completely locked out of Nexus 6 - was willed to me

A

AC Question

My uncle died and I was given his Nexus 6. I factory reset it, but then it asked for me to log in with the Google account originally synced with the phone - which is his. I know his email (gmail) but obviously not password. I've tried everything, including talking to T-Mobile, Google, Nexus, Motorola, and filling out a bereavement form with Google. I'm stuck. I want to be able to use this nice phone and gift (I lost my phone in the mountains and am using the oldie but goodie flip phone - ha!).

I think I understand that rooting means wiping out the current OS and replacing it - and this will allow me access to the phone. I've googled for some info, but most videos or articles are a year + old; I'd like most update info if anyone has it! thank you!

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Rooting is likely not going to help you. The phone "calls" to Google's servers and reports the serial number or some other unique identifier and the server then responds with a status of either "locked to x account" or "free to set up with any account", to put it simply. The whole point of what you're going through is to prevent someone from stealing a phone and turning around to use or sell it. You're being blocked by Factory Reset Protection and there is no (legal) way around it. If Google allows you to recover your Uncle's account, you should be able to clear the lock using the password you set for it (after 24 hours).

Sorry for your loss, I wish I had a better answer under the circumstances.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J0SH