Corrosion on Charging Port?

Danielle Starcher

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
did you use an alchol wipe, pour it in port, or put on qtip? I would not think you would pour it in. i checked where my battery is and the card it still white. I think something got on my car charger, probably snow.

Stuart Aldrich

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I have noticed that since I have been charging my phone in the bathroom while listening to music while taking a shower that I have had a charging issue. I noticed green residue on the charging cord, which indicates oxidation. If the contacts are copper, then applying an electric current to the copper in a humid environment could accelerate the oxidation process.....

bugwugger

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I just got my phone back from samsung today that was still under warranty. says "your phone is beyond repair - corrosion, liquid damage. I had been getting the "voltage to high" while charging. I called them and they said the pba was bad and they wouldnt fix it under warranty. wtf wtf wtf. too bad I live in ohio or I woukd drive to them and sling it into there window.

my phone just turned off one day during charging and wouldn't turn back on at all even with a new fully charged battery. never been near water.

anyone want to help ?? I will even paypal you $$ for help thanks
email me majik.6family@hotmail.com

djrev69

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
ok I understand that everyone here is upset, but if you havenet even seen the charging port how can you comment on the post at all, Sure it could be caused by a number of things but how do you know about this one, you dont.

- - - Updated - - -

ok I understand that everyone here is upset, but if you havenet even seen the charging port how can you comment on the post at all, Sure it could be caused by a number of things but how do you know about this one, you dont.

Jase Hylton

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I agree to disagree with you. All though I have never had a problem all my ports get that corrosion on all the cell phones I have ever had. It is due to humidity because it is common sense. The problem is that they most likely already "gave u the phone for free" (not really u pay for it in the long run) so they don't want to spend any more money on it. Manufactor warranties are scams w/ so many loopholes that they disclaim to make it a legal scam. Why do u think they are always trying to sell u extended warranties. I am upset cause the same type of uncontrollable corrosion caused my touch screen to stop working and they want $600.00 from the factory to fix it. Unless I can get samsung to do something about it I will never purchase their brand again. I was a loyal customer with five plasmas varying from 40" to 60", various laptops, 3 galaxys, amongst a dozen other samsung cells. Come in my house and you see samsung all over, car steroes, home stereos, etc... I like samsung but this is ridiculous.

brandyrroid

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Just registered to say i had exact same problem on mine. While in the Sprint store today I saw another user with also same problem and both of us got the same BS about water in the charge port. Phone is < 1 year old , bought brand new. Not sure what next step is, but not happy with Sprint at all. Or Samsung. 2nd samsung this happened to me on (Epic and s3).

dj ozone

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Had this problem also...what type of copper is Samsung using in these ports?...at least they could make the charging port easy to swap out for repairs...

im done with Samsung and off to Moto X as soon as it drops on Sprint...

Roxy Boardman

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I have the Note II, less than 6 months. I was on vacation in S Dakota, and the first night I plugged into charge and by morning it had only charged to 15%, and if you watched it, it would go down even more. I stopped in ATT store in S Dakota thinking it was the battery. They checked battery was fine, and if they put a charged battery in the phone, everything worked. My texts came through, emails were popping up etc. They said the charging port was loose and not making contact. Said that was a manufacture defect, to send into Samsung, and they would send me a replacement phone for $35. So I got back home on Monday, called Samsung who said no replacement, my warranty is fix only (which is a lie after I found my warranty), and they would send me a shipping label to send my phone in, I also called US Cellular (my carrier) and they said usually charging ports are not under warranty but could run up to $75 to fix...in my mind still not bad after I paid $300 for the phone. Last night I called Samsung to see if they received my phone, and they said yes on the 30th but no one has looked at it yet due to the volume(?). Today I get the message that it is BER due to liquid damage...WTH...liquid damage where? I told that gal she was loopy. Phone was just fine, worked when I sent it to them, just needs a new port. If there is liquid damage it came from you warehouse or someone needs glasses. How can they do this. She had enough guts to ask if I dropped it in water. I said if I dropped it in water wouldn't the whole damn phone be screwed up. Nothing else was wrong with my phone....HELP

needhelpfast

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I am currently under the same situation, I bought my galaxy s3 under boostmobile on august 2. This is my first phone , i paid around 500 for it. I paid for it out of my own pocket from my summer job, since im always studying i was finally able to get permission from my parents for me to buy it. I sent it in October and i just got it back today with the same "your phone is beyond repair". No were near water, never dropped, and nonetheless i am bummed out. I will not hear the end of it if my parents find out that my first phone will not be repaired after i wasted that much money.

Is there anyway i can fix it myself?

m8675309

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
@Greebe...my husband's Galaxy S3 just stopped working on vacation. We got home, and Sprint said corrosion due to moisture. The phone is a year old and has never been wet. We have paid the insurance to replace it, but need to send back the old one. The kicker is, he didn't realize there wasn't an SD card in it, so he has lost all of his pictures.

I was searching for the possibility that someone had a way to get the phone to turn on so I can retrieve the pictures before I send the phone back, when I saw your post. We also live in the Sarasota area!

I know your post is more than a year old, but if you could help me, I would be very grateful.

Please email me at Kitymom@aol.com.

bassamme

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I am assuming he has a google account and all of the pics automatically get backed up. Log on to your gmail account and they should all be there.
When he initially bought the phone it should have prompted him to set up a gmail account.

klgates20

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
im going through the same thing right now. im suppose to be sending my galaxay s3 to Samsung tommrow. now with all these posts im wondering if its even worth sending to them because apparently they aint going to fix there problems. like everyone else said my phone has never seen water and so there is no possible way for it to have gotten water in there like sprint began to tell me today. bunch of bull**** if you ask me.

bassamme

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
When I originally had the same issue back in august of 2012 on my epic touch, I assumed the worst from Samsung. 6 months after I had the phone and the issue with the charging port surfaced. Look at my previous posts. I kept calling Samsung and finally, maybe luckily, my phone was repaired and still working today. the port isn't as sturdy any longer and will let the plug snap out once in a while. It was worth sending for repair. That is my experience. Hope this helps.

klgates20

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
so bassamme Samsung did fix your phone? I was under the impression that they were saying it was deemed un repairable and was not covered. im trying to figure out if I should send mine in to Samsung and see if they will fix it.

cozloz

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I had this exact same problem , sent it off to Samsung to be told it was water damaged even though it had been near no water.

Last edited:

DanielGrady

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I was able to fix this easily and did not see it in the last 4 mo. Take batt out and spray electronic cleaner into the usb port. Let it dry then use compressed air to blow into usb port. This procedure fixed mine.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Jalil Khan1

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
Same happen here I am in Kuwait I bought my Galaxy s6 in July and its stop working in August and when went to the service center they says same thing even though haven't touch the water but they says its water damage ( liquid Damage ) and they was asking me to pay $320 to get it repair and my phone was still under warranty and I try to talk to them but they don't want to listen to me and once I received my phone from them it was open and they didn't closed properly after checking. I don't know what to do with. i talk to there agents they says the same that we can't help you on it this is the policy of Samsung. Only one thing not to buy Samsung product any more that's all I can do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d