Battery Tip for Dead Zone Users

camanokid

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Users in dead zones - no cell available.

The phone may keep searching hard for a cell connection...burning up CPU & battery.
I am in a dead zone at my house.
Here is how I set the phone for Wi-Fi only - no cell, no data.
1. Turn on airplane mode...disables all connections.
2. Turn on Wi-Fi connection.
You will have Wi-Fi only...phone will not seek a cell connection...saves battery!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Mobile data is a battery hog. If you have limited service then you should see an improvement with just mobile data disabled. This way you can still receive calls and text.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's true, but there are also areas where there's no voice service, either. In the hospital where I work, the reception used to be horrendous, for both voice and data. I'd find my phone was chewing through battery at about a 50% faster rate. Thank God they finally installed a bunch of booster antennae.

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Users in dead zones - no cell available.

The phone may keep searching hard for a cell connection...burning up CPU & battery.
I am in a dead zone at my house.
Here is how I set the phone for Wi-Fi only - no cell, no data.
1. Turn on airplane mode...disables all connections.
2. Turn on Wi-Fi connection.
You will have Wi-Fi only...phone will not seek a cell connection...saves battery!

Yea that's how I do it at work as their isn't really any service at all. And I only go through maybe 5% in a 8 hr day, works well

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

grenefroggie

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
You could also try forcing the phone in to HSPA mode, which seems to have better QoS to keep you connected more consistently. LTE is, as mentioned previously, a battery hog. In no-service areas, like the corn fields in Indiana, see if you can drop it down to GPRS, which will pass voice only.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
It might also be worth it to try out another provider (the beauty of an unlocked phone). Pick up a $45 for one month plan at walmart and see if you get better coverage.

grenefroggie

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
It might also be worth it to try out another provider (the beauty of an unlocked phone). Pick up a $45 for one month plan at walmart and see if you get better coverage.

That is an option. Do your research first. Most mobile service providers like WalMart, StraightTalk or NET10 are usually MVNOs operating on one of the four major networks in the US.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiconnolly