After Factory Reset, X10 tablet wifi mac address changes each time its booted

edwardrandall

Dec 15, 2018
Visit site
Dragon Touch X10 gets new mac address with each reboot.

I factory reset a Dragon Touch tablet ( android 5.1.1) , and since then it has been presenting a different wifi mac address to the router each time I reboot it.
I’ve tried many Internet researched solutions without success. It is rooted and busybox is loaded and working.

I’ve tried; and result:
(a) A couple mac changing apps from the playstore – they give undescriptive fail/error messages
(b) “creating” a NVS_map.bin file – nothing like it exists on the system. Wlan_cu didn’t run or couldn’t be found. [ There were various directions and packages that used, in one form or another strings like:
/ w p 1 l 2 f 2 / t r h 0 7 / t b b 375 128 0 etc.. I could never get through this process and never managed to create a NVS_map.bin file ]
( c) using the command: busybox ifconfig wlan0 hw ether XX:XX:XX:YY:YY:YY as root user. If WiFi is on, then I get no feedback or error, and the command has no effect. If wifi is off then I get “SIOCSIFHWADDR: No such device”
(d) Various other directions fail because ‘browse to file’ — but the file or folder structure isn’t there ; or a program doesn’t run.

One program suggested that some kernels won’t allow changing the mac. I’m pretty sure there is a solution, because I’m 90% sure there was no problem before I did the factory reset.

Though I have some old familiarity with unix my knowledge of how firmware, kernels, etc… work is pretty limited. I don’t know if it is possible to “tweak” a kernel to allow mac modifications (assuming that’s the problem). I don’t know if kernels are device specific.
I found nothing of value searching for dragon touch x10 firmware updates or kernel updates.

SO – I’m looking for things to try to get my X10 to always present the same wifi mac address to my wireless routers.
Thank you

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Are you running Pry-Fi? That would change the MAC address for every connection. (That's the purpose of the app. You want it to change, so you can't be tracked through a store if you turn wifi off and on periodically).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174