Chromecast without wifi

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
. . .is a disappointment. I bought it assuming I'd be able to cast pics from my phone to my TV at the cottage or in a hotel room where I don't have wifi, especially at the cottage. First, the phone (Pixel 2 XL) cannot screen mirror without wifi, and casting within apps is unpredictable. The only one that seems to work a bit is YouTube. Google's own photos app never shows the cast icon.
Do not purchase the dongle if you, like me thought that guest mode or use without wifi would work well. Guest mode works fine as long as there is wifi. No wifi means almost no functionality.
End of rant.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
While I'm sorry that you got stuck and disappointed, that's been known almost since Chromecast was first sold.

It's like the "measure twice, cut once" axiom in carpentry - "ask here first, before you buy".

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
One little problem, ktjensen:

"Not Compatible with Mac, Android or iOS Operating Systems"

Which is odd considering it's a standard Miracast device and should work fine with Android.

Microsofts website doesn't have any compatibility information for it beyond the Nexus 5/9 and Lollipop.

All I know is I've had no issue with compatibility using Miracast tech and Samsung phones. That's going back to a Note 3 with Lollipop to the Note 8 with Oreo. Miracast even let's me cast my phone screen to my Windows 10 devices like my Surface with no need for additional software on either my phone or computer.

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
While I'm sorry that you got stuck and disappointed, that's been known almost since Chromecast was first sold.

It's like the "measure twice, cut once" axiom in carpentry - "ask here first, before you buy".

Indeed, I should have asked here. But I did what I thought was decent online research and I really had the impression I'd be able to cast without wifi. As I said above, YouTube seems to work, so one would assume Google Photos would too.

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
If you buy from Walmart or online you should return it. But since it costs less than $30 it’s not that much of a loss.

Get the Microsoft equivalent device

I will probably end up keeping it.
I did see the Microsoft equivalent but the website doesn't show compatibility with the Pixel series.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felisovci