Anyone else, getting this phone due to the Riot announcements?

DestinedtoGame

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I was on Discord after the announcement yesterday and was debating the 3a XL and the 4 XL. I stated if League of Legends came to mobile (who didn't see that coming) I would be getting the 4 XL. I am on Verizon and there are phones out there that better for gaming. However, those phones have crap cameras and unpleasant UIs. I know Samsung could be a better choice, but I dislike One UI and I don't want to use a launcher.

Well played Rito.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I was on Discord after the announcement yesterday and was debating the 3a XL and the 4 XL. I stated if League of Legends came to mobile (who didn't see that coming) I would be getting the 4 XL. I am on Verizon and there are phones out there that better for gaming. However, those phones have crap cameras and unpleasant UIs. I know Samsung could be a better choice, but I dislike One UI and I don't want to use a launcher.

Well played Rito.

One UI on my note 10 pulse is not bad at all give it a try. The note 10 is a awesome device IMHO can’t go wrong.

imma_rage_quit

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I personally hate the crap all these companies put over top of Android. They feel the need to skin everything and add all kinds of programs you can't uninstall without jumping through hoops. All this garbage does it's chew through battery and slow the phone down. That's why I'll take the Pixel phones every day and twice in Sunday over anything else out there.

DestinedtoGame

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I personally hate the crap all these companies put over top of Android. They feel the need to skin everything and add all kinds of programs you can't uninstall without jumping through hoops. All this garbage does it's chew through battery and slow the phone down. That's why I'll take the Pixel phones every day and twice in Sunday over anything else out there.

I am in the same boat as you are in. When you are using a launcher there is a delay. It may not be much but I feel the difference between when I am using Nova Launcher Pro and when I am using Pixel Launcher.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
When you are using a launcher there is a delay.
OneUI is a launcher. When you replace it with another launcher, you're no longer using OneUI. If you have a delay, you chose a launcher that runs more slowly than OneUI. (And even then, it only slows the launcher, not any app once it's running. Apps don't run in the launcher, they run beside or instead of [depending on what's in RAM at the moment] the launcher.)

It may not be much but I feel the difference between when I am using Nova Launcher Pro and when I am using Pixel Launcher.
If you turn off animation, you'll fine that Nova is among the fastest launchers there is - about on a par with the Pixel launcher, and definitely faster than OneUI.

I'd stay away from a Pixel "a" series, though - that's a mid-range phone, and the whole phone will be slower. A Pixel 3, even though it's older, is faster than a 3a. The 4 is faster than the 3 (and has more RAM, which might make it even faster for gaming).

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I hate the Google search bar. I don't use Google search, ever, and I don't want the bar there. I've been using Nova but Huawei seems to have a lot of customization options that I will probably try.

imma_rage_quit

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
OneUI is a launcher. When you replace it with another launcher, you're no longer using OneUI. If you have a delay, you chose a launcher that runs more slowly than OneUI. (And even then, it only slows the launcher, not any app once it's running. Apps don't run in the launcher, they run beside or instead of [depending on what's in RAM at the moment] the launcher.)

If you turn off animation, you'll fine that Nova is among the fastest launchers there is - about on a par with the Pixel launcher, and definitely faster than OneUI.

I'd stay away from a Pixel "a" series, though - that's a mid-range phone, and the whole phone will be slower. A Pixel 3, even though it's older, is faster than a 3a. The 4 is faster than the 3 (and has more RAM, which might make it even faster for gaming).
I turn these animation settings to .5 seconds from the stock setting of 1 second and it makes absolutely EVERYTHING feel faster. It's in developer options. If you haven't tried it you need to...
497a375dbe043e2f8e18507dd3d103ed.jpg

DestinedtoGame

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site

You can tell I did not get a lot of sleep the night prior. I knew this. I will have to try Nova again. I really enjoy the folder feature in the drawer.

DestinedtoGame

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I hate the Google search bar. I don't use Google search, ever, and I don't want the bar there. I've been using Nova but Huawei seems to have a lot of customization options that I will probably try.

I hated the search bar at first but now, I love it. If something comes up in a quick dad moment, BAM, google search. I love it more due to the gestures on Android 10. I feel like I didn't get evicted out screen estate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol