Battery life not lasting? Your fix is in here

Fahrenheit

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
After a little over a week my Battery life is great. I quit using FB for HTC Sense, I use the power management widget, I have Advanced Task Killer by ReChild from the market place, I have Call Confirm from the marketplace, I have my gmail and weather auto sync, but nothing else. My phone has been off the charger 14.5 hours with moderate use (moderate for me. I use about 2,000 minutes per month) and I still have half my battery life. When I first got the phone my battery was dead after 5-7 hours of very low use.

I second Advanced Task Killer. I was getting max 10-12 hours of battery life a day for the first 2 weeks of having the phone. I had ATK installed but wasn't auto-killing any apps. I enabled the autokill function every hour, and I'm getting 1.5 days out of each charge.

kmully

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Need some help. I disabled the "Enable Always-On" as mentioned at the beginning of the thread.

Last night I charged to 100%, used it for a couple of minutes before going to bed, and it quickly dropped to 90%. I was kind of surprised, but shrugged it off.

I put the phone on the nightstand, and when I woke up 8 hours later, it was dead. Battery at 0%.

I am baffled at how that could happen. Is this a complete battery failure? Should I go back to Verizon? Should I get one of the auto task killers?

Help :(

kmully

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
go back and see what was running in the battery settings and report back

Since it completely cut off, wouldn't that wipe that data?

I've got it plugged in and charging right now. I would have tried to reach that screen, but the phone kept shutting down as soon as I turned it on. So I started to charge it.

howarmat

Trusted Member
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
i guess that depends on if you had any battery apps installed. Most all have a history that shows

lifetime, unplugged and since last boot...but if you dont have any battery app at all i guess you are out of luck there.

but after this charge just watch the usage today and see if its happening again

cmckinstry

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I have to say that I think that the battery widgets are not helpful at least not at this point. I used them for a while and was stressing about how fast battery life would go down and decided to get rid of it and just use the phone normally without checking the battery percentage all the time. It seems as though my battery life is fine and makes it through the day with my regular use, checking e-mail, twitter, facebook, some web-surfing mixed with calls and text messages. Maybe its just me but I don't see the point in stressing about it. If it gets me through the day i don't need to know what my battery percentage is all the time. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
i think the issue is that for some people it is not getting them through the day with very similar usage patterns to what you have.

we then need a way to monitor the battery to see where problems may lie.

XXXdc5

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know when that big extended battery from Verizon is coming out? I know there's one by seido already for sale but the one from Verizon is bigger haha

GooTz66

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know when that big extended battery from Verizon is coming out? I know there's one by seido already for sale but the one from Verizon is bigger haha

Seidio actually has 2. The 1750mAh extended slim which is already available and the 3500mAh extended which is listed as "coming soon" The one from VZW I believe will be 2100 mAh. Have you tried the charging tips listed in this thread a few pages back? It has really helped my battery life.

- Charge till led is lit green
- then power off your device and plug charger back in
-led should be red again let charge until it is green again and repeat above until red led only lasts 1 min before turning green

Are cheap generic batteries often found on ebay bad for phones?

I would stay away from those. Go with Seidio or stick with OEM or licensed by your carrier

XXXdc5

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Seidio actually has 2. The 1750mAh extended slim which is already available and the 3500mAh extended which is listed as "coming soon" The one from VZW I believe will be 2100 mAh. Have you tried the charging tips listed in this thread a few pages back? It has really helped my battery life.

- Charge till led is lit green
- then power off your device and plug charger back in
-led should be red again let charge until it is green again and repeat above until red led only lasts 1 min before turning green
I tried the trick specified by op but have not tried the "battery rain dance" as I've heard it called lol. Frankly it just seems annoying and I don't want to do that every single day. I'm sure the charge issue along with other battery allocation issues will be fixed in an update soon so i'll be patient until then. I just asked about the battery because I know that I use my phone pretty aggressively at times and I want to be sure it can keep up you know? Combination of a solid OS update and extended battery should suffice for me. Any idea when that bigger seido is coming out?

I'm pretty patient with these issues. Afterall, this is a 1st gen phone in a fairly newer OS 1 week after launch. Bugs will be fixed :)

GooTz66

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I tried the trick specified by op but have not tried the "battery rain dance" as I've heard it called lol. Frankly it just seems annoying and I don't want to do that every single day. I'm sure the charge issue along with other battery allocation issues will be fixed in an update soon so i'll be patient until then. I just asked about the battery because I know that I use my phone pretty aggressively at times and I want to be sure it can keep up you know? Combination of a solid OS update and extended battery should suffice for me. Any idea when that bigger seido is coming out?

I'm pretty patient with these issues. Afterall, this is a 1st gen phone in a fairly newer OS 1 week after launch. Bugs will be fixed :)

I hear ya! I have been doing it for a few days now and it can be tedious especially if you just want to pull off the charger an go but hopefully it is just an OS issue and gets ironed out and fixed in an update.

I havent heard anything as to when the 3500mAh Seidio battery will be released. I usually check there website every few days to see what has been updated and it still says coming soon. I want to know how big it is physically and how much it really adds on to the device. Coming from a BB Storm this thing is a sliver.

jared916

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
i found a oem battery for $18 on ebay that im gunna buy.now im looking for a seperate battery charger….are the cheap ones from china ok? or should i buy a seidio one?

chomsky1

Banned
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
A user on another forum (props to him, though I can't find the original post) noticed that the higher-capacity battery for the HTC TouchPro 2 is the same battery and can seamlessly work w/the Incredible. OEM is 1500 mAh, but I found an aftermarket 1600 mAh batt for that phone and have ordered it...only $20 with shipping. I'll post on the results when it arrives in a few days. $20 less than the Seidio and only slightly less juice...

chomsky1

Banned
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
A user on another forum (props to him, though I can't find the original post) noticed that the higher-capacity battery for the HTC TouchPro 2 is the same battery and can seamlessly work w/the Incredible. OEM is 1500 mAh, but I found an aftermarket 1600 mAh batt for that phone and have ordered it...only $20 with shipping. I'll post on the results when it arrives in a few days. $20 less than the Seidio and only slightly less juice...

Here's the link if anyone else wants to give it a shot, with the usual caveat that any aftermarket items could, however unlikely, damage your phone.

1600mAh Li-ion Extended Battery for HTC Touch Pro 2

novacellx

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I did a performance test to satiate my own curiosity. I disabled 3G and enabled Wi-Fi. I wanted to see how long Pandora could stream before reaching critical. At my home, I average -93 dBm for my most optimal location, regardless of 3G on/off. Pandora is set to High Quality. The phone was idle for ~90 minutes before beginning.

Here are my results:

13:37:42 Up Time
12:05:23 Awake Time

31% Cell Standby
26% Phone Idle
24% Wi-Fi
10% Mediaserver
07% Android System
02% Display

I estimate that Pandora used 80% of the battery with ~8% for boot, configuration and short periods for monitoring. My final check occurred at 13%, quit Pandora, checked the battery life stats (going down to 12%) and then turned it off.

I am beginning to believe that 3G is one hungry beast.

(Update - Same test, using 3G)

Last edited:

Clymmer#AC

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Shockingly surprised: ATK impact

I've been reading these forums for a while leading up to & since migrating to the incredible on opening day. My battery life has been marginal at best as I've tried the various suggestions in this thread and others on how to improve battery life. I've gotten through a full workday without a supplemental charge but I limited my "normal" use to make it. I'm almost always near a computer, so access to power isn't normally a problem (IF I remember my micro usb cord...).

On this past Tuesday, I was in a centeral room of the hospital where I work, which is place I get zero Verizon signal. I was there the entire day relying WiFi to stay connected. I HAD to charge in the afternoon to make it through the workday with enough of a charge so I could cycle home & be able to use CardioTrainer to track that ride home.

Yesterday morning, I installed Advanced Task Killer just to see what sort of impact it would have as I was in that same room again, all day. The impact was unbelievable. Where I would've had only 30'ish percent battery life previously, I had 85 percent left. My battery didn't drop lower than 70 percent until just before I left for home 10 hours after I took my Inc off the charger when I left for work that morning. I haven't even charged it yet & I still have 30 percent left.

I've read the warning threads & articles that said to let Android manage the apps & services itself & how task killers aren't helpful or even make battery life worse...

...I'll just say that wasn't my experience. For me, ATK more than tripled my battery life. I've got a lot of apps loaded...and running, apparently...so ATK has helped me manage the processes that have been devouring my battery. I had ATK ignore several apps so that I still received emails/google voice and other alerts & messages. I'll need to try & figure out what app or apps are the power hungry offenders. But for now, I'll say it's great to see my Inc finally last as long as it should.

Last edited:

Clymmer#AC

May 12, 2010
Visit site
My battery didn't drop lower than 70 percent until just before I left for home 10 hours after I took my Inc off the charger when I left for work that morning.

I double checked my Battery Graph and it's showing that I took my phone off my car charger at 8:49am with a 100% charge and it didn't drop below 70% until 8pm and I hit 50% at 10pm. :D

I don't want to sound like an ATK commercial...but I guess I'll have to fail at that. ;)