ARCHIVED: [DEAD ROM] ThundeROM V1.8.3 4/5/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
What's the process to go to the VC update...I'm coming from ThundeRom 1.6.2 right now. I think I missed something because I thought that update was causing people to lose root. Please someone explain. thanks.

MaXXimus

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

Hi Maxximus! I think what he was asking (and I am kind of wondering the same thing) is that there are people posting that they are successfully using the LG updater tool to update to VC, then installing TR-1.7 for VC from 1.6.2 with custom recovery and once it is installed they have root and everything is working fine. I must admit with all the different posts and methods I am still a bit befuddled, which is why for the moment I am still at 1.6.2 ;)

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Please see my post about 4 or 5 posts back in this thread

I saw it :) And others similar. I guess I am one of those "measure twice, cut once" kind of people. Sure, if I don't have to revert, root,and all that then I'm in, but I want to make sure an alternative method works for a lot of people because a lot of times taking the shorter route can get you into trouble. Am trying to get up the nerve to do it as I type...

MaXXimus

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi Maxximus! I think what he was asking (and I am kind of wondering the same thing) is that there are people posting that they are successfully using the LG updater tool to update to VC, then installing TR-1.7 for VC from 1.6.2 with custom recovery and once it is installed they have root and everything is working fine. I must admit with all the different posts and methods I am still a bit befuddled, which is why for the moment I am still at 1.6.2 ;)

Carrie, I understand the confusion. To be honest, I'm not quite ready to take the plunge myself. :eek: Still have one Optimus on TR 1.6.2 and another on Lego ROM. :cool: It seems like a lot of people have tried their own methods and steps to get to VC with the least resistance possible (with varying results I might add). For me though, I think following the guide linked to above and then following the thread instructions for the desired ROM will yield the best/safest results.

I'm not savvy enough yet to get myself out of a nasty situation.

Robchaos_

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
The lg update tool does not touch the recovery partition, so moving from tr or lego rom to baseband vc using the lg tool does not require you to unroot or revert back to any previous version, and there is no need to reroot. it seems that the people having trouble are the ones trying to take the long way around by unrooting and reverting to v9 etc. etc. if you already have a custom recovery in place this should be very straightforward.

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
The lg update tool does not touch the recovery partition, so moving from tr or lego rom to baseband vc using the lg tool does not require you to unroot or revert back to any previous version, and there is no need to reroot. it seems that the people having trouble are the ones trying to take the long way around by unrooting and reverting to v9 etc. etc. if you already have a custom recovery in place this should be very straightforward.

Can I run the update tool while on TR 1.6?

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

I had a custom recovery already in place. Was using TR 1.6.2, V9. Downloaded TR 1.7 but only put it at the root of my sd card..did not zip. Made a nandroid backup. Updated via LG tool. Let the phone reboot. My custom recovery was nowhere to be found and I have lost root. So, I guess it could be worse. I could have the dreaded LG symbol and a bricked phone. I am so mad at myself for doing it right now. I should have left well enough alone because I had successfully rooted and had my phone the way it was before this stupid VC update. C'est la vie.

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes you can. See post #1760 in this thread for the steps I took. I am posting this from my phone and everything is working fine.

Since I now know after last night's debacle that I can use Emergency Mode to get my phone back if need be, I'm much more inclined to try this method. Even after painstakingly going through all the step by steps, it only resulted in me being stuck at the LG Logo indefinitely. At least this way I'll know if I'm stuck at the LG Logo within a few minutes vs 45.

Public service announcement: The other stated method of completely reverting to stock and upgrading piece by piece, re-rooting, installing custom recovery and then going from there HAS worked for lots of people. But certainly didn't for me :(

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I had a custom recovery already in place. Was using TR 1.6.2, V9. Downloaded TR 1.7 but only put it at the root of my sd card..did not zip. Made a nandroid backup. Updated via LG tool. Let the phone reboot. My custom recovery was nowhere to be found and I have lost root. So, I guess it could be worse. I could have the dreaded LG symbol and a bricked phone. I am so mad at myself for doing it right now. I should have left well enough alone because I had successfully rooted and had my phone the way it was before this stupid VC update. C'est la vie.

Are you saying you let the phone completely boot up after you flashed via LG Tool? Seems to me that you are supposed to force it into custom recovery without ever letting it boot back up (or try to, as the case may be) the first time. Then wipe cache/dalvik, and flash 1.7 from there.

Reactions: CarrieK

Robchaos_

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you have something else going wrong then, there are more then just myself who have followed this procedure successfully. instead of trying to access recovery by holding the keys down, see if you can get into it by connecting the phone to your pc, then getting into your cmd prompt and go to your tools folder and type adb reboot recovery. that is just from the command prompt, not the adb shell.

Robchaos_

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Can I run the update tool while on TR 1.6?

Are you saying you let the phone completely boot up after you flashed via LG Tool? Seems to me that you are supposed to force it into custom recovery without ever letting it boot back up (or try to, as the case may be) the first time. Then wipe cache/dalvik, and flash 1.7 from there.

I let the phone fully boot up. I did not touch it though. Once I saw the sprint id screen I did adb reboot recovery from my command prompt to get into recovery.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Fingers crossed here...I took the battery out, put it back in. Then, I was so mad I pushed the power and home and down keys as hard as I could like I was trying to kill it and lo and behold, there came my custom recovery...I have wiped data, cache, davlik and just installed TR 1.7...android screen up now...

ColdRush

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
See post #1, specifically the "requirements" note

The data problems and handsfree problems are caused by your phone being unable to verify it's PRL, PRI, and profile. You'll also likely be noticing less than stellar performance because your phone is constantly using resources to achieve the verifications i mentioned above. The fix is to go through the process of updating your baseband to the newest radio. That process is described in length in the root sticky.

Excellent, will do.

Thanks again.

Edit: I'm not seeing any instructions for updating my baseband in either of the root threads.

Edit 2: Got it.

Last edited:

Robchaos_

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
So it seems the problem is not losing recovery, it is unresponsive buttons! Everyone use the command prompt to "adb reboot recovery" to save some worry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MansiDaware