Data throttling starts 3/23

one80oneday

Jan 25, 2011
twitter.com
Seeya good luck finding a prepaid that will give you anything near this for the price.

People like this guy is the reason for throttling. He is also the reason my troll radar goes haywire and I have to resist the urge to respond appropriately.

Does Republic Wireless throttle because they already offer Unlimited everything for $19/mo

VM please FULL THROTTLE me, I've love those speeds...

CloudBusterr

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
4257028c-7ce1-c7ab.jpg

This is the service I get at my school.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

ryuusei94

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Well. MetroPcs. Is now an official 3g carrier. I had my last phone ( huawei ascend ) activated for my mom. And she clocked in at about 954kbps down & 563 uplosd speed. For 40 dollars a month. And nationwide coverage. I'll stick with them. :3 virgin can keep their precious " 3g " speed.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Does Republic Wireless throttle because they already offer Unlimited everything for $19/mo

VM please FULL THROTTLE me, I've love those speeds...

How much cellular usage is too much?
It depends. Even assuming 0% wifi usage, for example, you could consume 550 minutes, send 150 texts, and download 300 megabytes of data without crossing the community?s fair use threshold. Everyone's usage patterns will be different, but we're confident you?ll be amazed at how little cellular you actually use when you have a phone that makes it easy to leverage the power of your Wi-Fi networks.

Well if it appears too good to be true normally there is fine print to confirm it. Im gonna just make a assumption that if you exceed the community fair threshold you will be out the door and it is pretty clear what it is.

Trust me Ive been looking into prepaid because I need "better" service and by better I mean the ability to roam and get my calls. Virgin and Straight talk are the only national companies with android phones and a value plan. ATT, and Verizon both charge as much or more for non-contract smartphone plans. T-Mobile has the best prepaid/non-contract plan at 50 bucks for unlimited everything only drawback is the initial phone price. However all of these companies have a cap on data usage.

buzz86us

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
it is odd here I get 4 bars and my internet is slow but back home I get 2 bars and it is far faster. I am just going to say screw mobile data it was nice being able to check email and stuff on the internet but when a company increases the price, limits you to a slower android phone unless you want to spend upwards of $150, then throttles the service I have to say I am DONE. I am going back to pageplus and my $80/2000 minute card with a Droid Incredible thanks to Cowboom. I can get mobiledata at $1 per MB but I am going to firewall everything but Google Voice for texts. At $25 with true unlimited the service was a good deal but at $35 with a slower phone, and throttling they can keep it.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
it is odd here I get 4 bars and my internet is slow but back home I get 2 bars and it is far faster. I am just going to say screw mobile data it was nice being able to check email and stuff on the internet but when a company increases the price, limits you to a slower android phone unless you want to spend upwards of $150, then throttles the service I have to say I am DONE. I am going back to pageplus and my $80/2000 minute card with a Droid Incredible thanks to Cowboom. I can get mobiledata at $1 per MB but I am going to firewall everything but Google Voice for texts. At $25 with true unlimited the service was a good deal but at $35 with a slower phone, and throttling they can keep it.

You just described every carrier available right now.

So let me understand this, you are willing to pay more for less just because Virgin is throttling data like every other carrier? No matter how you try to validate this there is no logical reason to do this. You are going to spend more money for less service then have to make your smartphone dumb just to avoid using data and being overcharged.

Nothing in your post makes sense period. It is like you wanted post paid service and phone for the prepaid price.

buzz86us

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
well I am not much of a talker and at $35 a month to have a service which is already slow be throttled it just doesn't make sense to me as a consumer to stay I barely talk on the thing I mainly use it for internet if the main reason I have the service is going to be throttled then it doesn't make sense for me to keep it. I like it while I am out to look up things as I need it on the spot but if that is going to get slower than it already is the I don't need it. Just for perspective I started with my pageplus card in may and I only used $10 worth of minutes. I also don't like how locked down their phones are Verizon is free as a bird compared to them. I'd stay with the Sprint network if republicwireless opened activation to Optimus V phones $200 is a bit steep to just have the same phone and no promise that it will remain unlimited.

Last edited:

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
well I am not much of a talker and at $35 a month to have a service which is already slow be throttled it just doesn't make sense to me as a consumer to stay I barely talk on the thing I mainly use it for internet if the main reason I have the service is going to be throttled then it doesn't make sense for me to keep it. I like it while I am out to look up things as I need it on the spot but if that is going to get slower than it already is the I don't need it. Just for perspective I started with my pageplus card in may and I only used $10 worth of minutes. I also don't like how locked down their phones are Verizon is free as a bird compared to them. I'd stay with the Sprint network if republicwireless opened activation to Optimus V phones $200 is a bit steep to just have the same phone and no promise that it will remain unlimited.

Are you serious? Verizons phones are not free as a bird. The Motorola Droid X was the first phone from Verizon that had a locked bootloader and that wasnt because Moto wanted it locked it was Verizon.

The only reason Moto is unlocking the phones is because they asked the users what the #1 thing they wanted and it was a resounding response of unlocked bootloaders.

This is also a very good case of not understanding how this will work. I would bet 90% of the people on VM will never see the throttling. Even you. If you are using enough data to hit the throttling point it would be best to consider a different service. However if you are going to firewall a phone to the point the only thing able to connect to the mobile net is gvoice for texting then you are only hurting yourself.

Also you mention for 25 bucks its worth it but 35 is too much. When they implement throtlling they are not raising the price for everybody. IF you are on the 25 dollar plan you will stay on the 25 dollar plan.

Again your reasons for throwing a fit are not warranted and a rational person not trying to troll the forums would see this.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Almost none of you will hit that limit.
Most don't use that much with tethering, and even if you do, many can't because speeds are so slow at the moment.

Moving to another carrier over the (soft) cap is pretty silly really. If you want to move, move for faster data, you aren't going to really get much more. Almost every carrier has some sort of limit, some are are limits (cut you off) and some are soft. 2.5gig soft limit with decent minutes for $25 a month is impossible to beat, except for speed.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
To all you complainers: You are NOT I repeat NOT going to get throttled. Do you realize how much you have rom do to go over the limit?! I tether my computer at home (rural area) alot, and I've kept track of my data to make sure I wasn't hogging bandwidth, and I'll say I've never used over 2.5 GB. So unless you stream netflix (you should be using wifi anyway) or tethering your ps3 playing COD, you'll be fine. Stop complaining about Virgin Mobile, they are the Mother of prepaid. We have them to thank for the rise of other cheap plans.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

Non-throttled Unlimited plans are not physically or economically possible. Stop complaining. $35 is what you would pay on Verizon for HARD caped data only that is without voice or messaging prices added on.

Sent from space

markusf21

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I have been with virgin since mid June and I don't think I have used 2.5GB total let alone in one month. But then again I haven't had 3g where I live before last Tuesday

anon283326

Android Addict
Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I've been with VM since January of '11. Yeah, I'm not going to lie, their plans are unbeatable, but their service? Well, let's just put it this way....anyone who can use 2.5 GB OF DATA within a month is really using their phone too f**king much :p

Every since day one with VM I've had two things the same the entire time: 1) An Android smartphone, and 2) said smartphone with root privileges, ROM'd, custom recovery, bootlogo, splash screen, CPU, the works. And for me, that unlocks a bunch more features that I like to use, like WiFi-tethering, USB tethering, Sprint's new 1120 PRL (better signal = faster data speeds), etc. Not to mention the tons of ROMs I've downloaded over 3G (hehe hehe hehe).

And with all of that going on every month, guess what? The closest I've EVER come to 2.5 GB is uhh....perhaps somewhere around 1.8 GB. Let's do a recap: 90.0+ MB ROM downloading, WiFi/USB tethering, faster data speeds, and all this going on over pretty much every month, and no 2.5 ceiling hit yet? Speaks for itself right there...lol

Sent from my Motorola Triumph using Tapatalk

flagcitysteelers

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
So funny. I switched from PlatinumTel to Virgin Mobile because I was afraid of the data the optimus or Android in general might use. I'm still happy enough with VM due mainly to the OV & all the great support. But the data speeds are horrible. One can only hope that there really are a bunch of abusers that will help to free up some bandwidth.. The way I look at it, it can only free up some bandwith for others, but to what extend- probably not noticable, but who knows.. The variance in data speed is huge from one area to another so, we'll have to wait and see.

buzz86us

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
yeah I don't get it myself I am in Albany which is a pretty decent sized city and data is faster there with 2 bars than it is here than it is here in the catskills with 4.

anon283326

Android Addict
Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
There's no way that can be correct. Maybe the ping, but everything else seems exaggerated. Here is what I got with the Sprint 1120 PRL:

anon283326

Android Addict
Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
....A little better results with download in the next test, but still NO WHERE near what you supposedly achieved...