Complaints about the Under Display Camera.

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I've been reading articles about the UDC and how it's not very good. What they don't mention in the article is that with the fold you have two other ways to take selfies. It appears to be good enough to do it's job, just not top of the line. This is the only phone Samsung could try it out on. Every other phone doesn't have other options.

I would have liked for it to be excellent but I'm ok with what it is because this is the only way to improve on it. Kind of like they're first generation fingerprint scanner.

What do y'all think?

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Considering how heavily it relies on software to manipulate the end image I'm guessing Apple or Google could have done better.

It's never going to look as good when the camera is under the display because the camera sees the display pixels and colors and has to filter it out in software. The screen isn't a high end piece of glass cut and coated to be a lens either, it's a display. Meaning it's also contending with less detail resolution, lower contrast, ghosting, etc to fix via software.

I'm impressed they even got it to work.

fishmd

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't really get why reviewers are testing it out and trying to take photos with it like selfies and stuff. That isn't at all what this camera is there for. The camera is really there for one thing only, video conferencing. And for that, I am sure it will be more than adequate. All the other cameras are for photo and video recording.

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't really get why reviewers are testing it out and trying to take photos with it like selfies and stuff. That isn't at all what this camera is there for. The camera is really there for one thing only, video conferencing. And for that, I am sure it will be more than adequate. All the other cameras are for photo and video recording.
I'm ok with them talking about it but they intentionally leave out the fact that there are multiple ways to take selfies.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes, there's a review on Phone Arena where the guy questions why Samsung even put a selfie camera under the display since they already had on one of the cover, and that you can also use the main ones while the phone is flipped open. It makes me question the people who review these things. Without any camera on the unfolded screen, you basically eliminated any sort of video calling/conferencing with the big screen. It's not meant to be a great camera and frankly, from the results I've seen - I think it's actually not bad at all - but to question why they even put a camera there is showing of someone who is a bit narrow minded when reviewing the features.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes, there's a review on Phone Arena where the guy questions why Samsung even put a selfie camera under the display since they already had on one of the cover, and that you can also use the main ones while the phone is flipped open. It makes me question the people who review these things. Without any camera on the unfolded screen, you basically eliminated any sort of video calling/conferencing with the big screen. It's not meant to be a great camera and frankly, from the results I've seen - I think it's actually not bad at all - but to question why they even put a camera there is showing of someone who is a bit narrow minded when reviewing the features.
Without a doubt reviewers say some strange things. It's kind of the same thing with movie critics.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Considering how heavily it relies on software to manipulate the end image I'm guessing Apple or Google could have done better.

It's never going to look as good when the camera is under the display because the camera sees the display pixels and colors and has to filter it out in software. The screen isn't a high end piece of glass cut and coated to be a lens either, it's a display. Meaning it's also contending with less detail resolution, lower contrast, ghosting, etc to fix via software.

I'm impressed they even got it to work.
This

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

I think they're doing it to test new technologies, I'd be playing with it and taking photos too just to see how well it actually worked.

fishmd

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I think they're doing it to test new technologies, I'd be playing with it and taking photos too just to see how well it actually worked.
Yeah, I mean that part is fine, but rather than complaining about the quality compared to a 10 and 12 mp camera, they should have a little more realistic expectation for what it is for. I saw one youtube reviewer saying it was so bad compared to the other cameras that Samsung should have just left it off entirely. I think some just don't get the idea of what it is for.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Just get rid of it. They can do video conferencing with the front screen, probably work better, they can set it on the table and fold it to the position they need it for video conference.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Just get rid of it. They can do video conferencing with the front screen, probably work better, they can set it on the table and fold it to the position they need it for video conference.
While I'm not big on selfies and don't generally use my personal device for video conferencing, I don't mind the extra selfie cam on the inside.

cknobman

May 15, 2018
Visit site
I'm with those that say get rid of the interior camera completely.

Let us have the big uninterrupted screen we want.

Phone does not need 40 cameras and there are already multiple other ways for selfies, conferencing, etc...

fishmd

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I disagree with you guys who want it gone. You all must not have to do much video conferences. Having the "two screens" is invaluable for being able to type while on call or looking at documents, emails, calendars etc... If this is to be used by business users, Healthcare workers, etc. they have to have this. You cannot do this with the outside screen. It is to small, limited.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I disagree with you guys who want it gone. You all must not have to do much video conferences. Having the "two screens" is invaluable for being able to type while on call or looking at documents, emails, calendars etc... If this is to be used by business users, Healthcare workers, etc. they have to have this. You cannot do this with the outside screen. It is to small, limited.
And like said earlier, the 4 megapixel is plenty for that. IMO, the outside screen isn't that much different then using a note or S series for conference calls. Ideally, conference calls what require typing and such I would rather use a computer. Conferencing on a cell phone would be more of on the go, short conference imo.

Either way, it's there on the big screen, and the ones like me that don't care to have it have to suffer with a hole in the screen. So, less megapixel and less intrusive is fine by me. There are other cameras on the phone if need better quality.

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Why get rid of it? The only way Samsung can improve on it is to put it in devices. This is the only device that can happen it because they have so many other cameras.

You gotta think big picture

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I've had to do several Teams conference video calls for work on my Note 20U this past year while not near my computer and I was thankful I was able to but doing it on a screen even as big as the Note 20U was an experience that could improve a lot if I was able to see more of the participants on the screen rather than swipe to the next page. I am glad it does have a camera inside and the demos I've seen with the 4MP camera seem totally fine for it. Video conferencing has to be one of the biggest productivity features of having a camera in with the big screen. I am totally ok with the 4MP when there's a 10MP on the cover which would be used for selfies and such.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've had to do several Teams conference video calls for work on my Note 20U this past year while not near my computer and I was thankful I was able to but doing it on a screen even as big as the Note 20U was an experience that could improve a lot if I was able to see more of the participants on the screen rather than swipe to the next page. I am glad it does have a camera inside and the demos I've seen with the 4MP camera seem totally fine for it. Video conferencing has to be one of the biggest productivity features of having a camera in with the big screen. I am totally ok with the 4MP when there's a 10MP on the cover which would be used for selfies and such.
I only use my phone for video conferencing when no other option exists. I guess once i get the fold it's possible I'll use it more often. I'm all for keeping the camera in place regardless. Also doubt they would ever remove it.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz