Big price increase for Note 9?

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
If this thing hits $1000 mark before taxes like the article states, I'm most likely going for an S9 Plus which will be discounted or have nice freebies like the chrome book and micro SD card. IF there is a 512gb 8gb ram version in North America the price will be even more overboard. I'd buy the Mate 10 Porsche Design edition if I wanted to spend that type of cash.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...cost-release-date-galaxy-s10-s9/#ea9ed4456205

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Ain't Forbes a click and bait or the site that makes up stuff? Can't remember if it was them or another site. I only believe what the final announcement of the phone says and what Verizon says at preorder anyways. Meaning August 9th 2018.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Some versions will undoubtedly hit more than $1000 because as far as the announcements and rumors go, the available versions are 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. Some sites like Forbes and BGR just try to rile people up with very little facts.
I'm not sure I understand the $1000 threshold with people buying the phones outright. If you have the cash to buy them outright, what's another $60 if it's going to give you the RAM and storage everyone's been clamoring for?
Since I lease, the cost is more prohibitive for me. I'm not putting $220-250 down to lease.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Agreed. Some sites like Forbes and BGR just try to rile people up with very little facts.
I'm not sure I understand the $1000 threshold with people buying the phones outright. If you have the cash to buy them outright, what's another $60 if it's going to give you the RAM and storage everyone's been clamoring for?
Since I lease, the cost is more prohibitive for me. I'm not putting $220-250 down to lease.

Yes, but that 60 increase will turn into another 60 dollar increase the following year. Prices will just keep going up and up.

Computers over the years went down in price. Phones seem to be going up.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes, but that 60 increase will turn into another 60 dollar increase the following year. Prices will just keep going up and up.

That was the same point I made a long time ago, probably in the Note8 hype threads. It's makes no sense to me either why prices don't level out.
With that logic, though, you won't be buying any more new Samsung phones. I know you mentioned other brand phones in previous posts. But, they are not widely supported in the US.
I think that if they continue to raise prices and gouge the customer, people will just go back to the 2 year upgrade cycle. It's that simple. They're making record profits. Yet, still complaining about sales being down. Of course sales are down. Stop charging so much.

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site

That's life! When I got my first real paycheck my yearly salary was enough for a brand spanking new Toyota 4 wheel drive. 40yrs later my salary will buy me .....a brand spanking new Toyota 4 wheel drive! I just wish the fuel STILL cost the same! I don't necessarily agree that computer prices have gone down over the years....there are many more lower priced items now but the big names have gone up steadily but then again so have their specs....

Cary Quinn

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
"Computers over the years went down in price. Phones seem to be going up."

Low end computers went down in price because compontent and manufacturing costs level out after a certain point.
High end, Business class, and "Premium" (Gaming or Multimedia) computers are just as expensive as they always were.
The same applies to High end phones versus mid range or older releases.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately in an effort to make the phone better every year manufacturing costs go up, I'm sick of rising phone prices but I don't think it will stop.

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunately in an effort to make the phone better every year manufacturing costs go up, I'm sick of rising phone prices but I don't think it will stop.
Profits go up every year too - that's the game. Wish I'd bought apple/Samsung shares 20yrs ago!

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
"Computers over the years went down in price. Phones seem to be going up."

Low end computers went down in price because compontent and manufacturing costs level out after a certain point.
High end, Business class, and "Premium" (Gaming or Multimedia) computers are just as expensive as they always were.
The same applies to High end phones versus mid range or older releases.

You just made the point. "computers are just as expensive as they always were". They are not MORE expensive. Everything is tiered with PC component pricing. A CPU today for mainstream is generally $150-200. Hard drives with decent storage can still be had for under $100. Mainstream motherboards can still be had for $70-150. Most of these prices have not changed in 20 years. Yet, phone prices continue to rise.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
The thing about phones with $1000.00ish prices that bothers me is sealed batteries. It sort of like built-in obsolescence. The batteries will degrade over time and then the usefulness of your premium priced phone.

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
The thing about phones with $1000.00ish prices that bothers me is sealed batteries. It sort of like built-in obsolescence. The batteries will degrade over time and then the usefulness of your premium priced phone.

As the experiment goes we'll be on the front lines in determining whether it succeeds or falls flat. Many are still upgrading annually/biannually and trading/selling their one year-old former heartthrob so the concern for them is minimal.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
You just made the point. "computers are just as expensive as they always were". They are not MORE expensive. Everything is tiered with PC component pricing. A CPU today for mainstream is generally $150-200. Hard drives with decent storage can still be had for under $100. Mainstream motherboards can still be had for $70-150. Most of these prices have not changed in 20 years. Yet, phone prices continue to rise.

Yes you can get a laptop for $150-$200 (Walmart) and it won't be able to update to the new windows 10 security patch (4gb ram). Or find one for $500 with 1 terabyte of storage (12gb ram). Or a $1,000 laptop that will perform with major games.

Same with phones. The $100 range of phones, like the Cricket Samsung Amp Prime 3 with 16 GB internal storage and microSD slot for up to 400 GB card. Or spend $500 on a better phone. Or more for a Note or S series.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
The reality is, most people don't keep their phones long enough for the battery to degrade. Samsung said last year that their batteries maintain like 97% (or something in that range) of their battery after 2 or 3 years as opposed to like 80% on older phones. Battery tech is still improving. I don't even think about this.
Even if you have a good specced phone after a couple of years, it becomes kind of useless because of the lack of updates. Who wants a phone running Marshmallow today? I have one for work and it's awful.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmax36884