Anyone thinking about switching?

BOSCHETT

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
I'm considering the S8 or the G6 but being unfamiliar with Samsung's or LG's software I'm not sure if I'll like it. My previous phone was the moto x so I've gotten used to the stock experience for the past several years with that and the 6p. I welcome all comments from anybody with experience going to/from either of these or similar devices.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Can't speak for Samsung but Motorola is the closest to pure Nexus device. LG is right behind it and it runs smooth. I have never used Samsung so I can't comment on them. They all have their minor differences like LG's double tap to wake which is great and one thing I missed when I went to the Nexus.

LG's hardware was lacking in the G3/G4. Not that it wasn't up to date but hardware issues with boot loops and I had issues with wifi antenna. But I think LG has improved those issues.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I couldn't justify spending the $ for the LG G6 with a processor that's a generation behind the rest of the flagships being released.

And the batteries in both the G6 and S8 are smaller than what we already have in the Nexus 6P. I just can't see taking a step back and having to fork out $$ while I'm at it.

That's just me.

Bruce39

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
short answer - no
will keep the 6P as long as working & battery life has not degraded too much; expect to keep it for at least 2 or 3 more years

BOSCHETT

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, but can we please keep replies to experiences with the software on the Samsung and LG. If you left a recent phone from one of these companies for the 6P, would you go back?

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I'm considering the S8 or the G6 but being unfamiliar with Samsung's or LG's software I'm not sure if I'll like it. My previous phone was the moto x so I've gotten used to the stock experience for the past several years with that and the 6p. I welcome all comments from anybody with experience going to/from either of these or similar devices.
I'll share my experience.

I have started my Android journey with Samsung S3. Coming from blackberry, I loved it. I then moved in to big phones starting with Note 3 and then Note 4. When Nexus 6 came out, a 6 inch screen got me excited and made the jump away from Samsung into Nexus world. And oh boy did I LOVE IT. I swore I would never go back to carrier bloat and Samsung lag. I lived and breathed Nexus for few years and had 6, 5x, 6P and most recently Pixel XL.

As much as I enjoyed pure Android, deep inside, I still missed Samsung Note series. When Note 7 came out, I was seriously thinking about going back until it started catching 🔥

The last 2 weeks, I made the switch from VZ to AT&T, and with that, I got a great deal on a S8 Plus, and oh boy was I in for a pleasant surprise. Samsung has come a long way since I've left them back when note 4 came out. UI is so smooth I didn't believe I'm holding a galaxy S phone. I have had Nova launcher on all my phones, and nope, I have not even needed to install it in my S8 Plus.

Camera, amazing.
Build quality, amazing.
Screen, holy cats.
Water resistant, why not.
Wireless charging, use it all the time.
Smooth, never thought I will say that about a Samsung phone.
Infinity wallpapers are so refreshing.
Expandable storage, I have 128gb to hold all my pictures, and music, leaving internal 64gb for apps.

Only thing I changed was installing Gboard as I am still not a fan of Samsung keyboard.

In short, Samsung won me back big time. I now can not wait to see what the Note 8 will bring. Definitely getting that one when it comes out.

Hope this helps. If you decide to make the move, get the S8 Plus, especially that you are coming from Nexus 6P. I honestly don't think you will regret it unless you care about updates on day one. Not me, not anymore. Android O and P will make their ways to S8 Plus, just not on day one and I'm so very much ok with that.

Good luck!

cribble2k

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
My previous phone was the LG G4, (h812) and it had boot loop issues within 11 months of use. It's because of this, I'd have problems recommending any LG products.

I think the Pixel XL is the next logical step. I'll be getting the Pixel 2 XL to replace my 6p later this year.

RTD212

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
I switched to S8 Plus and kinda regretting it. I'm getting phenomenal battery life and the camera is great, I'm not too thrilled with the overall experience with the phone. I think I'm going to get the pixel 2 when it comes out and scrap Samsung for good. I had a few Sammys before the 6p and decided to try them again.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
My previous phone was the LG G4, (h812) and it had boot loop issues within 11 months of use. It's because of this, I'd have problems recommending any LG products.

I think the Pixel XL is the next logical step. I'll be getting the Pixel 2 XL to replace my 6p later this year.

I was going to do the same thing as you but this week my 6P boot looped and I had to get a new phone after 13 months.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I went from the Nexus 5 to an LG G3 and really enjoyed the experience. While I loved stock Android, I really enjoyed LG's software and I loved its SmartWorld store. LG is a great software and company to get behind, in my opinion.

I have not used Samsung products myself, but have fiddled with my mom's S6 Edge and S4 and that is also a very smooth experience. You couldn't go wrong with either choice.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I've had my trust 6P since launch, and after a replaced battery I expect it to last me until the Pixel 2 drops this fall... I've always been a huge fan of Google's approach and will probably stick to it... but...

My wife isn't so stuck, her needs are different and she's now in a new G6 that replaced her S7 Edge. Now, I know the S8 isn't the S7 Edge at all, but... In all the times fussing with that S7 Edge to do this or that I was never once tempted to stray away from my 6P. The curved screens are a major con in my book.. I don't see the use for them and they just make other things difficult. Based mostly off the experience with the S7, and using the S8 for spurts while waiting at a store, etc.. I am, in no way, shape or form, interested in getting either the S8 or S8+... great phone, not for me.

The G6 is a different beast. It might not be as sexy as the S8, but it feels more functional and utilitarian (which I prefer)... no silly curves to deal with. After using it a fair amount, I actually find myself tempted a bit. It's been a good 2 1/2 years since I used a non-Nexus phone that caught my eye (well, maybe the Note that Shall Not Be Named did a wee bit).

But, even though I have that little voice in my head, I am most likely still going to wait for the Pixel 2... because, based on past history, it's going to be a much better phone for my needs than anything on the market at the moment.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've had my trust 6P since launch, and after a replaced battery I expect it to last me until the Pixel 2 drops this fall... I've always been a huge fan of Google's approach and will probably stick to it... but...

My wife isn't so stuck, her needs are different and she's now in a new G6 that replaced her S7 Edge. Now, I know the S8 isn't the S7 Edge at all, but... In all the times fussing with that S7 Edge to do this or that I was never once tempted to stray away from my 6P. The curved screens are a major con in my book.. I don't see the use for them and they just make other things difficult. Based mostly off the experience with the S7, and using the S8 for spurts while waiting at a store, etc.. I am, in no way, shape or form, interested in getting either the S8 or S8+... great phone, not for me.

The G6 is a different beast. It might not be as sexy as the S8, but it feels more functional and utilitarian (which I prefer)... no silly curves to deal with. After using it a fair amount, I actually find myself tempted a bit. It's been a good 2 1/2 years since I used a non-Nexus phone that caught my eye (well, maybe the Note that Shall Not Be Named did a wee bit).

But, even though I have that little voice in my head, I am most likely still going to wait for the Pixel 2... because, based on past history, it's going to be a much better phone for my needs than anything on the market at the moment.

"The Note That Shall Not Be Named"... That was amazingly done, good sir.

gquiring

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm really fed up with my 6P. Last two updates it broke my BlueTooth again. My Toyota Highlander and Panasonic cordless phone can't connect to my 6P. I rebooted and cleared the cache. The cache allowed to connect once to both and next time nothing.

Stock Android is overrated from my point of view, I feel like we are the beta testers. My next phone will be from something hopefully with a more stable version and I don't care if I am running the latest release, I really did not use any features in N vs M. All the same to me.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I'm really fed up with my 6P. Last two updates it broke my BlueTooth again. My Toyota Highlander and Panasonic cordless phone can't connect to my 6P. I rebooted and cleared the cache. The cache allowed to connect once to both and next time nothing.

Stock Android is overrated from my point of view, I feel like we are the beta testers. My next phone will be from something hopefully with a more stable version and I don't care if I am running the latest release, I really did not use any features in N vs M. All the same to me.
Had so many issues with my 6P and car Bluetooth (2016 Honda Accord). Moved to S7 Edge and not ONE SINGLE ISSUE. I am now on S8 Plus and love this phone. Amazing, well rounded phone. I have had Nexus 6, 5x, 6P and Pixel XL. Won't be going back to google phones anytime soon. I'm waiting for Note 8. But honestly, this is the smoothest, best phone Samsung has ever made. Ya it's not "pixel" like smoothness, but my God it's just as good. And with wireless charging, expandable storage, amazing freaking bezeless 6.2 inch screen, and water resistance, S8 Plus comes on top any day of the week in my book.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site

For myself, after using the 6p for a year I wanted something better. Bluetooth and wifi issues along with degrading battery life caused me a lot of problems.

I have had LG phones before ( g4 and the v10) and their software was easily fixed with different launchers and such so that has never been a real problem.

My biggest concern is the battery life and being tied to a charger. Since I use my phone as much as I do, I needed the removable battery and the G6 or s8 was really out of the question. I even went and ordered a new HTC u11, just wanting something new, but realized that it wouldn't really be the best choice for me.

Now that I have the v20, I am very happy with it. It does everything I want it to do, has a beautiful screen, removable battery, the best sound from the internal Dacs , excellent connectivity and its form factor is nearly identical to the 6p.

It is a phone that you should consider looking at coming from a 6p,if you haven't already gotten a new phone yet.

Mac

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
No plan to switch, but I got S8 envy when I saw it at AT&T recently. Couldn't bring myself to go back to a carrier branded phone, but $100 off at BB on the unlocked variant, and my 6P was on Craigslist.

BOSCHETT

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
One thing I want is a smaller size phone so the V20 is out. Thanks for everyone's replies, I haven't chosen yet, but pretty sure I'll be happy with either one.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
No plan to switch, but I got S8 envy when I saw it at AT&T recently. Couldn't bring myself to go back to a carrier branded phone, but $100 off at BB on the unlocked variant, and my 6P was on Craigslist.
Hahaha, great pick. I have S8 Plus AT&T. came from 6p then pixle XL then S7 Edge, then S8 Plus. Very happy with it and waiting on Note 8 lol