Anyone return their Triumph and go back to the Optimus V?

theboundless

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
my OV with CM7 rom and overclocked 787Mhz cpu can run every bit as well as the T.

You still never mentioned if you owned at MT or not.

I think my question was completely valid. As if everyone walking around always have the best spec'd phones. No, people have a variety of phones for their own personal reasons, and people sometimes willingly choose less impressively spec'd phones. I just want to know why in this particular case (a working MT going back to the OV).

bombaw8

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Do you actually own a MT or are you hypothezing? Because this statement is just patently false, and anyone who has actually owned at MT knows how much better things run on it. My OV was stable overclocked at 825, and I have used aospmod cm7, and even overclocked there was no comparison to a stock MT. I shudder to think about the gap once someone come out with a custom rom for the MT. And I'm not just talking about 3d applications, many times normal applications would take a long time to load on the OV, many times even the pop up keyboard would lag big time. And once you get to the multimedia stuff like netflix, playing videos, or playing games, there just is no comparison. That's because your'e getting the same internals (cpu and gpu) with the MT as the HTC Thunderbolt and the Sony Xperia play, for about half the price. As far as performance, there is no comparsion.

if you would read my posts instead of going all defensive and mother-hen over the T, you will see that I had stated repeatedly that the T, on paper is a better phone in everyway than OV. And I would very much loved to be able to keep it. but I simply could not put up with all the problems it had. if those problems can be fixed or if I know I can go pick up a working unit somewhere today , I?d do that in a heartbeat.

Meanwhile, the OV is a perfectly functional unit and (with the right tweaks) is absolutely not slow in day to day use. If you are one of those who goes around asking ?what?s your score on benchmark X? and ?how many headshots you have gotten today on SmartPhone3DShooterNextGen? then sorry, I am talking to the wrong person. if your OV is so slow that you have to sit back with a cup of coffee to wait for your keyboard to pop up then I can only say your OV is probably broken or misconfigured. For a normal user, who use the phone to talk, text, browse, watch Netflix play angry birds and plants vs zombies, the OV works just as well as the T.

I?m sure everything feels faster on that shinny new toy, at lest it did for me. but if you like to be scientific/realistic about performance then let?s do the math. Assume CPU speed is an absolute representation of performance, and assume your OV (at ~787mhz) is 30% slower than your T (at 1ghz), then assume your keyboard takes 2 second (a long time) to pop up on the v, it would then take about 1.4 seconds to pop up on the T. is that enough difference for me to put up with broken GPS on the T that would take 10 minutes to lock vs on the V?s 10 seconds?

Don?t get me wrong, I can?t wait to move on to the next best thing, but I have too much pride to accept the T at its present form to call it an acceptable replacement, let alone an upgrade to the OV.

bombaw8

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
You still never mentioned if you owned at MT or not.

I think my question was completely valid. As if everyone walking around always have the best spec'd phones. No, people have a variety of phones for their own personal reasons, and people sometimes willingly choose less impressively spec'd phones. I just want to know why in this particular case (a working MT going back to the OV).

hmm... maybe saying "i had to go back to the OV after owning the T for more than 2 weeks" was too subtle. I apologize.

Yes, I did own the phone. I bought the phone on the 15th, several days before it was officially released. I made the bestbuy guy go to the back to pick up the box fresh off the truck. My phone was probably one of the first hundred ever sold. I ?worked from home? for two days to play with the phone and am not ashamed to say that by the time I returned it I probably knew more about it than a normal person should ever needed to know about their phones.

?the best spec?ed phones? shouldn?t even be a discussion when it comes to any pre-paid phone. so let?s take that off the table. let me ask you this: why would someone go spend $300 on a phone that they didn?t think is better than something they already had? And if that phone works perfectly and is truly better in every way than the old one, what possible reason would that person have then to go back to the old phone?

if you ask ?how many people went back to OV after trying the T? then you should expect honest answers. And if the answer is that 3 or 4 or 100 people did exactly that because their T was broken then you got your answer.

If those are not the answers you want to hear then you must have asked the wrong question, you just have to work a little harder to twist the reality. :)

theboundless

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
hmm... maybe saying "i had to go back to the OV after owning the T for more than 2 weeks" was too subtle. I apologize.

Yes, I did own the phone. I bought the phone on the 15th, several days before it was officially released. I made the bestbuy guy go to the back to pick up the box fresh off the truck. My phone was probably one of the first hundred ever sold. I ?worked from home? for two days to play with the phone and am not ashamed to say that by the time I returned it I probably knew more about it than a normal person should ever needed to know about their phones.

?the best spec?ed phones? shouldn?t even be a discussion when it comes to any pre-paid phone. so let?s take that off the table. let me ask you this: why would someone go spend $300 on a phone that they didn?t think is better than something they already had? And if that phone works perfectly and is truly better in every way than the old one, what possible reason would that person have then to go back to the old phone?

if you ask ?how many people went back to OV after trying the T? then you should expect honest answers. And if the answer is that 3 or 4 or 100 people did exactly that because their T was broken then you got your answer.

If those are not the answers you want to hear then you must have asked the wrong question, you just have to work a little harder to twist the reality. :)
I'll count you in then as one that returned your MT, sorry but there are a lot of posts to keep up with. I don't have any answers I want to hear or don't, I'm not exactly sure where you're getting that. I just wanted to hear people's responses from those who have actually owned the phone, as opposed to the criticisms of it by people who haven't ever owned it. Like I said, I'll tally accordingly if its relevant to my specific question.

If you want to start a separate thread on MT quality control issues, please do. That seems to be the question you're interested in. For me, that's not.

bombaw8

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I'll count you in then as one that returned your MT, sorry but there are a lot of posts to keep up with. I don't have any answers I want to hear or don't, I'm not exactly sure where you're getting that. I just wanted to hear people's responses from those who have actually owned the phone, as opposed to the criticisms of it by people who haven't ever owned it. Like I said, I'll tally accordingly if its relevant to my specific question.

If you want to start a separate thread on MT quality control issues, please do. That seems to be the question you're interested in. For me, that's not.

to be honest, it does not matter to me how you counted my answer. However, I do take issue with how after some honest feedback posted by real owners, you tried to ?reframe? the question by saying that you are only interested in feedback from people who did not find any problem with their phones. I assumed the only reason to ask such a loaded question is an attempt to skew the answer, to make it seem like no one would ever goes back to OV once he had a T.

I apologize if I misunderstood your intentions.

Obviously, anyone who got a T that did all it was supposed to do without any noticeable problem (it doesn?t necessarily mean the phone was problem-free) would have no reason to return that phone. he wouldn?t have wasted his time and money buying the phone otherwise. Meanwhile, people who had noticed the problems (whether it?s performance or hardware related) and had found them to be unacceptable would choose to go back to the OV. If you simply write-off any and all negative feedback as ?people who got broken phones therefore don?t count? then whatever statistics you would gather from this questionnaire would be meaningless.

floridarick

May 13, 2011
Visit site
to be honest, it does not matter to me how you counted my answer. However, I do take issue with how after some honest feedback posted by real owners, you tried to ?reframe? the question by saying that you are only interested in feedback from people who did not find any problem with their phones. I assumed the only reason to ask such a loaded question is an attempt to skew the answer, to make it seem like no one would ever goes back to OV once he had a T.

I apologize if I misunderstood your intentions.

Obviously, anyone who got a T that did all it was supposed to do without any noticeable problem (it doesn?t necessarily mean the phone was problem-free) would have no reason to return that phone. he wouldn?t have wasted his time and money buying the phone otherwise. Meanwhile, people who had noticed the problems (whether it?s performance or hardware related) and had found them to be unacceptable would choose to go back to the OV. If you simply write-off any and all negative feedback as ?people who got broken phones therefore don?t count? then whatever statistics you would gather from this questionnaire would be meaningless.

Very well said bombaw8!!!! I agree with you 100% once theboundless started hearing the answer that he did not want to hear. He "wrote-off any and all negative feedback"

He basically changed his question when he started getting answers & comments he did not want to hear.......ha ha ha :D

theboundless

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Very well said bombaw8!!!! I agree with you 100% once theboundless started hearing the answer that he did not want to hear. He "wrote-off any and all negative feedback"

He basically changed his question when he started getting answers & comments he did not want to hear.......ha ha ha :D
I admit I should have been more specific with my original question. I'll be more careful next time and not jump the gun with posting, so misunderstandings like this don't happen again.

ceejay83

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
does anybody know if the reception issues can be resolved with updates or is it a hardware issue? it's the only problem with the triumph and i might return it

theboundless

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
does anybody know if the reception issues can be resolved with updates or is it a hardware issue? it's the only problem with the triumph and i might return it
Here's a few things:

1. Try the prl hack. My MT used to drop to 1x while using gps occasionally, but with the prl update it doesn't anymore. And I get more bars at home. I think the prl update is a must for all MT users.

2. This may just be a tradeoff issue. Even with the prl update, the MT's signal strength may not be as strong as the OV's. But the tradeoff is dramatically increased battery life (both stock, from the official webpages). The MT's talk time is 8.5 hours, while the OV's is only 2.5. And the MT's standby time is about 300 hours, while the OV is only rated for about 150. So it could be the case that the engineers decided that it was worth it to dramatically increase the battery life with a more efficient but weaker antenna.

3. Some may argue that a custom rom'd OV would outlast the MT. I wouldn't necessarily disagree, but I don't think this is a fair comparison. The stock MT is rated for much better battery life than the OV, and this is from the phone makers themselves. Once a custom rom'd MT comes out (hopefully soon!), then it can be fairly compared to a custom rom'd OV.

johnp012001

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Here's a few things:

1. Try the prl hack. My MT used to drop to 1x while using gps occasionally, but with the prl update it doesn't anymore. And I get more bars at home. I think the prl update is a must for all MT users.

2. This may just be a tradeoff issue. Even with the prl update, the MT's signal strength may not be as strong as the OV's. But the tradeoff is dramatically increased battery life (both stock, from the official webpages). The MT's talk time is 8.5 hours, while the OV's is only 2.5. And the MT's standby time is about 300 hours, while the OV is only rated for about 150. So it could be the case that the engineers decided that it was worth it to dramatically increase the battery life with a more efficient but weaker antenna.

3. Some may argue that a custom rom'd OV would outlast the MT. I wouldn't necessarily disagree, but I don't think this is a fair comparison. The stock MT is rated for much better battery life than the OV, and this is from the phone makers themselves. Once a custom rom'd MT comes out (hopefully soon!), then it can be fairly compared to a custom rom'd OV.

The phone makers who are in business to sell phones! :p I don't put much faith in those ratings, as there are way too many other factors. 300 hours standby? Right! In normal use, the Mt battery life sucked!

bombaw8

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
The phone makers who are in business to sell phones! :p I don't put much faith in those ratings, as there are way too many other factors. 300 hours standby? Right! In normal use, the Mt battery life sucked!

they probably meant standby with the phone off. ;) there's no way the T or OV would last more than a week, even if it was never turned on and spent the entire time in airplane mode.

as for PRL changes. it will ONLY help if you are in an area where they put up new towers in the past few month to a year and the tower was not including in the stock PRL. most people won't notice any difference by switching PRL and it for sure will NOT increase your phone's receiving power in anyway.

dbm is just a relative value, comparing it to another phone like OV is meaningless. the key is to actually use it and see if you get more dropped calls/connection in any area where another phone does not. my house has borderline coverage, OV comes in at about -95dbm while T had -103dbm or so. i didn't get any more dropped calls or slower (than the 50kbps i was getting) data connection on the T, so signal level was not the show stopper for me.

bombaw8

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
i'm getting 3-4% drain per hour just sitting idle. is this the norm?

when i still had my T, i was losing about 10% over night. that's about 8-9 hours. my OV is a bit better but i had more work done on it. so i'd say if you are losing 3-4% while doing absolutely nothing then it's a bit high. i'd check if you have anything running in the background that's burning cpu/doing partial wake and/or accessing network. i suggest two apps to make things easier to track down: Battery Monitor Widget and Traffic Monitor.

however, more important than how much battery it drains on idle, if you can get about 10-12 hours of usage out of your phone during a normal work day (with about 3-4 hours of actual on-time) then i wouldn't worry too much about it. that's probably the best you can expect from a phone like the T.

if you really want to squeez a bit more life out of it, try Juice Defender. most people would be able to get about 3 hours of extra time by using that or similar app.

easyguy

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah currently the phone is using up a lot of battery, while it was the same with the OV, but after rooting and using custom roms, the battery life was much better. So here is hoping that a custom rom will dramatically improves battery life.

easyguy

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
if you really want to squeez a bit more life out of it, try Juice Defender. most people would be able to get about 3 hours of extra time by using that or similar app.

I thought I've read comments and reviews that say using those programs such as task killer and juice defender are useless in modern phones and might even eat up more battery because it would be constantly running in the back ground. They said those apps were probably good when Android and the apps were in its early stages....now if the apps are made right and correct it should not be sucking up any battery when it is not in use.

ceejay83

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I thought I've read comments and reviews that say using those programs such as task killer and juice defender are useless in modern phones and might even eat up more battery because it would be constantly running in the back ground. They said those apps were probably good when Android and the apps were in its early stages....now if the apps are made right and correct it should not be sucking up any battery when it is not in use.

that's correct about task killers and they are useless after android 2.0. juice defender helps a lot, it turns off your data/wifi when you have the screen off

ceejay83

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
when i still had my T, i was losing about 10% over night. that's about 8-9 hours. my OV is a bit better but i had more work done on it. so i'd say if you are losing 3-4% while doing absolutely nothing then it's a bit high. i'd check if you have anything running in the background that's burning cpu/doing partial wake and/or accessing network. i suggest two apps to make things easier to track down: Battery Monitor Widget and Traffic Monitor.

however, more important than how much battery it drains on idle, if you can get about 10-12 hours of usage out of your phone during a normal work day (with about 3-4 hours of actual on-time) then i wouldn't worry too much about it. that's probably the best you can expect from a phone like the T.

i'm using green power, which is just like juice defender. still was draining 3-4% / hour with data off. like i posted in the other thread, the 98-99% TWS i'm getting could be the battery drainer for me :(

theboundless

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
i'm using green power, which is just like juice defender. still was draining 3-4% / hour with data off. like i posted in the other thread, the 98-99% TWS i'm getting could be the battery drainer for me :(

I have my MT setup where standby battery drain with 3g on the whole time is 1% an hour when the phone is stationary (like in my apartment), and 1.-2% an hour while out and about town. I personally think this is pretty good, and having 3g on the whole time allows me to keep on my voip calling, get push emails and google voice texts, etc. I'm a firm believer in never turning off the 3g, so I don't use apps like juicedefender or green power, which I've found to actually drain battery life if I turn the phone on and off a lot (like if I get a lot of texts).

Two tricks for dealing with the TWS bug:

1. Toggle airplane mode for a few seconds every reboot. I'm pretty sure you know this one, and I used to have tasker do it for me automatically after every reboot just so I don't forget.

2. Install a program called "network" from the market by phillipe mangelow. click it. choose "cdma auto." press home to exit. Funny thing, for many people this is a permanent TWS fix, meaning it sticks even after a reboot! You don't need to ever open that network app again (but I wouldn't recommend uninstalling it) I first found out about this with my Evo 4g. This may or may not work for you, but for many people it permanently solved their TWS issue on the Evo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana