Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I switched to straight talk from Verizon. My wife is still on Verizon and I plan on moving her over as well. I have had major issues with GV intergration so I have just had to stop using it and use the normal GV app for text messages. Also, I have been having the weird data drops and have to reboot the phone in order to get data back. I have the APN settings loaded in as I could not get data without them. Anyone know whats causing this?

Do you have HD Widgets installed? If so, it's causing random reboots which cause the APN settings to drop off. Only a power cycle seems to restore them.

I uninstalled HD Widgets and haven't had a problem since. The dev is aware of the issue but claims it's a problem (bug) with Android 4.2 and the new lock screen.

As for GV Integration, I haven't had any problems with it. It works great for me. I compose and receive texts with GoSMS Pro and they transmit and receive via my Google Voice number. No issues.

WaveRunnr

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: Anyone using Nexus4 on Straight Talk?

Source? Tmobile's website specifically states, "National Coverage With NO ROAMING CHARGES."

Monthly 4G Prepaid Plans | Compare Prepaid Data Plans | T-Mobile

Also, how are plenty of people with N4's using it if you can't get through the sign-up process because your IMEI is denied?

For those of you who are already using Solavei, what are the advantages of switching from ST to Solavei? Or using Solavei for $49 vs $50 for Tmo (which Solavei uses)?

T-Mob prepaid plans DON'T include roaming.
The Nexus just came out last week, Solavei probably hasn't updated their website yet, but plenty of people here are using the N4 on it.
The social/sign-up portion of Solavei is completely optional, you can use them as a regular MVNO without worrying about all that stuff.

rclifton

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site

This worked for him and he is good to go now. Thanks for the info!

Glad it's working well for him now! :)

How many of you Straight Talk users have actually ported your number to straight talk and who is using Google Talk and FW your calls to Straight Talk?

I ported mine several months ago but would have ported to Google Voice if it had been an option, sadly my number is orginally a sprint number and for some reason Google Voice says porting is unavailable. Which is odd as I can change the last digit in my numberby one up or down and both are available to port...

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Glad it's working well for him now! :)

I ported mine several months ago but would have ported to Google Voice if it had been an option, sadly my number is orginally a sprint number and for some reason Google Voice says porting is unavailable. Which is odd as I can change the last digit in my numberby one up or down and both are available to port...

Do you have the integration feature turned on between Sprint and Google Voice? If so, you must turn that off before you can port. I had no problem porting my Sprint/Google Voice-integrated number over to Google.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

I'Btw, for the person that suggested Solavei, you may want to do your homework next time before tossing out suggestions. I checked my IMEI and the Nexus 4 isn't supported on their network. And they sound like a Pyramid/Ponzi scheme when you read about their opportunities to make money.

By the way, you may want to do your homework next time before posting incorrect information.

1) Nexus 4 runs on Solavei, that's no secret.

2) They are not a pyramid scheme... you can pay for your service and nothing more, if you wish. But if you start referring people, they refund part of your money (every 3 people is $20 off your bill, I believe). But the point is using their service does not require you to refer friends.

Solavei runs on DC-HSPA+ and allows full 42mbps speeds up to 4GB before throttling. Very viable option; I'd get if if there was T-Mobile coverage in my area.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

chrisbd1

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site

I was in a TMob non-roaming area for 3 days but was able to, briefly, connect to a partner network for phone only-no data. It didn't work more than it did. I'm going to switch to the AT&T ST when I get my Nexus 4 and use the T-Mobile $30 100 min/5GB plan when I get the 3G Nexus 7. I love the Tmobile speed but want it more for my tablet than my phone.

tcapote

Geek Freak
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I went to ST AT&T from Verizon. So far I'm liking it and not missing my LTE speeds. I still have my Verizon line but I'm probably going to get rid of it soon. Just tired of being tied to a carrier.

I am also a Verizon customer testing ST with a Unlocked International Galaxy Note 2. Service has been excellent, I am very surprised and pleased. I am seriously considering dropping VZW even though I am grandfathered in to unlimited. No Nexus on VZW was a deal breaker for me and Googles LG Nexus is a nice option for others in my family (assuming I am on a GSM network!), if ST pans out, bye bye VZW! I am using GV without issue (other than MMS).

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I am also a Verizon customer testing ST with a Unlocked International Galaxy Note 2. Service has been excellent, I am very surprised and pleased. I am seriously considering dropping VZW even though I am grandfathered in to unlimited. No Nexus on VZW was a deal breaker for me and Googles LG Nexus is a nice option for others in my family (assuming I am on a GSM network!), if ST pans out, bye bye VZW! I am using GV without issue (other than MMS).

Yeah we are doing the same here I am going to checkout the service around here and if it's good on the nexus 4 the whole family is coming I'm tired of the 290$ bill every month

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

pito2k6

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I also came from Verizon to ST atnt and use google voice to make n receive calls.I can receive mms but they come through the regular messaging app.

LNWJ

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Since there are so many threads on this subject, here is a quote from what I typed in the other two threads, if it helps:

Switched from Sprint to ST (AT&T). So far the wife and I are thrilled with the service. Call quality is better than it was on Sprint. Data speeds are actually better. On Sprint we would only get between 50k-120k on average down/up speeds. Straight talk is either blazing (IMHO) or on-par/better than Sprint. You will see wild fluctuations in speed but so far the lowest download speed was 250-300k down/up, while moments later it will be 5100k/1000-2000 down/up. So keep this in mind.

I spend 85% of the day on WiFi (Work/Home) so it doesn't bother me. Signal strength is much higher than it was on Sprint. Tested GPS the other day heading to work and the GPS lock on the N4 was instant compared to my NS, once the route had loaded it had a lock in 3-4 seconds (Keep in mind we live in a rural area). Porting our numbers from Sprint to ST took minutes on the web. It was about 45 minutes for me, mostly because I had never done it before and was told not to reboot the phone while the port was in progress. After 45 minutes I was kinda impatient and rebooted. Once I did the port was done. So when it came time to activate my wife's it took only about 15 minutes (With reboot).

Now the negatives:
ST customer service sucks. They are very friendly, just expect to be on hold for 20+ minutes just to get to talk to a human. I was kinda stupid and pin locked my SIM but did it the incorrect way and got my SIM PUK locked. Called ST... was on hold for 15 minutes then the system dropped me out. Called back. Hold for 20 minutes, lady told me I needed to call the BYOP number (Which was not listed on the FAQ for PUK locked error). During the transfer got hung up on, called back and another 20 minute wait. But once I spoke to this lady the problem was fixed immediately. So keep these in mind. There is no store to walk into if you are frustrated with phone hold times.

Very happy, would recommend ST if they have coverage in your area and you can live with slight lower speeds. To me the speed is blazing compared to our old Sprint service.

I'm sorry for the book of a post, but I hope this information helps someone. :)

ml3000

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Do you have HD Widgets installed? If so, it's causing random reboots which cause the APN settings to drop off. Only a power cycle seems to restore them.

I uninstalled HD Widgets and haven't had a problem since. The dev is aware of the issue but claims it's a problem (bug) with Android 4.2 and the new lock screen.

As for GV Integration, I haven't had any problems with it. It works great for me. I compose and receive texts with GoSMS Pro and they transmit and receive via my Google Voice number. No issues.

I dont have HD widgets installed at all... So its a little bizzare.... I have no idea what is causing it.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I dont have HD widgets installed at all... So its a little bizzare.... I have no idea what is causing it.

Then it is likely another app that has the same or similar issue as HD Widgets. For me, the incompatible app was HD Widgets.

Unfortunately, these things happen with every new OS update. It may take time, and is inconvenient, but I suggest you look through your installed apps and try to do a systematic process of elimination.

It can be hard to troubleshoot stuff like this from anecdotal evidence alone.

tjosato

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I came from VZW on a GNEX. When I got my N4 last week I put it on a ST TMO plan. So far so good. I am in a TMO 42+ area so my data speeds are similar to my VZW LTE device. It may be a little slower on upload but not by much. Below is a screencap of what I have been pulling the past few days.
Screenshot_2012-11-26-13-12-03.png
My only complaint is that the building penetration on TMO is not as good as on VZW. At home its fine but in some of the big box stores I have had calls drop, where on VZW they usually held on.

I have had to call ST customer service twice so far and been very happy with the results. Originally I planned to port my VZW number to Google Voice. I had ordered and activated a ST T-MO sim that was ordered online. Little did I know, GV will not port numbers in my area code (618). Dont know why there are limits on the area codes you can bring in to GV, but make sure you check with Google before making any porting decisions. So instead I had to call ST cust svc and port my VZW to ST. The problem was I had already activated and assigned a ST phone number to the sim I bought from ST online so I needed another sim. The ST cust svc rep asked if i lived near a Walmart, which I do. She told me that many Walmarts now stock the Bring Your own Phone kit. In the kit is 3 sim cards, 1 TMO, 1 AT&T regular sim, 1 AT&T micro sim. She said if I go pick it up they could port my VZW number on the new sim and cancel the other sim. Following her directions, I went and bought the kit, called customer service back and they had my number ported in less than 2 hours! Now I have the AT&T sims for ST if I decide that in the future I want to jump off TMO. A win-win in my book.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I have both an AT&T StraightTalk SIM and a T-Mobile SIM.
AT&T = 3-5 mb
T-Mobile = 18-20 mb
Im probably wrong here but isnt AT&T in most places HSDPA and TMO is HSDPA+. If so that would account for the data speeds differents..
THe older standard allowed for 6 megs down max, while the new standard can do 14/or 42 megs down depending on which backbone they have.. Again i could be wrong.
But damn, im on Sprint and the 3-5 megs would be awesome for me.. LOL

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have AT&T ST, here in twin cities, MN. The highest I have gotten is 2-3 megs down and 1 meg up. When the network is in use the signal shows as HSPA+15 and when not in use it shows HSPA+10. Not something to write home about, but then I have WIFI at home and at work and I am like 10 minutes away from work, so I don't really care right now.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

No roaming charges, because you don't roam. If you read the fine print of the prepaid plans, it's buried in there that you can't roam off TMobile service.
I know this for a fact, having just done a nice little road trip with lots of dead spots! :)

What the fine print actually says is, "Data: Domestic & international data roaming not available."

I did a live chat with TMO customer service and was told that call roaming does work, even on the $30/month plan. However, they do seem to have limited roaming partners/agreements and that may affect your results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anonymous Jones