Best screen protector?

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I am very disappointed with my boxwave. The cut is too perfect. There is no margin for error. I am unable to get air out from the top corners and side. I have repositioned this thing 10 times! I have it perfectly dead center, but still can not get the air bubbles off the edges.

Too perfect? Mine is the exact size of the screen. No problems with air bubbles at all. Do you have one of the EVO's with the lifting screen problem? That's the only reason I could think you have a problem? If it is too big, call boxwave, they have great customer service.

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok sorry if someone asked this before but is there a screen protector with a good cut for the screen that doesn't require water to install

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Ok sorry if someone asked this before but is there a screen protector with a good cut for the screen that doesn't require water to install

Yes, Boxwave. I have used them on my past 3 phones, current ipod, camera, and a few other gadgets. I swear by them.

rldev

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Too perfect? Mine is the exact size of the screen. No problems with air bubbles at all. Do you have one of the EVO's with the lifting screen problem? That's the only reason I could think you have a problem? If it is too big, call boxwave, they have great customer service.

I do not have a lifting screen. But the phone does have an ever slight ridge around it. I can't get the air out at the corners.

TheMobileWorx

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I just do not think these phones need a screen protector... I have not seen ONE complaint yet of a scratched screen yet like with some older phones back in the day. ahem palm

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
I just do not think these phones need a screen protector... I have not seen ONE complaint yet of a scratched screen yet like with some older phones back in the day. ahem palm

The screen protector debate has been discussed at length in this thread:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g/20718-why-people-buying-screen-protector.html

Several people have reported scratches in their screens, and I personally have a couple tiny scratches in mine so I now have a screen protector.

The screen is scratch resistant, but far from scratch proof. There have been several videos of people running metal objects (keys, razor blades, etc) across the screen with no damage, but the screen is harder than those items, so they don't scratch the screen even though they are sharp. All it takes is a tiny piece of material that is harder than the screen (like a grain of sand) to make a scratch.

As far as what screen saver to recommend, I am using Seidio's Ultimate Screen Guard. It is easy to install, needs no liquid, and feels just as smooth as the bare screen with no "orange peel" effect.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The screen protector debate has been discussed at length in this thread:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g/20718-why-people-buying-screen-protector.html

Several people have reported scratches in their screens, and I personally have a couple tiny scratches in mine so I now have a screen protector.

The screen is scratch resistant, but far from scratch proof. There have been several videos of people running metal objects (keys, razor blades, etc) across the screen with no damage, but the screen is harder than those items, so they don't scratch the screen even though they are sharp. All it takes is a tiny piece of material that is harder than the screen (like a grain of sand) to make a scratch.

As far as what screen saver to recommend, I am using Seidio's Ultimate Screen Guard. It is easy to install, needs no liquid, and feels just as smooth as the bare screen with no "orange peel" effect.

+1 to Seidio Ultimate Screen Guard. You can't even tell it's there. Literally. No one that has used my phone can tell I have a screen protector on.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have used two different screen protectors on my EVO.... The Zagg and the Steinheil Ultra Crystal... I also used a Skinomi Screen protector on my Nexus One (Had the Zagg on my iPhone) Finally two weeks ago I went naked on the screen. I don't use a case for my phone either.. I have the full body Zagg on the back and sides of the phone but nothing on the screen.... I keep the phone in my jean pockets 90% of the time and rest the phone on the back any way and so far no scratches.... I am sure sooner or later it's going to get some small marks here and there I just like the feel better.

PERSONALLY using Swype as my Keyboard I loved the Steinheil screen protector but it was a real BIOTCH to put on perfectly... They send you two protectors for $14 and you don't need water to install. The Zagg has a rubbery feel to it (which didn't bother me much) Both Steinheil protectors I was able to basically get them 99.9% on but one corner the first time and two corners on the second one wouldn't stick all the way (Installer error trying to get it on right) and it just didn't look right.

With my iPhone, Nexus One AND my EVO all 3 had a Zagg screen protector at one time. With each one I always ended up with ONE.... ONE freaking piece of lint some where under the protector... Even installing in the bathroom with the shower running to reduce lint/dust I would get a piece under there... and even though it was never a big deal or even some thing other people noticed it bothered me and I would pick at it...

I was nervous at first going naked on the screen but now after 2 weeks it's great.. Much cleaner look and better over all feel....

alwayspalm

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Smart Phone Experts Protector

Anyone try the Smart Phone Experts SP sold in the AC store? It looks pretty good and has cut outs for the camera but no-one even mentioned it in this thread.

bassmanxu

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I installed Boxwave last week. Very good so far, but this is my first protector so not much frame of reference. No change in touch response.

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Seidio Innocase Rugged Combo for me and I love it. The screen protector is smooth and my finger glides across the surface, it isn't tacky like some of the others I have used that caused my finger to stick and not slide smoothly. And as far as the rest of the case combo I work construction and have a big problem with dust and dirt, not a good combo for the EVO. The rugged combo has the Innocase II and a black rubber cover that goes over it that protects all of the ports on the phone but are still accessible if need be. On the weekends I pull off the protective rubber and keep the slim innocase II on and slip the phone into my pocket. Come Monday I put the extra layer of protection on and slap it into the provided swivel holster. For me this is a awesome combo. It is expensive but so is the phone soooooo

http://store.androidcentral.com/seidio-innocase-rugged-holster-combo/4A123A7062.htm

Last edited:

schultepk

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Just installed my phantom skinz, a little tricky but got it none the less. I taped my fingers to eliminate fingerprints on the underside. However, I have two small streaks on my screen, with my bse for blackberry, these never went away!

We can only hope this is different!

Zumi

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Installed a Steinheil Crystal Clear - works beautifully. I was expecting the feel of it to be weird, but it actually is really smooth. I'm tempted to try the anti-fingerprint ones though.

Validone

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Ghost Armor- just the front cover. Peace of mind!! Looks good wife couldn't tell that anything was on it! Happy that I got something on it. I had the Invisible Shield on my instinct. Like the Ghost Armor smoothness better.. on the EVO

zanthor

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I had an invisible shield a few years back on my HTC 6800 and it felt "sticky"... I just put on the Zaggskin and Invisible Shield Monday of this week and the phone doesn't feel rubbery at all, very easy install and the few bubbles I had have worked their way out already.

rizorith

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I tried the boxwave. The only other screen protector I've tried is the one that sprint sells, which is junk. The boxwave is very slightly tacky, but very very similar in feel to the glass screen. I swear it actually attracts less dust/grease too.

The installation was easy although if you do get dust underneath it is almost impossible to clean. I know they say you can wash it and start over but I had an extra and just used that (saved the dirty one for when/if I need a new one). Every time I tried to clean the dust during installation I made it worse. Also, do NOT use canned air like they suggest. It just blew dust all over the place.

Anyways, overall I like it.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I tried the boxwave. The only other screen protector I've tried is the one that sprint sells, which is junk. The boxwave is very slightly tacky, but very very similar in feel to the glass screen. I swear it actually attracts less dust/grease too.

The installation was easy although if you do get dust underneath it is almost impossible to clean. I know they say you can wash it and start over but I had an extra and just used that (saved the dirty one for when/if I need a new one). Every time I tried to clean the dust during installation I made it worse. Also, do NOT use canned air like they suggest. It just blew dust all over the place.

Anyways, overall I like it.

I think you are the first person I have ever heard say the Boxwave is "slightly tacky". I have never found a person that can even tell that it is one. Are you sure you didn't put it on backwards?

If you get any dust stuck under the Boxwave, there is a simple fix. Wrap a piece of scotch tape around your finger and pull the protector up. Use the tape to pull off any dust, and put the protector back down.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felisovci