Beware Samsung Trade Ins

pmalena

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
That's what I was told by both the Samsung Customer Service rep AND the supervisor. Perhaps something new?!
Samsung chat reps (and supervisors) are notoriously uninformed. Rather than taking their word for something, always ask them how they know and where you can find that information online. If they can't provide a source, don't believe what they said.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Just for fun, this is from the FAQ at Samsungs site regarding trade-ins.

(Updated August of 2022)

add the https: to the address below...
//www.samsung.com/us/trade-in/frequently-asked-questions/

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230308_215242_Samsung%20Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230308_215242_Samsung%20Internet.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 76

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site

smoke skull

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I sent a note 20 ultra and a note 10 plus. Both phones wrre mint except the note 20 had the camera focus bug.. I am in Canada and they had my phones for 2 weeks and the note 20 passed with flying colors but they reduced the note 10 from $160 to $60. I immediately contacted Samsung and they are investigating.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I sent a note 20 ultra and a note 10 plus. Both phones wrre mint except the note 20 had the camera focus bug.. I am in Canada and they had my phones for 2 weeks and the note 20 passed with flying colors but they reduced the note 10 from $160 to $60. I immediately contacted Samsung and they are investigating.
Good luck.

May 28, 2023
Visit site
Wow. I just had another bad Samsung tradein experience and unfortunately it tops the one that I detailed about in a previous post. I'm the forum member that detailed my bad Samsung tradein experience last year when I traded in my wife's s20 ultra for an s22 ultra and got the dreaded empty box message with a notice about a $600 charge back. The only way I was able to fight it was to file an official complaint with the BBB. After my complaint last year Samsung eventually relented and cancelled my charge back.
Well it turns out I also did a tradein last year in late June of 2022. I wanted to upgrade my wife's galaxy tablet so I traded in a surface pro 6 for a tab s8 plus. I remember at the time that I received a notice that samsung received my surface device tradein and I would get a status update regarding my tradein results within 5 to 7 business days. I remember at the time after a few weeks I didn't hear anything else from Samsung so I just figured the tradein must have been accepted and they had forgotten to notify me about the results since I didn't get a message about a charge back. As a result I just moved on and forgot about it. Well lo and behold I just got a message today, unprompted and out of the blue I might add, from Samsung tradein that my surface pro 6 did not meet the qualifications for the tradein and I would now be charged $300 for the tradein. At first I thought it was a joke or a fake phishing email. Even worse the charge back message had a couple of poorly taken pictures that I'm assuming we're supposed to show why my my device wasn't accepted. Turns out the pictures that were sent attached to this email were not of my surface device. After calming myself down I called Samsung and yes the email about the charge back was legitimate. I calmly explained to the representative that it made absolutely zero sense and appeared extremely shady to send me a charge back email about recently rejecting a device that they received 12 months ago. I explained that so much time had passed I would have no recourse in terms of protesting the charge back. I wanted to know why in the world wasn't I told about any potential issues with my tradein within 5 to 7 business days as the detail in the tradein email originally stated. After explaining to the representative that I still had video evidence showing I did in fact trade in a surface pro 6 as well as showing my original email that my trade in was received by Samsung in June of 2022 the representative sent me an email that the charge back would be cancelled. I just can't believe their tradein department tried something like this. I suspect that a lot of Samsung tradein issues are due to extreme incompetence or just outright greed in trying to steal from consumers. Absolutely unbelievable.

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I suspect that a lot of Samsung tradein issues are due to extreme incompetence or just outright greed in trying to steal from consumers. Absolutely unbelievable.

I suspect that these issues are because 90% of the time the consumer does not challenge Samsung's "trade-in device did not meet our criteria" or "your trade-in package was empty" reasons for denying trade-in credit. Because most Samsung customers just accept their "Samsung's disastrous fate," Samsung makes out like a bandit. These issues happen so frequently that I have a hard time believing it is due to incompetence but most likely that it is by Samsung's intention.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I suspect that these issues are because 90% of the time the consumer does not challenge Samsung's "trade-in device did not meet our criteria" or "your trade-in package was empty" reasons for denying trade-in credit. Because most Samsung customers just accept their "Samsung's disastrous fate," Samsung makes out like a bandit. These issues happen so frequently that I have a hard time believing it is due to incompetence but most likely that it is by Samsung's intention.

I agree. Samsung has been going down hill lately. There's too many horror stories of these same issues over and over and that doesn't include the ones that just accept it

vim147

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I got my S23+ about 2 months ago from Samsung UK as a trade-in when I placed an order over the phone.
I have an old S6 to trade-in :) that Samsung said gets me £100 off S23+ RRP.

When I got my S23+ delivered, there was a printed note inside from a 3rd party that deals with the trade-ins. When I put the serial number of the S6 on the 3rd party site it said they'd offer me £0.01 for the S6.

So far Samsung hasn't asked for the S6 nor have they charged the full price of the S23+.

Reactions: J Dubbs

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Hope that's not case here, but there have been analogous issues with insurance companies who were, shall we say, unduly aggressive in denying claims, from personal injury to property, resulting in massive lawsuits.

rapide

May 31, 2023
Visit site
Was a little apprehensive when I got a Texas return label for my Z Fold 3. The inside screen protector was beginning to fail for the second time in about 2 years. Five business days after they received my phone I was notified that it was accepted for full credit. I'm glad to get rid of the Z Fold 3. Samsung has a way to go before the foldable phone is robust enough to handle daily life.