Sales for Note 9 less than expected

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
The iPhone IS a status symbol. The Note9 isn't immediately recognized by folks ooing and ahing like they do for the newest iPhone in the newest color.

I'm not commenting about it being a better phone or a worse phone but to the general public there can be no doubt it is a cooler phone. Keep in mind all the general public care about is their imessage, facebook & social apps, games, phone calls and emails.

Actual status symbols tend to not be as prevalent as the iPhone.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Actual status symbols tend to not be as prevalent as the iPhone.

Not necessarily, that's not how status works. In the car world, status cars are separated by cost. Many people cannot afford a BMW or Mercedes. Many people cannot afford a Rolex or Omega watch.

But in the phone world, even an average person can aspire to an iPhone. That doesn't diminish its status symbol.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Not necessarily, that's not how status works. In the car world, status cars are separated by cost. Many people cannot afford a BMW or Mercedes. Many people cannot afford a Rolex or Omega watch.

But in the phone world, even an average person can aspire to an iPhone. That doesn't diminish its status symbol.

Except you have provided nothing to back this up. In fact, your first two examples demonstrate the linkage of status and cost/accessibility . Then for the second part of your post, all you say is that average people can purchase as phone and that doesn't mean it's not a status symbol. No argument to why it actually is a status symbol.

For reference: Webster's definition of status symbol: something (such as an expensive car) that a person owns and that shows wealth or a high social status.

Edit: I just recalled I think I posted I was done with this digression. But the moderator team leader didn't seem to have much of a problem, so I'll say I'm good.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Lots of these threads tend to go that way once the iPhone is being discussed.

Yeah it's just funny to me. You can people who find iPhone is a status symbol and find people who think Notes are a status symbol.. so now the debate is "no it's definitely (X) group who thinks it's more so a status symbol!"

Just baffles me as to why it matters :p.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it's just funny to me. You can people who find iPhone is a status symbol and find people who think Notes are a status symbol.. so now the debate is "no it's definitely (X) group who thinks it's more so a status symbol!"

Just baffles me as to why it matters :p.
It matters only to teenaged girls but I've never heard of anybody who thinks any Android phone is like that. Better not cooler

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Except you have provided nothing to back this up. In fact, your first two examples demonstrate the linkage of status and cost/accessibility . Then for the second part of your post, all you say is that average people can purchase as phone and that doesn't mean it's not a status symbol. No argument to why it actually is a status symbol.

For reference: Webster's definition of status symbol: something (such as an expensive car) that a person owns and that shows wealth or a high social status.

Edit: I just recalled I think I posted I was done with this digression. But the moderator team leader didn't seem to have much of a problem, so I'll say I'm good.

Status means premium. In the world of cars, watches, houses etc, premium means expensive AND out of the reach of most people.

But iPhones are perceived as the premium phone in general. Even in movies, TV etc, whenever a smartphone is referred by brand its almost always Apple/ iPhone.

Its just that in this case, premium can still be afforded by a lot of people. As an iPhone is still a lot cheaper than a Rolex, BMW etc.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Status means premium. In the world of cars, watches, houses etc, premium means expensive AND out of the reach of most people.

But iPhones are perceived as the premium phone in general. Even in movies, TV etc, whenever a smartphone is referred by brand its almost always Apple/ iPhone.

Its just that in this case, premium can still be afforded by a lot of people. As an iPhone is still a lot cheaper than a Rolex, BMW etc.
I'd say we've contributed enough to this needless digression. We'll just have to agree to disagree..

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
End of the Samsung lag on phones, people are starting to just keep them be instead of upgrading.

Plus people are waiting for the 5g era of phones coupled by the introduction of the S10 series soon to come. Samsung is doing just fine.

Just watch Huawei approaching from the rear fast. They are making some beautiful phones.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Interesting thread deviation. Let me put my experience in this way. Amongst young people, iPhone is the "in" phone to have, the one you have to be cool and trendy and to be seen as keeping up.
Amongst adults, it's considered "the" phone to have, not about status but about the general perception of "the" premium phone.

Put it this way. When you want to search something online, the standard "Google it" comes up. It's just the standard, a perception amongst the mainstream community. Even though of course there are more reputable ways of looking things up.

Amongst young people, iPhone is the iconic phone and definitely a status symbol. Amongst older people, it's just seen as the premium phone to have. Just general perceptions.
This is sadly true

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It matters only to teenaged girls but I've never heard of anybody who thinks any Android phone is like that. Better not cooler

Well I doubt everyone here is a teenaged girl so it seems to matter to some others hence them trying to prove which one is more a "status symbol" lol.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Well I doubt everyone here is a teenaged girl so it seems to matter to some others hence them trying to prove which one is more a "status symbol" lol.
Ahhhh Note 9 is a better phone but imo only iPhone conveys status. They once did a survey among young women and one reason to NOT date a guy was the failure to have an iPhone. I doubt the phenomenon is repeated for any Android variant. jmo LOL

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Ahhhh Note 9 is a better phone but imo only iPhone conveys status. They once did a survey among young women and one reason to NOT date a guy was the failure to have an iPhone. I doubt the phenomenon is repeated for any Android variant. jmo LOL

Meh :p. There are still people who buy phones for status symbols. Just because you don't know one doesn't mean someone doesn't buy Notes for status symbols.

There are people who buy many things for "status" that you or I would not understand. Hence me saying thinking iPhone is the ONLY one that has this stigma is kind of funny to me since that is just putting on blinders for what some may not like.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

That right there shows the sad state of this and other countries.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps peer pressure is a concept easier to understand. If one's family or friends all use iPhones you must or be "left out" of things like. iCloud and imessage. If one's friends or family all use Android phones you can communicate with them fine with ANY smart phone. The iPhone is "cool". No other phone is. Perhaps the new Samsung X will be. IMO the Note line never has been although trying to make it a gaming phone rather than the business phone I loved may have been a weak attempt at making it "cool". The young determine and set these trends.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I think the reason more people still prefer iPhone is the ecosystem more than it being a status symbol.

It's the platform within the last 10 years I think many can say they have been on at one time. It's a UI that hasn't changed drastically over time so most are comfortable with it and prefer it. They know what they are getting with an iPhone.

And features specifically like iMessage and FaceTime helps keep them on it because most of their friends and family are on it and it's a richer experience.

iMessage is the best messaging platform out there, seamlessly integrating SMS/MMS within iMessage to be able to communicate with every contact you have in one app. And if you are communicating with other iMessage users (which for teens in US that's about 8 out of every 10 cell phone user) the experience is even richer with something as simple as sharing hi-res videos in your chats.

Google tried it with Hangouts but you just don't have that established userbase Apple already has and is automatically just part of by having an iPhone and Android users will never be able to tap into that.

And recently I am seeing FaceTime use really increasing and again just by having an iPhone you're already able to connect to FaceTime else that has one just by clicking on your contact. And with 12.1 you can FaceTime up to 32 people in a session. Groups of friends on at a time or the Family holiday party connecting with the ones that couldn't make it.

The iPhone is probably the best social device currently. Recent study show 8 out of 10 teens in US own iPhones and showed percentage only growing when asked what next phone will be. I think the iPhone is seen more as the "standard" phone to have more than status and no signs that will change for a while.

Meh :p. There are still people who buy phones for status symbols. Just because you don't know one doesn't mean someone doesn't buy Notes for status symbols.

There are people who buy many things for "status" that you or I would not understand. Hence me saying thinking iPhone is the ONLY one that has this stigma is kind of funny to me since that is just putting on blinders for what some may not like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali