August release date

iFortWorth

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Just got this email from Samsung. Notice the guarantee delivery date....
a5f95cede6733d876509f073a82f29fd.jpg

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
This is showing up in the shop samsung app...

Ha. Don't count on it. Even if you're the first in line to order it doesn't mean you will get on time. Many people ordered as early as possible from samsung.com and ended up getting it later due to it being out of stock and people who didn't order it on the first day of pre order got their phone on time.

Apparently they don't go on a first come first serve when pre ordering. Seems the unlocked model runs out first.

Some eventually just walked in on release day to best buy or the carrier and picked it up because they were still waiting on their order.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site

Cary Quinn

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Well, it means the agreement with the Carriers and Retail outlets for general availability will be for 8/24.
Which company will try to jump the gun first will depend on how hard Samsung cracks down on that behaviour from before.

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
I can't see Verizon beating the general, wide release by ten days this time. Five days before everyone else would be nice.

Cary Quinn

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Well, I'm on T-Mobile, so your "nice" may vary LOL. It would be nice to have an early release, but I am already planning on playing hooky from work on the 24th to wait for the UPS man.

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Well, I'm on T-Mobile, so your "nice" may vary LOL. It would be nice to have an early release, but I am already planning on playing hooky from work on the 24th to wait for the UPS man.

In December of 2004 I overnighted a Palm Treo 650, a big phone in its day, to my girlfriend up north after I'd just transferred to Atlanta, Georgia, with my employment. I notified her of the phone's impending arrival and she took the day off from work too. They did new releases a little differently back then.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
8/24 is Friday. I recall with the Note 8 there was standard free shipping or overnight for $14. $14 you were supposed to get it one day early and most didn't so they got the shipping refunded.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
8/24 is Friday. I recall with the Note 8 there was standard free shipping or overnight for $14. $14 you were supposed to get it one day early and most didn't so they got the shipping refunded.
Don't ever pay extra shipping on pre-orders. It's never worth it. With all of the phone shipments going out, yours will not get singled out to deliver earlier.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Don't ever pay extra shipping on pre-orders. It's never worth it. With all of the phone shipments going out, yours will not get singled out to deliver earlier.

Tmobile is overnight. However, I'm ordering via Samsung again. Since how Tmobile gave me a very hard time with the Note 7 refund you might recall I just order via samsung.com now. Besides, I'm getting unlocked this time since with Tmobile wifi calling works on it anyway.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Some eventually just walked in on release day to best buy or the carrier and picked it up because they were still waiting on their order.

I walked into a T-Mobile store last year on the Note 8's release day right when they opened and nobody was there to get one. I got the color I wanted. The T-Mo employee told me customers only cared about getting the iPhone X (he was right).

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I'm just going to go to a retail store and pick one up on release day. I received a Note 8 last year on release day with nobody else waiting in line for one at a T-Mobile retail store and I walked into a Best Buy two hours after it opened on the iPhone X release day and received a 256GB silver iPhone X with no problems.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm just going to go to a retail store and pick one up on release day. I received a Note 8 last year on release day with nobody else waiting in line for one at a T-Mobile retail store and I walked into a Best Buy two hours after it opened on the iPhone X release day and received a 256GB silver iPhone X with no problems.
The whole problem with that is taking the time (or time off work) to go into the store. Even with no wait, they take forever. On one phone, it took forever for the transaction AND the phone couldn't make calls once I left the store. I had to go right back in there. No thanks.

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site

I miss, somewhat, the interaction of going into the store and choosing a new device; I'm describing the process when I was a Sprint customer circa 2000-2004. Just wandering-in saw me picking up the Sanyo SCP-6200 (a slender titanium phone), Samsung's SPH-A500 (with detachable PCS Vision Camera!), a Sanyo SCP-5300 (my first dedicated camera phone) and a Sanyo SCP-5500 (record and send 15 second videos). The last, exciting device I bought from Sprint was the Palm Treo 650 in late-2004. The process of buying an exciting, new phone isn't the same present day as we now follow the gestation of new devices online and know everything there is to know before physically handling the actual thing.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I miss, somewhat, the interaction of going into the store and choosing a new device; I'm describing the process when I was a Sprint customer circa 2000-2004. Just wandering-in saw me picking up the Sanyo SCP-6200 (a slender titanium phone), Samsung's SPH-A500 (with detachable PCS Vision Camera!), a Sanyo SCP-5300 (my first dedicated camera phone) and a Sanyo SCP-5500 (record and send 15 second videos). The last, exciting device I bought from Sprint was the Palm Treo 650 in late-2004. The process of buying an exciting, new phone isn't the same present day as we now follow the gestation of new devices online and know everything there is to know before physically handling the actual thing.
I had Sprint during that same time period. What I don't miss is new customers getting a better price than Sprint's existing customers and knowing more about the phones and their policies than they did.
If I can ever avoid going into a store, I do, whenever possible.

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
I had Sprint during that same time period. What I don't miss is new customers getting a better price than Sprint's existing customers and knowing more about the phones and their policies than they did.
If I can ever avoid going into a store, I do, whenever possible.

I best remember that last transaction of mine after I'd transferred with my employment to Atlanta, GA. The store manager, still recall his name, fitted me out with a pair of spare batteries and leather cases for the Treos since I'd bought two of these new phones. It was my first time in this particular store and there was considerable buzz over the new Treo but I'd, by chance, gotten there first. I still have the 15 second video which I'd sent to my girlfriend up north which describes and features the Treo and this was recorded on the Sanyo SCP-5500 I'd mentioned (it's rudimentary but clear; I just watched it). My girlfriend was excited waiting for her new phone I'd overnighted to her. The same 'texture' surrounding the release of new devices now isn't there, for me at least, because my expectations have been molded over months of following the thing online.

Last edited: