ARCHIVED: [Custom Recovery] Optimus S/ Thunderc-sprint

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
What does it mean to put the file in the "root" of your SD card? Do you make a folder called root and place the file in there? Thanks a lot.

Root means "lowest level" of the card. I'm guessing you are on a Windows system, otherwise you might be familiar with the term already. On a windows system, when you "mount" the sd card, it gives it a drive letter, like "f:" The root of the drive is "f:\", so put the file directly there, so the file's path is "f:\filename.rom" or whatever.

danman132x

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
NEED MAJOR HELP QUICK. Rooting a friends phone and I didnt extract the zip files. Overlooked it since it wasnt in the original post. Still went ahead and follow all the steps, went into reboot recover and now at the LG recover. But from here when I reboot the device, or any of the 4 options, it just shows the exclamation mark. Pulling battery and restarting goes right back into LG recovery. I can still access ADB, shows the device attached in recovery mode. How can I fix this? Please help

Edit, nevermind, I got the phone running again so I can try again

danman132x

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
When I do the step with

mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak

It says no file or directory found. What am I doing wrong. Both files are extracted to the root of the SD card

RavenDBlades

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I rooted successfully, loaded a custom recovery and loaded a custom rom successfully. Now due to a minor error and having to reset the device to factory its stuck in a boot loop. it goes to the custom recovery within seconds of booting up. Please help if anyone knows what i may be able to do to fix this issue. Thank you.

infid3lkastro

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
When I do the step with

mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak

It says no file or directory found. What am I doing wrong. Both files are extracted to the root of the SD card

I got the same thing, as did others. Skip the step and keep going.

phufool

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm a total noob to android and have a few questions to get this custom recovery to work. First off do I need to be rooted to use this custom recovery or should I use this custom recovery and make a backup before rooting my phone? Also this adb shell thing how do I access it and what is it exactly? Is it like command prompt but for the android?

I also did some searching and heard about this app called "Titanium Backup". Does it work with the Optimus and does it create an android backup just like this custom recovery?

Thanks!

Last edited:

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm a total noob to android and have a few questions to get this custom recovery to work. First off do I need to be rooted to use this custom recovery or should I use this custom recovery and make a backup before rooting my phone? You need to be rooted. The steps are 1) Root, 2) Custom Recovery, 3) Whatever you want, including custom ROMs Also this adb shell thing how do I access it and what is it exactly? Is it like command prompt but for the android? You access it according to the instructions in the "Rooting your phone" Sticky in this forum. It's like a command prompt for the android, allowing you to access your phone via command prompt from your computer

I also did some searching and heard about this app called "Titanium Backup". Does it work with the Optimus and does it create an android backup just like this custom recovery? Yes it works with Optimus. It is NOT like custom recovery, NOR is it like the NAND backup in Custom Recovery. Titanium Backup saves all your apps so your settings aren't lost when you wipe your phone in preparation for installing a custom ROM. the NANDdroid backup in Custom Recovery saves the current state of your phone, ROM and all, so you can restore it to how it was if you screw it up applying flashed ROMs, etc.

Thanks!

Answers in red bold above.

tovinhudson

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I've got it booted into the Custom Recovery. Are there any steps on how to flash a rom from that point? Also, what's Update.zip?

Thanks!

Edit:

I think I figured it out.
"Update.zip" can be a ROM of any name.
You copy a zipped ROM to the root of your SD Card.
In the Custom Recovery you go to "Flash zip menu" and navigate to that zipped ROM.

I'm rooted, I have the Custom Recovery installed, I just flashed ThudeROM, and now I'm rocking the new Gingerbread keyboard!!

Last edited:

bullman2410

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Alright guys noob here, first time posting, and could really use some help....

Rooted using superoneclick, and using terminal emulator. I type su and get # to begin coding. When I enter the first line of code I get no response when I hit enter. After the second line of code I get "/sdcard/flash_image: invalid length" reply. If I ignore that (even though moving on is probably pointless) after the 3rd line of code failed on "/system/etc/install-recovery.sh - No such file or directory" in reply.

Again I am rooted (can use titanium, file manager, cachmate, etc), typing code in terminal emulator (b/c can't figure out adb on computer) w/out phone connected to computer. Both files are extracted into root of SD card.

Anyone have any ideas to what is going on?

Last edited:

ltrz

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Above post..using the one click root method can b a down fall when it comes to going into adb shell etc..may wanna scan some past posts some have had similar issues as u

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

bullman2410

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I've been up and down both this and rooting thread looking for answers to my custom recovery problem (not adb problem as of yet). The few individuals that did have similar problems unfortunately got lost in the shuffle and didn't get replied to, so thought I'd see if anyone had any pointers other than unrooting, and rerooting using adb/cmd.

But from what I have read individuals have gotten custom recovery to work in term. emulator/connectbot (which makes me think how I got to the root to be irrelevant) just not me for some reason I can't figure out.

Last edited:

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
That means you are either not rooted correctly, or before you type SU, turn your screen on. First time you use su, you will be prompted to allow persmissions. If you miss that screen and don't answer it, you will get permission denied error

realmeister

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
That means you are either not rooted correctly, or before you type SU, turn your screen on. First time you use su, you will be prompted to allow persmissions. If you miss that screen and don't answer it, you will get permission denied error

Followed the video and instructions to root my phone step by step and it worked like a charm! Z4Root seems to not have given me complete root access.

Thanks so much for your quick reply! :D

zman519

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Hi i got few questions what file should i use

recovery-thunderc-s-RA-v1.2-GNM.img.zip md5 = 154F1B8F73C02D0D1CCAD4B6E5EC3562 from post #34

or recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img.zip md5 = 6E1AFCBCEBDA3ADDA43AA76A408EC705

Can any one verify the md5 on v1.2 i did not see any hash info about that file.

I have an Epic and have rooted it flashed roms & odined it and all that so i'm not a total noob but my friend just got the Optimus S & i am going root it and stuff for them. Is there any thing like Odin for LG phones (IE a way to flash back to stock in download mode) to fix a brick?

Phone Baceband V9_6040

Last edited:

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi i got few questions what file should i use

recovery-thunderc-s-RA-v1.2-GNM.img.zip md5 = 154F1B8F73C02D0D1CCAD4B6E5EC3562 from post #34

or recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img.zip md5 = 6E1AFCBCEBDA3ADDA43AA76A408EC705

Can any one verify the md5 on v1.2 i did not see any hash info about that file.

I have an Epic and have rooted it flashed roms & odined it and all that so i'm not a total noob but my friend just got the Optimus S & i am going root it and stuff for them. Is there any thing like Odin for LG phones (IE a way to flash back to stock in download mode) to fix a brick?

Phone Baceband V9_6040

I used the v1.2 found in post 34 without issues. Not sure if that is the "official" one, though, as post 1 has not been updated to use it. If you do use it, make sure you alter the installation instructions accordingly to take in to account the different file name.

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
bullman2410 I have used terminal app its really easy once you got all the files first start with the file in the beginning because it will just be easyer cuz the updated file has a name change so when you have the custom recovery image extracted to the root of you sdcard grab the flash one in the bottom post and do the same extract it put on root of sdcard the go to the commands that are posted just before you paste the first command type su press enter if you are Not prompted with a grant permission for terminal app then you must have ignored it or aren't fully rooted but if you've akready typed su press entre the press space the paste the #1 command copy and past this
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
Then paste this #2 command
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
Then do this #3 command
chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
This command is tricky some times it work some it don't there is a miss spelling a can't remember what did to make it work but everytime I had to fix something and it worked but copy past this
#4 command in
mv /system /install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
Then if that don't work then keep it going then copy and paste this. #5 command in
mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
Then type the command in(last one) (yea lol)

flash_image recovery/sdcard/recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img
Then type reboot recovery and if you followed all the commands correctly you should have atleast the older custom recovery let me know if anyone else needs help ok the only thing that might go wrong is well I think could is if you copy and you not in landscape mode the phone might and a space where it shouldn't so copy text in landscape mode hope this helps and thank for everything devs just have to make it a little more simple lol for people who only could use there phone I don't have a laptop so I did everything from the cellphone :)

Sent From PrittyBoy203 Using The LG670 S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felisovci