Data throttling starts 3/23

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm just bothered that there doesn't seem to be a good infrastructure for 3g and 4g to support heavy data use yet.
There is with most carriers the network can handle it. That is why they offer wifi hotspot devices and plans for the phones. Virgin piggybacks on Sprints network. We get the sloppy seconds left over from them. Sitting in STL my cousins wifes sprint phone gets full 3g, my Optimus V barely gets dial up.

There is, these people aren't interested though.

Wireless Internet — Mobile 4G Wireless Internet Access from CLEAR
They offer 4g mobile and home for high data use like these people need.
Problem with that is its not available everywhere, atleast the 4g service.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Clear is running on Sprints Wimax net. I think that's what we'd call 3.5G as opposed to the true 4G of LTE. Sprint announced they were divesting of Clear about the same time they announced they would go LTE.

I'm sure you knew this already...

Sent from my LG Optimus V CM7/IHO

LTE still isn't technically true "4G" but carriers like to throw 4G around about anything faster than 3G.

Sent from space

frigginjoe

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
There is, these people aren't interested though.

Wireless Internet — Mobile 4G Wireless Internet Access from CLEAR
They offer 4g mobile and home for high data use like these people need.

I looked into that, and it's not available in my area, which is why I included the availability of 4G as part of the problem.
Sprint/Clear 4G looks like a decent solution that's still waiting on more national coverage.

Edit: I just wanted to note I'm not really complaining about my service, I'm personally fine with my coverage. I just think it stinks for people who thought they bought a phone and signed up for something, then had it switched on them.

Last edited:

stevek28

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
VM provides no way to determine how much data usage one has used inside one billing cycle.. How can you intelligently monitor your usage without the proper tools.They set up a bar and then blindfold you so you can't tell how close to the bar you are.

I believe it is just a way to increase revenue. You can reset your 2.5 gigs by paying your monthly charge ahead of your normal billing cycle. That way VM gets more than 12 payments per year

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
VM provides no way to determine how much data usage one has used inside one billing cycle.. How can you intelligently monitor your usage without the proper tools.They set up a bar and then blindfold you so you can't tell how close to the bar you are.

I believe it is just a way to increase revenue. You can reset your 2.5 gigs by paying your monthly charge ahead of your normal billing cycle. That way VM gets more than 12 payments per year

There are PLENTY of data usage monitering apps out there, we don't need more bloatware from VM.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
There are PLENTY of data usage monitering apps out there, we don't need more bloatware from VM.

Those all work fine until you install a fresh new rom and dont have the data saved. I think hes suggesting Virgin needs to get teh web interface up to speed.

sisblub

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
To all you complainers: You are NOT I repeat NOT going to get throttled. Do you realize how much you have rom do to go over the limit?! I tether my computer at home (rural area) alot, and I've kept track of my data to make sure I wasn't hogging bandwidth, and I'll say I've never used over 2.5 GB. So unless you stream netflix (you should be using wifi anyway) or tethering your ps3 playing COD, you'll be fine. Stop complaining about Virgin Mobile, they are the Mother of prepaid. We have them to thank for the rise of other cheap plans.

Hmm I'm not sure I agree, I have wifi at home and only tether my laptop when I'm out studying at Starbucks (again only coz my laptop won't connect to the Starbucks wifi for some odd reason) and I've already hit 5Gb for this month. I would say I'm a moderate to heavy user at times watching YouTube and such, but I think you can easily use more than 2.5 Gb with even light to moderate use.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
It's a phone.
You bought it without the ability to even store 2.5 gigs of data, and that includes the SDcard it came with. Other than Netflix, If you are using that much data ,it's pretty darn good odds you are doing something with it against VM's rules.

I do agree though, the website should give you an indicator on usage.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Hmm I'm not sure I agree, I have wifi at home and only tether my laptop when I'm out studying at Starbucks (again only coz my laptop won't connect to the Starbucks wifi for some odd reason) and I've already hit 5Gb for this month. I would say I'm a moderate to heavy user at times watching YouTube and such, but I think you can easily use more than 2.5 Gb with even light to moderate use.

Perfect case in point.
You are tethering, which is against their policy. Video is the fastest way to suck down bandwidth, especially on a laptop where you will get higher resolution. You Tube adjusts resolution based on the device.

Why not fix the Starbucks problem.

Reactions: Eollie

sisblub

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It's a phone.
You bought it without the ability to even store 2.5 gigs of data, and that includes the SDcard it came with. Other than Netflix, If you are using that much data ,it's pretty darn good odds you are doing something with it against VM's rules.

I do agree though, the website should give you an indicator on usage.

What do you mean without the ability to store 2.5 Gb worth of data? Doesn't the GN come with 32 Gb of memory? And doesn't VZW have a tethering plan, which means I'm not doing something against the rules? And the YouTube use was on my phone, not on the laptop. My point is that just because you use lots of data doesn't mean you're breaking the rules.

Oh and for the Starbucks thing, I've called the Starbucks internet help line and best buy and even called the manufacturer and no one seems to know why I'm only unable to connect to the Starbucks wifi. Its so weird, I can connect to every other wifi except Starbucks. Kind of annoying actually.

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
What do you mean without the ability to store 2.5 Gb worth of data? Doesn't the GN come with 32 Gb of memory? And doesn't VZW have a tethering plan, which means I'm not doing something against the rules?

This thread concerns the Optimus V on Virgin Mobile USA, not Verizon. So I don't see where you have anything to complain about. Tether your Nexus to your heart"s content

sisblub

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
This thread concerns the Optimus V on Virgin Mobile USA, not Verizon. So I don't see where you have anything to complain about. Tether your Nexus to your heart"s content

Oh I'm sorry, I just came into this thread looking just at the title and not what forum it was located in. Sorry about all of my irrelevant posts above, didn't mean to waste anyone else's time, my bad

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
What do you mean without the ability to store 2.5 Gb worth of data? Doesn't the GN come with 32 Gb of memory? And doesn't VZW have a tethering plan, which means I'm not doing something against the rules? And the YouTube use was on my phone, not on the laptop. My point is that just because you use lots of data doesn't mean you're breaking the rules.

Oh and for the Starbucks thing, I've called the Starbucks internet help line and best buy and even called the manufacturer and no one seems to know why I'm only unable to connect to the Starbucks wifi. Its so weird, I can connect to every other wifi except Starbucks. Kind of annoying actually.

Oh I'm sorry, I just came into this thread looking just at the title and not what forum it was located in. Sorry about all of my irrelevant posts above, didn't mean to waste anyone else's time, my bad

/facepalm

klasix

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Lol its 250 before you add in how much current vm data usage is, I get 2mb/s on mine but it can get down to 60kb/s at high usage times so u can only imagine 250, plus I run out of 2.5gb in three days when I don't use it much lol so this will affect me -_-

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Lol its 250 before you add in how much current vm data usage is, I get 2mb/s on mine but it can get down to 60kb/s at high usage times so u can only imagine 250, plus I run out of 2.5gb in three days when I don't use it much lol so this will affect me -_-

Im sorry but I call bullsitte. There is too many people here that use the phone daily and are in no way going to get close to the cap. If you are using that much stop tethering.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

7176nelson-haha.gif

ClayJayBro

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not exactly happy about it, but I know for a fact that I won't be throttled. 2.5gb's of data, running on 3G would take me a bit. Aside from that I use WI-FI whenever I have the chance to.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick