immediately returned the 14.

And that’s where I am now, still loving my OG Moto X, but eagerly (!) awaiting my 15, which has been ordered.

Who knows what the future will bring, mobile-device-wise…