Sales for Note 9 less than expected

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps peer pressure is a concept easier to understand. If one's family or friends all use iPhones you must or be "left out" of things like. iCloud and imessage. If one's friends or family all use Android phones you can communicate with them fine with ANY smart phone. The iPhone is "cool". No other phone is. Perhaps the new Samsung X will be. IMO the Note line never has been although trying to make it a gaming phone rather than the business phone I loved may have been a weak attempt at making it "cool". The young determine and set these trends.

Still disagree. Plenty think the Note is "cool" or a "status symbol" and I have seen it first hand.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I think the reason more people still prefer iPhone is the ecosystem more than it being a status symbol.

Ah to stop you right there. I never said it was or wasn't considered by some to be the coolest by the "majority" -- All I said is some do choose the Note for a status symbol for the same reasons people choose iPhones. I was simply commenting that some seem to think it is "iPhone only" which isn't the case at all -- with any items in life.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I think a lot of people like me are waking up realizing that we are too broke to keep buying a phone every year and decide to stick with what they got.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
With all the sales going on I'm torn on if I should upgrade from the note 8 to the note 9 now, or if it would make more since to wait for the note 10, considering I really think I'm gonna want the note 10 with the new design of the s10.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
There's no Moores law when it comes to 'phones'. The pda, combined with the portable phone, then the net. As in so many past products, minor changes from now on, and those will be to increase mfr profit. The Note 9, S9+, Note 8, all incremental changes and little difference. I had my old att phone growing up that lasted 20 years, and I think the market is going back that way. When I get the folding Samsung s10, it won't be because I plan on getting rid of it in a year. All the form factors have been modeled, not much left to do. Have a good humpday!

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
There's no Moores law when it comes to 'phones'. The pda, combined with the portable phone, then the net. As in so many past products, minor changes from now on, and those will be to increase mfr profit. The Note 9, S9+, Note 8, all incremental changes and little difference. I had my old att phone growing up that lasted 20 years, and I think the market is going back that way. When I get the folding Samsung s10, it won't be because I plan on getting rid of it in a year. All the form factors have been modeled, not much left to do. Have a good humpday!
I'm starting to feel the same. I know I will want the note 10 or the foldable phone, which I hope will come with an s pen and a massive battery! But that's because of the new form factors (all screen note or foldable phone/tablet). Phones don't have much more to offer at this time with annual iterations. Even more so with iPhones, I always tell ppl the best iPhone is a 2yr old one because it's basically the same experience. I've kept the note 8 as my main phone for 15 months so far which is longer than I've kept any other phone as my main since the note 2 which I kept for approximately 27 months lol. Every other phone I've had I only kept as my main phone around 12-13 months. The only reason I've considered the note 9 is because the deals are so good right now! Even for the 512gb version. I will probably hold off and wait for the note 10 or foldable phone though.

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I think the same thing can be said about any phone being sold today. Most people simply don't feel the need to upgrade their phone every year because the changes made these days are so small.

I couldn't agree with you more. This is one of the reasons (other than getting my Pixel 2 in April) why I didn't buy a Pixel 3. Only incremental improvements, IMO.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Got myself a Note 9 now that it was available in black and 40% off.

I wasn't paying $1,000 for a blue phone with a nasty yellow pen.

caveman84

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I think the Note 9 is a great phone for those moving from a two to three year old phone. However, most android users are not like Apple users... aside from forums like this one, android folks are not status seekers like Apple fan folks. Spending $1000 to 1300 on an android device is not something easily done for android folks, status wise of course... but for Apple folks, they are usually status seekers and they'll spend the bucks good. If you're an android person, the Note 8 and 9 are great phones. For folks like me with the 8, there's absolutely no reason to move to the 9. The 9 is an expensive phone for the average android user.

Dont put all apple users into one box and put a label on them. Yes there are alot of people why buy iphones as a status symbol but there is even larger group who buys iphones for their dead simplicity and reliability. Trust me on this. Also, the young people were brought in to the conversation by someone else and said that they like iphone for or that. Younger people use snapchat, insta and facebook alot and iphone is where those apps shine. Even MKBHD on Joe Rogans podcast admitted this.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't agree with you more. This is one of the reasons (other than getting my Pixel 2 in April) why I didn't buy a Pixel 3. Only incremental improvements, IMO.
Add Camera 3 and there goes one of the biggest increments. If you have a 2, when you look at a 3 there's nothing there except expense.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I agree, love my Blue Note 9 and yellow pen ??????

Agreed... went to take advantage of the Samsung $600.00 Off TV Ad and ordered mine on November 2nd, the day before the offer ended. Was going to order the Blue one but when I got to the order page and selected AT&T, 512GB, they had Black - so I grabbed a black one. Happy with that... it's nice! Really don't like what I've just read going through this entire thread - hate to see this Series go away after having a Note 4, 5, 7 and 8 before my new 9 - the whole idea sux! Hopefully, we're all wrong!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Agreed... went to take advantage of the Samsung $600.00 Off TV Ad and ordered mine on November 2nd, the day before the offer ended. Was going to order the Blue one but when I got to the order page and selected AT&T, 512GB, they had Black - so I grabbed a black one. Happy with that... it's nice! Really don't like what I've just read going through this entire thread - hate to see the possibility of this Series go away after having a Note 4, 5, 7 and 8 before my new 9 - the whole idea sux! Hopefully, we're all wrong!

Yeah definitely don't want see note series finished...I'm coming from note-2/3/4 to the 9 dont have the 3 anymore but sales is down for all the high end phones .

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I would like to see the line continue and see what they will bring out. But I'll say, for me, if future phones are any bigger than the the current Note 8/9 dimensions, I won't buy.

Yeah definitely don't want see note series finished...I'm coming from note-2/3/4 to the 9 dont have the 3 anymore but sales is down for all the high end phones .

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I would like to see the line continue and see what they will bring out. But I'll say, for me, if future phones are any bigger than the the current Note 8/9 dimensions, I won't buy.

Yeah I can't go any bigger then what note 9 is , it's big enough otherwise get a tablet with service .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d